1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Spotting fills

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Buckshot, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I've seen a few photos here and there of pipes that are said to have fills in the briar. I can't seem to spot the fills even when the poster of the pics indicates their exact location. It all looks the same to me. (yes, I am wearing my glasses :)) I guess I just don't know what I'm looking for.

So my question is: How does one spot a fill on a briar pipe?

2. phinz

phinz Active Member

If it's on an estate, it will oftentimes be a different color. On a new pipe you just have to look very closely for variations in grain. The fills will look anomalous. Sometimes they are very hard to see. Sometimes they are obvious.

Old Codger, SouthBound and Buckshot like this.
  3. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

It's very possible that the pipes you've seen pictures of were higher end pipes. Some respectable makers will release a pipe if there are very small fills. They will simply grade the pipe differently.

I've noticed that fills stick out better on an estate pipe because the stain has faded leaving the fill exposed. On a new pipe it can be much more difficult. Look for an irregular shape with a different, more consistent color. Because the fill material has no variation like briar the fill receives the stain more uniformly.

4. phinz

phinz Active Member

^^^What afiawoaowaoaoaooowwoaaa said.

Skrymr likes this.
  5. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Thanks, guys. I'm gonna do a Google Image search and get some practice in. If anybody has any photos of some pipes with fills please feel free to post them as a test to see if I can spot them. This has been bugging me lately and I want to be able to spot fills on my own.

Thanks for your help!

6. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

I have a Peterson zulu that is riddled with fills. It was my dad's first pipe, and then he passed it on to me as my first pipe. When he first got it, I remember looking at it and thinking how beautiful it was, the details of the grain, etc. Now that I have had it for a while, there are quite a few obvious fills, made known by the fact that the briar itself is darker from having been smoked many times, and the putty that is used in the fills has remained a lighter color. I still love the pipe, not necessarily because of the grain but the sentimental value it has. It still amazes me how many fills some makers will let their pipes leave the factory with. Oh well, I still love Petersons, even though they are dang hard to break in!

Old Codger, Rodfather and Buckshot like this.
  7. Atom

Atom Member

[​IMG]
    Can you spot the fills?

Sasquatch likes this.
  8. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Here is one of my pipes with a major fill. its a bentley from Dan tobacco in Germany.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

By golly I think I can! Are there four straight line fills on the side of the bowl and one on the shank? Maybe a small circular fill near the band too?

10. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Yep, I think I can spot this one too. Side of the bowl on the shank side near the rim?

11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Yup on all counts.

Fills, no matter the color or shine, never exhibit any texture - they are uniformally smooth patches of, well, fill. Briar, being a wood, has a microscopic structure, a detailed, intricate grain, and the harder you look at it, the more you'll find. So fills ALWAYS present as "blank spots" in the grain, even if they are color matched perfectly.

Buckshot and David Emond like this.
  12. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Yes sir.

Buckshot likes this.
  13. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

One thing on fills.--For me I dont mind a speck or so here, and there. I used to be so darn anal about fills. I don't like them, but realize in many pipes it doesn't effect smoking quality.

David Emond likes this.
  14. Moonrover333

Moonrover333 Member

Pffft well if you buy quality pipes you dont have them

Like this gorgeous quality medico here...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Holy Crap!

16. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

:xd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.