1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Some help dating a Dunhill?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jussto, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I recently picked up a great smoking little Dunhill billiard from Mattia76 for a great price. He said in his listing that it was a '79, but looking at all the complicated charts and graphs myself it looks to me like it may be older than that. Regardless of age it was a great deal on a great smoker, in a shape and size that I really like:D, I would just love to know a little more about it's origins or history if possible.
    [​IMG]
    The left side of the shank is stamped 250 Dunhill Bruyere
    [​IMG]
    The right side of the shank is stamped Made In England with a hard to make out date stamp.

My best guess so far is that the stamp is a 7 and would date it to '67?

If anyone with more experience looking at these could help me out I'd really appreciate it!

2. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

I was just going to say "be yourself," have a nice dinner and get to know...

Oops, you're trying to judge the age of a pipe. Oh well, I got nothin'... :)

buistd and Old Codger like this.
  3. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

:haha:

4. Pappy

Pappy Member

5. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

According to that, it looks like the date code could be a poorly shaped "17" dating it to '77.

Am I on the right track? It can't be a '79 because it has a 3 digit shape number, "250".

6. mkelaw

mkelaw Sales Account

The 7 appears to be raised in relation to the "D" in England. That would make it a 1957. If the 7 is the same size as the D and level with it, it would be a 1967.

7. furious

furious Active Member

Tough to say for sure but looks like '67 from here.

8. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Thanks guys! It is hard to tell if it is raised, or just poorly stamped, or a very poorly stamped 17.

Does the three digit shape code give anyone hints? I couldn't find anything online as to what the 3 digit shape codes meant, but that made me wonder if it weren't a '77

9. furious

furious Active Member

It is unusual that the "7" appears to be a full space or stop away from the D, which supports the idea that it should be "17", but who knows really. 250 is a small/med billiard shape and was in the 1960 catalog:

http://pipepages.com/59dhc5

Sasquatch likes this.
  10. mkelaw

mkelaw Sales Account

According to John Loring's book (pp. 63-64) Dunhill used three digit shape numbers from its inception. In 1975 they decided to assign all pipes a three digit number. That soon proved to be unworkable and by 1978 a four/five digit shape number was used, the first digit representing the Group size. All of that doesn't really answer the question of whether it's a 17 or a 7 since a 17 could have occurred while Dunhill used the three digit system because 1977 falls into the conversion period. That said, I fail to see anything in the photo that indicates that there was ever a 1 in the stamp before the 7. The little dot after the "D" in England is too far away from the 7 to ever have been part of the same stamp.

11. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Well thanks guys for doing the legwork on that one! I'm still not certain, but I am pretty sure it's older than '77. Whenever it was made, it is a sweet little pipe! (It is very much like the 250 shape in the catalog.)

12. furious

furious Active Member

Only substantive difference between 67 and 77 is that Dunhill stopped oil curing in 68. Some say that affects flavor and others don't. I'm of the mind that after 20 bowls or so it becomes irrevelant. Funny though that Bill Taylor carried that process over to Ashton.

Jussto likes this.
  13. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Here are two Dunhill's, that may cause more confusion.

One is a 67/69. It is stamped with both a 7 and a 9, and I was told these represent the date made and the date to market.

The other is a '77.

Here ya go:
    [​IMG]

Jussto likes this.
  14. user2725

user2725 Active Member

15. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

The stamp of the circled 2 and A are on the same side as the Made in England stamp, so added to the rest of the info, my money is on '67.
    That is the site that got me to post this thread in the first place, made my brain run in circles!

Thanks guys! Now I wonder if some Leave it to Beaver father was puffing furiously on this thing waiting for his hippie son to get home after hitchhiking off to protest the war or something. I love an estate pipe, and this is the only one I can reasonably date!

furious, dwaugh and Spillproof like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.