1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Some thoughts on sandblasted pipes.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Russell Hartman, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Here recently I was surfing the web looking at various pipe makers and their blast work.
    Its really cool to see pipe makers such as Rad Davis, JT Cooke and others with their blasts that bring out the grain with their ring blasts. Also I was looking again at Walt Cannoys "Suede Blast". Thats a unique concept when it comes to pipes. I am still unsure what to think of it as I would be worried that such tiny detailed blast like that may not be so durable(I don't know). Also I wonder about dirt and such getting into those extremely fine little so=pots on the pipe. Anyhow I was wondering what others think about the wonderful blast work being turned out these days--I am glad that these guys are sharing their talent by turning out such wonderful work.

2. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

In addition to the two above mentioned artists I feel that Master Blaster Bruce Weaver must be mentioned.

Russell Hartman likes this.
  3. Russell Hartman

Oh yes Rodfather I visited his site--he also is turning out stunning work. I guess that was my point in creating the thread. There are a lot of VERY--VERY talented pipe makers out there today(thank goodness). More than weird shapes that stray way off the path of traditional pipe shapes--for me there is just something totally eye catching with a nice ring grain blast an also the random textures in some of the rustications I see. I have two Sasquatch BST's that Todd did a super rustication job on that leave me kinda always taking the pipes and studying tham when I smoke. Call me weird--its just something about the texture as it appeals to the eye and hand while smoking them.

4. Russell Hartman

I also have to admitt that Walt Cannoys "Suede Blast" finish really has me intrigued. I looked at a "U"-Tube video that shows an up close video of his work. I guess its just the totally unique look they have. I wish I could actually hold one and really look at it up close for myself. If anyone here at PSF owns one of his pipes like that I wish they would give their opinions on them.
    My problem is--I am absolutely hooked on all these wonderful pipes being turned out these days. Granted one cannot own every pipe they desire but wow--I wish my PAD account was like a bottomless pit. Unfortunately its only a tiny hole compared to a pit these days. :haha:

5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Ever had one from the late great William 'Ashton' Taylor?
    OT

6. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I'm a big fan of the Ashton blasts myself. My next high-end pipe is going to be an Ashton.

As for more expensive stuff, I do like JT Cooke's blasts a lot. Very intense and craggy, some of them even look rather jagged because he really blasts them deeply and extensively. The problem with Cooke is I will never be able to afford one of his pipes.

Russell Hartman likes this.
  7. Russell Hartman

YEP--I have one Ashton--its a 'XX" Bulldog with red Cumberland--the blast is awesome to say the least.

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  8. Russell Hartman

I'm with you brother--I cannot afford most of them but I sure do like looking at the pictures.:byg:

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  9. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

10. Russell Hartman

Yes-sir Sidstavros they are beautiful blasts for sure. My concern is as to whether the extremely fine finish is durable over time from handling and such. Also I wonder how one would keep the finish pristine. I would think over time dirt and such could collect down in those tiny blast areas--how would one clean the exterior?
    I have looked at them in pictures before and although beautiful the cost and the questions above keep me from owning one.

11. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

I have sold or given away all my blasted pipes except one Dunhill County and a few by Lasse and Benni. Mostly because of the greater surface area which soaks up more stain. Some stains like on the pipes I mentioned do not taste bad. But to my palate most of them have such a strong taste that they ruin the smoke. I am sure an unstained blasted pipe would smoke very well.

12. Russell Hartman

The longer I look at those "Suede Blasts" the more intrigued I get. They are out of my league currently. I wish I could actually talk with someone who owns one.

13. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

There are definitely a lot of great sandblasters out there. Rad is my favorite, but I also really like my Weaver , Ruthenbergs, Thile and Butera. I have an Ashton with a great blast, but the pipe itself is not a favorite. Having a great blast is nice, but the pipe has to smoke great as well. My Ashton has a very uncomfortable stem and it does not smoke as dry as my Rad's and other American artisan pipe. I also have an older Upshall with a real nice blast that is a fine smoker. One of the best blasts I had on a pipe was a 1970's Savinelli Autograph. If you look at the Autograph's many have some very nice looking blasts.

14. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

When I started out pipe smoking, I thought that rustication was just a way to cover up bad briar. In the past few years I've come to appreciate a good blast. Still not too impressed with a chisel groove meandering around the pipe.

15. Whitespot

Whitespot Member

JimCooke is the man! I was fortunate enough to get one of his pipes 15 years ago before their prices became astronomical, and every time I smoke it, I stare at it and marvel. He once said, "a smooth straight grain is like looking at a beautiful woman with her clothes on. A great sandblast is like looking at a beautiful woman with her clothes off!" And Werner Mummert has really become a master blaster as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.