Squadron Leader

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by fruktflugan, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

So, smoked some more of my Squadron Leader today and I really really like this tobacco.
    If you haven't tried it and like latakia, even if it's just a wee bit, then go ahead.

Rainy day, have been stressing a lot lately and today one of my big stressfulnesses worked itself out for the best. (met our studio landlord in court and he had to back down from his 50% rent increase as well as fix all ailments of the property)

So I went out on the balcony with my Falcon to smoke this weed yet again. Squeezed it into a little ball which I pushed into the pipe and it worked fairly well for the first time. Packed a little hard, but it loosened after the first couple of puffs.

So what to say on taste then...
    Well, there's some latakia in there. Some, but not overpowering at all (but I love lat so don't take my word for it).
    The first minutes with the lit pipe I experienced a little tangy leatherness, but that might have been me trying to tie my shoelaces at the same time puffing harder than I should.

Aroma settled down nicely after that. Squadron Leader is a little hard to place for me, so I'll tell you what I experienced instead.
    For me it tastes like what I imagine an old smoking room / library could smell like. Makes me remember when I was a kid and we moved into a house that had been sitting empty for a long time and the land owner (one of the biggest in the area) had a smoking-room that smelled faintly of cigars and perhaps the endless pipes that had been consumed there over the ages.
    SL has some of that feel... Some latakia, some old musky (but NOT offensive) "fine" people's smoking room, leather book bindings and all that.
    Then on top there's a slight flutter of a good cigar that like comes and goes as the bowl progresses.

When I smoked today I actually saw with my mind's eye a black and white photograph of one of them smoking sessions in the private library where men in olden clothing were playing cards, reading and drinking stiff drinks...

So... For me Squadron Leader is a small bit of the old world. A trip back to when men were men (/pigs) and women best stay out and far away from the boy's room. (grammar sucks, me be sweedish!)

Totally recommended!

2. justMike

justMike Member

You'd make a good sales rep Jimmy.. :whistle:

having tried (and bombed) with St James flake, I could be persuaded to give SL a try next... PAD time's coming up soon....

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Squadron Leader is good. And I'm not even Swedish!

4. slr

slr Member

Thanks for the review, I have been eyeing this tobacco.

5. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

If only it was easy to get a hold of. This is on my "To Try" list.

6. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

This review only makes me want to try SL even more. I can't wait for the next surprise shipment to come in; I'm definitely going to buy a few tins just to be safe.

7. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Your landlord should have joined you on your balcony for a smoke of Squadron leader. He might be a better person for it.
    You have the right idea about a smoke with Squadron leader. It's one of my disappearing fovorites.For me it's a good middle of the road English.
    Tell your landlord you have just the thing to improve his outlook on life.
    Be well.

8. Jay

Jay Active Member

My thoughts exactly, old leather and old books. You nailed it Jimmy. Wish I was smoking some right now, but it's late and I need to be up early.

J

9. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

How does smoking it in a Falcon compare to smoking it in a briar pipe?

10. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

Smoking it in the falcon was completely cool... I don't mean almost cool, I mean COMPLETELY cool... The stem wouldn't even warm up until the embers lay completely on the humidome and then it was all over anyway.

I TAD:ded today, giving in to Presbyterian Mixture (recommended as a SL-like tobacco by a kind member of this forum that profits somehow by keeping my TADdiction in motion) and Gawith's Skiff that is like SL but milder, sweeter and have more orientals and turkishes in it... Not that I need "milder" than Squadron Leader, it's just that I am testing to see what my preferences are.

Oh, and me as a sales rep... Allow me to die laughing/puking! :D
    I couldn't sell fire to pyromaniacs... (or wait... I could sell fire... I like fire! :crazysmile: )

In fact I couldn't sell ONE single product that I didn't believe 100% in myself. That **** is important to me, if I go out there with my face and recommend something it HAS to be something that I like myself.

I'm old fashioned, honest and really picky about things like that... B)

Anyway... If you get SL or any other sam gawith toby: Open the tin and let it dry out for like 3 hours before starting smoking it. -Needs some drying!

11. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

If I HAD to smoke only one Lat/English blend, it would be Squadron Leader. I bought a few boxes (250 Gr.) at the pipe Show two years ago...now have +/- 5 lb of it salted away. This really is reminiscent of the old "Gentlemen retiring to the drawing room/library" era of pipe smoking...the perfect all day every day tobacco. Great review!

12. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

Another great review! Your reviews always make me want to get more tobacco.

13. justMike

justMike Member

don't ya just hate it when they do that..?? the "to check out" list seems to double in length every week that goes by, but wait... it gets worse... when you DO check em out, and they make the transition from "to check out" to "GOTTA have" which, strangely enough, is another growing list... and always, just when ya think you're set up with a good range on hand to choose from and an interesting range to have a looksee at sometime, someone else hits ya with another addition to a list... ughhh...

14. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I know the feeling! My list keeps growing with every great review or comment on a certain tobacco. There are a number of blends that keep being mentioned like "Club Blend" or "London Burley Blend" that are moving to gotta have soon!

15. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

You are very good at describing tobacco, I find it very hard to describe taste in words. I will get some new tobacco to try tomorrow too, with my new pipe, Peterson system 303, Red Rapparee, Old Dublin and some Kendal Brown Irish twist. I'm really looking forward to trying RRR.

The only thing I can say about SL really is that I really enjoy it. :whistle:

16. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Quite a "leap of faith" (banked on all those who's 'baccy tendencies similar to mine), I jumped on 3lbs recently. So glad I did too. It's a great smoke! Really has a great lot going on and full of nice friendly flavors all singing their song(s) but never out of harmony with each other. Great work on SG's part and I pat meeself on the back for scoring this nice weed.

I believe Cup of Joe's and maybe Noggins still has some. 250g maybe the smallest though but well worth having 250g of this weed!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

17. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I think I'm the odd man out here, but I never took to SL. I don't mind mild, but I could never get any of the subtle flavors out as so many others seem to be able to do. Just always struck me as an underwhelming middle of the roader.

18. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

SL was the first english tobacco I ever smoked. Initially the tin opened with a Lakeland-floral fragrance more like lavander soap than tobacco. Even Mrs. Moo commented on the soapy aroma from across the room. It is a benchmark english blend that I always have on hand.

It doesn't hurt that practically all guys like the label, too.

19. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

yeah, i must be doing SL wrong. i've never been a huge fan of the stuff, but i'm glad you guys like it. toying with the idea of trading out the tins of it i DO have.\

IMHO the westmorland or skiff are better for gawith englishes.

@jpberg: i agree. the samuel gawith english/balkans have just never impressed me. they do great things with virginias but i'd take a tin of old dublin or GL pease over any of their englishes, any day.

20. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

Smoked some more Squadron Leader today and its YYYUUUUMMMMY!
    Also have some Skiff airing out moisture from the tin. Will be ready to smoke the first bowl in 3 hours from now.
    Some Skiff and some Presbyterian mixture!

Skiff smells WONDERFUL of latakia and oriental leaf... Mee oh my... Smoking that on the same day as SL will be a treat.

Presbyterian has a little more tone in the smell. Not so much of the Latakia, but more of other fragrances. A little like tar from when you lay that tar paper on the roof or when you paint your marine wood with that black stuff that often needs to be warmed up first.

Will save Pres for another day, but it's drying side by side with my Skiff. 3 hours for that too!

I'm almost wetting meself! :startle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.