Spilman Mixture

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Dondi, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I suspect Spilman contains some kind of humectant:

- there's a faint greasy residue on the bottom of the tin
    - doesn't dry out even after an hour under a lamp
    - when i rub out the tobak, leaves a sticky residue on my fingers
    - doesn't smoke to a fine ash, instead leaves a crisp dottle
    - instead of a hard gray cake, leaves a black sticky residue

Any thoughts on this?

Also, should I leave that black sticky tar coating inside the bowl, or should I ream it out?

Thanks!

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Oh man, that sounds SO much like Captain Black. I am not a fan of sticky black residue.... certainly I've had it, and those pipes are still alive, so it's not like it will hurt anything... but it's not nice to clean.

I suspect that your suspicion is right re: humectant/preservative. I find that some blends, particularly black cavendish containing ones, seem to be over-regulated in this way.

3. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

Yes they have a lot of PG, I like Spilman but like all Altadis blends the are pretty moist. I picked up several complimentary tins of Sutliff Blend 5 and Sunrise at the show they were the same way. :)

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Dondi - when I get that sticky tarry black residue on the inside of the bowl I dip a rag in whisky, wrap it round my little finger and the sprit shifts the goo readily. I'm particularly keen on shifting it right away in meers, as I'm told it can lead to a bitter tasting pipe.

Hope this helps,

Gerry

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Thanks for the tip Gerry, will do that the next time I take Spilman out for a spin.

I haven't given up on it yet... I left some out for a day and it really IS beginning to dry out!!

6. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I enjoy Spilman occaisionally, but I never thought about it containing humicants, although I read somewhere that most pipe tobaccos do. This would explain why it improved after sitting open (with the plastic lid replaced) for a week. Mine smokes well enough that it doesn't seem to need any further drying or rubbing out, but maybe I just got lucky.

Thanks for posting your experiences, Dondi. I've found them most informative.

Bri2k

7. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

acting on a tip from bri2k, i decided to see what would happen if I left some spilman out on a plate.

so i did... i left about half an ounce on a plate, and every 12 hours or so, i would check the moisture level by just rubbing it out.

today, it finally felt dry to the touch... didn't leave any residue on my fingers, and so i decided to give it another try!

and it's much better behaved!! I was able to smoke it to the bottom, leaving a fine dark gray ash and one or two stray crispies in the dottle. and no longer does it leave a sticky black residue in the bowl!

so, all's well that ends well... I've decided to keep the rest of the tin and dry it out in batches as needed.

with regards to flavor, I've upgraded it from a "mild, mild english" to a "mild english" (which is still too light for my taste). so it looks like I'll be needing some of that latakia blending component after all. :whistle:

8. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Looks like I screwed up in reverse, Dondi. I was really hoping you'd hate Spilman because I coveted your tin.
    ;)

Here's another thing I noticed: when I visit my girlfriend, I put some Spilman in an empty 2 oz. tin to smoke at her place (she loves the room note). It seems to smoke even better after being left in that small tin for a day or so. When I come home, I put any leftover Spilman back in the 7 oz. tin. This seems to re-moisten it. My guess is this stuff will keep nicely. I'm considering getting a 2 oz. tin of Spilman to age.

Bri2k

9. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz Member

I am enjoying a bowl of this right now. This thread had me wondering though. I bought a tin a week ago and smoked some right after opening the tin, same thoughts as Dondi's 1st post, but I never gave it much thought. Tonight I filled a Mastro de Paja and this is a great smoke! While I am smoking it, I found this thread and wondered why I was enjoying a dry smoke & fine white ash.
    Maybe I got a better batch? I opened the pint mason jar I had put it in and it was the perfect moisture level for me to smoke, so what gives? Then I realized the tobacco at the top of the jar (over an inch of air space) must of dried a little, dipping farther down into the jar reviled a higher moisture and stuck to my fingers when pinched. Im thinking maybe keeping it in a jar with plenty of air space is the trick to a good smoke with this. Whenever I smoke it, ill make sure to take from the top and leave the lid to the jar off for a few minutes to let in some fresh air.

Duke

10. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Good fix Duke!

I sometimes spice up my Spilman with GLP Robusto and other times with blending latakia. It's definitely quite versatile!

11. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz Member

I like the fact that there is a lot going on there, burley, latakia, different flavors at different times, good stuff. Now Ill have to try some mixing, Thanks!

Duke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.