Some moderate success with a rope tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by dmkerr, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Those that know me know that I consider rope tobaccos to be suspect... suspect in the sense that I'm not sure they are tobacco at all, but perhaps some cruel joke, perhaps made of a combination of pencil shavings, manure, soil and charred mice guts, with a half-carafe of nicotine added. My comparison was to duct tape ones lips to the exhaust hose of a city bus. The video that was recently posted where the guy was smoking some and puking up half a lung seemed to tell my own story with these monstrosities. Strong tobaccos? Sure, I smoke a lot of them. The strength of these ropes doesn't come close to some of my favorites. But none of the ones I enjoy are 1/100th as harsh as the smoothest rope I've tried.

So why oh why did I sample a bowl of Coconut Twist that was gifted to me? I LIKE coconut! Mixing it into the above concoction should have yielded the same mice guts after the mice got into the fruit cellar. However, I was cautioned to try it without clenching. Puff the pipe while holding it like a cigar. A short breath inhale, remove pipe from mouth, taste the smoke and quickly expel. This worked, to a degree. It was less harsh. Perhaps the exhaust hose of a Honda Civic now. Some actual flavor could be discerned. It wasn't good, but it didn't threaten to make me vomit. I can almost see how someone could smoke a small bowl of this on a $100 bet, if not how anyone could do it and truly enjoy it. It almost made me believe it was actually pipe tobacco, albeit a grade such as what goes into Paladin and M79. And that's a REAL improvement!

Any of you rope aficionados smoke this way, or are you all iron-lunged, tastebud-burnt macho hombres who eat trees whole and crap out splinters?

2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I don't sissy puff my Black XX. I smoke it like other tobaccos, and clench a little. The key to it being a smooth, flavorful smoke is to let it dry out a lot. That's saying a lot, coming from someone that likes to smoke tobacco a bit moist. Black XX is harsh and funky if overly moist. If it's dried out properly, but not excessively...

Black XX RULES!! :banana::hbang:

Johnny Dingo likes this.
  3. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

I like you Dmkerr have had nothing but bad luck with ropes. But i have been having some luck with cutting 2, 1/8 disks off end and rubbing out till its fine, then i let it dry out some and then i smoke it the next day. Wasnt to bad i can taste the coconut in it at least My first 3 attempts were complete failures.

4. Johnny

Johnny Member

I smoke a bit of GH Black Twist and have never found it harsh. Always really smooth and flavorful. The brown ropes I find a bit like a cigar but not harsh. Might just be your body chemistry

Monkey likes this.
  5. Capt

Capt Active Member

Dan, am I the one that sent you that coconut rope? I sent it to a few people. I LOVE that rope!

6. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Gawith Hoggarth black Irish X is the smoothest rope I have had and a great smoke in a smaller bowl.

SG rope is rough compared to GH IMO.

The cherry rope stinks as a smoking rope but does pretty good as a chew.

7. dmkerr

No. You wouldn't do that to me.

Capt likes this.
  8. dmkerr

Must be. I found that one as smooth as rollerblading on gravel.

Oh well, I'll leave them for the folks that enjoy them.

9. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

My rope experience is limited to G&H Sweet Rum Twist.
    Suffice to say, the experience was less than stellar. :thdn:

10. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

SWT is the only one I've tried, but I had a positive experience. The comparison was made to a cigar which I definitely understood, but for me the Twist in my pipe gave me the rich flavor I wish I would get from my cigars but never QUITE get right. I admittedly had a very tiny bowl, but I enjoyed all... 20 or so minutes of it.

11. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I was reading up on
    this one, and may add
    it to the TAD list.
    I'm actually getting on
    with Brown Rope no.4
    after several failed attempts.
    I dry it out to crispness,
    Then slice bits off the end
    (Not full discs) with a cigar
    cutter. Seems to work well
    enough. YMMV greatly.

12. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I suppose that's why there are so many different blends. Different strokes for different folks, one saddle wont fit every ass.

Tony Malerich likes this.
  13. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

haven't tried any of the contemporary ropes or twists--my only actual experience is one called Mickey Twist back in the '50s--it was right stout as i recall, but i remember the geezer i got it from had mixed it with an OTC burley and some homegrown/cured weed of his own--

14. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

Hold the phone a sec....did I understand correctly? Did you try INHALING rope pipe tobacco?!? :beyes:

I smoke my share of rope, but I never inhale.

I haven't delved into the SG ropes, but I've had quite a few GH ropes. Sweet Rum Twist is my favorite. As mentioned, it must be dried, or it simply won't burn. Though it looks like a dried up turd when intact, as soon as you start prepping it, it just oozes moisture and oil. I store the intact rope in a jar. To prep, I slice off thin slices with a cigar cutter...as thin as I can make them. Rub out the "coins" completely, and leave it out on a paper plate to dry until it is no longer "sticky" and is bordering on becoming "crunchy."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.