Spillman's Mixture - What's The Skinny?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bri2k, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

A lovely 7 oz. tin of Spillman's Mixture arrived today. I ordered it after reading some reviews, looking for the elusive everyday smoke. As I'm trying to stop "tin-hopping" and smoke what's already open, I wondered if anyone here has tried Spillman's and can tell me what to expect?

Thanking you in advance,
    Bri2k

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I have not however I would interest in what you think about it.

3. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Well I couldn't help myself and I cracked open the tin. I'm not sure Spillman's will be a daily smoker as it's a Latakia blend and my tastes run more towards Cavendish, but it's not a bad smoke at all. My initial thoughts are Spillman's is like a poor man's Krumble Kake, the Latakia is there but not overwhelming and the smoke on the whole is lighter and not as rich. I get more of a nutty flavor with Spillman and the Latakia backs off quite a bit halfway through the bowl. Not something a connoseur would rave over, but a smoke that might give your palate a bit of a rest before moving on to something more complex.

Bri2k

4. Traderbob

Traderbob Member

I tried some of this from an open tin in my local tobacco store and on my next trip purchased a tin. I like this one as well. I don't smoke it a lot, but when I want a break from burley it's a nice change.

5. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I've let the tin sit for a week and loaded up my Arnold billiard with some for my after-breakfast smoke. Opening it and letting it sit has really done wonders for it! The latakia is still there, but it's receded and now harmonizes well with the rest of the blend. Think black jellybeans and raisins and a hint of nuts and you've described my most recent Spilman experience. This one seems to get better over time.

Bri2k

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

OMG! Not the black jellybean syndrome! :eek:

7. lestrout

lestrout Member

I've come across a lot of buzz on Spillman, which I think of as the essential American English, ie Lat and burley along with VA. I have tried it from time to time, but I guess I just haven't quite gotten into burleys.

hp
    les

8. Introibo2009

Introibo2009 Member

People, Spilman is a great blend, but very light nicotene hit. I have a conspiracy theory that it is really Count Pulaski, but a kind of high-class Count. Tastes just about the same to me, but cut differently. I get out the Spilman when I want some of the fruity taste.

9. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Peter, welcome to PSF!

I find Spilman a bit too light for my taste... I mixed some GLP Robusto into it, and I liked it much better. I do keep some straight Spilman for an early morning pipe though, when I want to start the day easy.

One bit of advice that Bri2k gave which I found helpful is to let Spilman dry out a bit. I put some on a plate for 2 to 3 days, until it no longer feels greasy/sticky when I rub it through my fingers.

By the way, if you're ever in the Abu Dhabi airport duty free, pick up a pack of Condor Ready Rubbed, at $14 for five 50g packs, it's a steal!!

10. Introibo

Introibo Member

I bought a bunch of Condor in Doha duty free a couple of years back. They used to have Nat Sherman there as well. My wife is from Cainta Rizal, by the way. Are you in the Philippines now, or in the UAE?

11. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I'm back in the Philippines now (in Makati, not far from Cainta).

Re duty free in the middle east, another blend which I saw at most airports and which I'm curious to try is Amphora Red.

Amphora and Condor seem to be the only brands carried at those duty free shops...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.