Squadron Leader tongue bite?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by LifeOfRiley, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

Working my way through my first oz of Squadron Leader and I'm surprised by how much tongue bite there is, particularly at the start of the bowl. I'm also picking up a bit of a metallic taste at the start. Soon after, everything quiets down and improves considerably. I've been smoking it in a medium-sized billiard.

Anyone else experience this?

2. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Is it proper tongue bite? or is it just the spiciness of the orientals?...try taking a sip of water when it starts to happen...

LifeOfRiley likes this.
  3. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Member

I've been smoking SL for a good while now, and have yet to expirience bite or a metallic taste. How are you lighting the old gal?

LifeOfRiley likes this.
  4. Iain

Iain Active Member

I didn't care too much for SL first time around but due to everyone raving about it I persevered, what I found is smoked in a briar it benefits greatly from a dedicated pipe with a bit of cake, it seems to blend all the flavours together a bit more and made the taste a little less sharp on my tongue. Smoked in a meer it's a totally different animal, it brings the Virginia background out a bit more, well worth trying.

LifeOfRiley likes this.
  5. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

Thanks, guys. I definitely see the potential there and I'll give it a few more tries, probably switch to my longest-dedicated latakia pipe, which is one of my first-stringers. The billiard I'd been using is a decent utility beater that I travel with.

6. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Maybe get a meer or a churchwarden?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.