Some days ...

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Ozark Nick, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

Three nights ago I tried to have a quick smoke, I filled my pipe half full and proceeded to go at it.

Had nothing but problems, felt like I was trying to draw a brick through the stem. Finally just dumped the bowl and said to heck with it. Later when I took it apart to clean it I found a filter with the end smashed shut! I quit using the filters quite a while back and don't remember putting one in this pipe. Oh well. :xd:

Two nights ago, I just had a crappy smoke. Kept having to relight, then finally got it too hot. And the mosquitoes were crazy! Just all around unpleasant.

But then last night ... ah. Everything went perfect. Bugs were few. Relights too. Perfect smoke all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

Anyone else ever have bad smoking days?

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

Bad smoking days do happen, I'm afraid! With me it's the taste of the baccy which can vary dependent on various factors. My overall form, the amount I smoke in a day, the weather etc.
    But I never have any problems on the "technical" side of smoking, i.e. packing, re-lights...
    And the cobs are going from strength to strength! I've got three in total now... happy days:)!

3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I do occasionally have bad smoking days, when the taste just doesn't click, and sometimes there are technical issues that confound you, like puffing too hard or packing too tight, though those are rare. I find that they happen on days when I'm nervous or preoccupied, or perhaps reflect an unconscious aggression that is being taken out on my hapless pipe. Once I tried changing my packing technique a little and it seemed like I was in a slump for a few days, even when I tried to go back to my old ways. I had to kinda re-teach my fingers how to do it right before I shook whatever bad habit they'd picked up in the process of trying something new.

My guess is that those pinches zancudos were distracting you enough to mess with your pipe mojo.

4. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I think we all have days like that occasionally, I can tell right now that this is going to be one of them.. it's hot and windy outside here ,and not real conducive to an enjoyable smoke.

5. telltime

telltime Active Member

I can relate... there are days where I don't pack the pipe well or something else is just off...

6. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

I had just the opposite happen yesterday. I got up at 5 am and filled my cob with Cool Hand Fluke and made myself a cup of coffee. It all came together and became one of the best smoked I ever had.

Bad days I have had...The good ones far are more frequent.

Ozark Nick likes this.
  7. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

Hear! Hear! :toast:

8. snowman

snowman Member

Good day's and bad day's. Myself I have bad tremors in both of my hand so that leads to problems when lighting a pipe.I can't use matches as I shake them out as fast as they light.So I rely on lighters.Old boy's are great for lighting inside but outside any breeze it won't lite,and this is when I count on the zippo works every time.

Alan.

9. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

Had to hit up Google Translate for that one! :)

They were definitely annoying.

HCraven likes this.
  10. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I was constantly fiddling with my bowl. Stirring the ash. Picking at the pack. Tamping, tamping,relighting.

I've figured out a couple of things via trial and error; the Frank Method doesn't work well for me. I'm continuously relighting because I botch the compression of the pack.

I can't remember where I heard, seen, or read this...but someone recommended simply taking a pinch of tobacco and dropping it into the bowl until filled; then taking a pinch and compressing until slightly below the rim. This has worked perfectly for me.

That and lightly tamping without constantly being obsessed with removing the ash. Took me a while to figure out that I need not over-work things. Just lightly tamp occasionally.

I'm finding the "good" days are when I'm relaxed and usually alone to my thoughts.

I do miss a proper Porch, though. Decks don't cut it with me.

11. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

I agree with you Stonewall about the packing methods.

I tried some of the fancier methods and never got anywhere. I just use my pipe like a scoop in the pouch. Then press it lightly with my finger till it feels like I'm drawing soda through a straw and light her up!

The most important feature on the cabin I'm going to build on my property will be a screened in back porch so I no longer have to worry about skeeters and such! :puffy:

Stonewall and RTOdhner like this.
  12. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

When it cools off some here in Texas, I'm going to landscape my yard and build an outside sitting and smoking area. Our porch is nice but it doesn't catch either the evening or morning breeze, so I'm going to set up a nice little area that does. I don't know what I'm gonna do about the skeeters though - maybe some of those citronel candles or torches.

13. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

There are certainly bad ones, but not that common, and certainly far less common than a badly rolled Cuban cigar. I used to buy boxes (legal in Aus) and 1/3 were not pleasing.

Far better odds with the pipe, with a bad smoke being 1 in 101.

14. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

The ever elusive perfect smoke. I'll have days where nothing tastes good. Strange, I don't remember the bad smokes, only the good ones.

Ol Brokedik.

15. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I had a horrible smoking week, last week. Between weather, working and allergies I got to smoke 1 decent bowl.

16. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Sometimes it happens. Just this morning I smoked some McClelland Oriental Blend No. 14.....great stuff, imo, except that it is rather stubborn in taking a light, and seems to go out pretty often, even with drying. I love the flavor and aroma, but until a bowl is about 1/3 gone already it's just kinda finnicky for me, even given a good 30 minutes to dry before packing. Whatever, I still like it :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.