St. Bruno and Gold Block. Where to get them?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bacek, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Bacek

Bacek Member

Hello. I'm a new member, please don't laugh too hard at my question. I live in US, East coast and can't find these too brands anywhere. Ordering from UK on-line shops is scary and pricey. Any way I can get St. Bruno and Gold Block for less than arm, leg and kidney?

2. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Nope, they are not distributed in this country unfortunately. One way to do it is to find a trading partner over in Britian and get it that way. That's how I do it.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

This is a difficult one for a number of reasons. Firstly most Brit tobacconists won't now ship to the U.S.A. because of credit card restrictions and sadly these tobaccos have not been imported to the States for some years for some obscure commercial reason.

British Chancellors are greedy - the current price of a 50g pack of St.Bruno as of this morning in ASDA/Walmart was £9.48 for 50g - say about $13.00 - at that rate you are probably going to feel done as you could end up sending more tobacco than you'd get back.

Being honest you'd be as well experimenting with the Sam Gawith or Gawith and Hoggarth tobaccos which Rich at 4Noggins stocks when he can get them - a brown flake is broadly akin to St.Bruno.

Though I have included Gold Block in my rotation since the 60s - frankly in it's modern reincarnation it is nothing to write home about. It was originally presented in Negrohead cut and had a subtle spiciness to its nutty flavour and could truly call itself the "Aristocrat of Pipe Tobaccos" then; nowadays its a mild burley in ribbon cut form which some would describe as tasting of either nothing or cardboard. You'd probably be better of with Carter Hall.

Best to all

Gerry

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

+1 on both posts, particularly Gerry's comment on the new Gold Block. I use mine for blending or to top off another blend that won't take the match too well. Taste-wise, it's very ordinary and not worth worrying about. There are 100's of U.S blends that take a similar recipe and do it better.

But I sure miss the old stuff!

5. Bacek

Bacek Member

Thank you. Will try to find Gawith and Carter Hall.

6. Bacek

Bacek Member

So, what particular tobacco blend is the closest match to Gold Block and St. Bruno? Sam Gawith has about 30 blends...

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Sam Gawith a hard to find these days. Try Gawith & Hoggarth's Glengarry Flake and Kendal Flake for St Bruno. It's sort of in between there. Perhaps Best Brown #2 as well.

FOr Gold Block, the more I think about it, the more I think Gerry nailed it with Carter Hall. I'm racking my brain to think of another but that's as close as I can come.

8. Burner

Burner Member

St Bruno is a one off. I've about 8 flakes of it and I'll send it to you if you want - It's not my thing anyway.

9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

A lot of St.Bruno flake smokers like Erinmore too...you might like to try it, I think it's available in the colonies?
    OT

10. Bacek

Bacek Member

Thank you, guys.
    Dmkerr, Gawith & Hoggarth's blends you mentioned are noted for order.
    Burner, thank you for your offer. Is there anything I can send you in return from States? If not - how much the shipping and tobacco is going to be?
    Old Ted: Erinmore is readily available. I will give it a try.

11. Burner

Burner Member

If you don't have enough posts for a direct message send your address to Burner at ntlworld dot com and I'll whizz it off to you - No chg there's not much of it but enough for a good taster.

12. Bacek

Bacek Member

Burner, I'm deeply touched! I received the St. Bruno you've sent me! Thank you very much. Will give it a try after some drying. Is there anything you would like to get from US? Any blends that are unavailable in UK?

13. raffles07

raffles07 Member

+1
    I never smoked the old GB, but CH is certainly a better smoke than the current one.

You might try GH Broke Flake #7 as being of a similar disposition to St Bruno. Unfortunately, if you really like SB, there isn't really a satisfactory substitute

14. Bacek

Bacek Member

Tried St Bruno today. Very interesting taste. I did feel some casing, but smell, taste and aftertaste are pleasant. No other flake that I've tried so far is close to SB's specific taste. Not going to be my everyday smoke (a little irritating for my palate), but will enjoy it occasionally.

15. Ryber70

Ryber70 Member

Ok. Tried St Bruno last night. Wasn't quite the smoke that I thought it was going to be. Won't totally write it off yet but it didn't really impress me. First, I rubbed it out and allowed it to dry for 30 min. Gravity fed the bowl and tamped lightly. Halfway through with the bowl, my pipe plugged and it became almost impossible to draw and keep lit no matter how much flame I put to the tobacco. Ended up having to quit and dig a soggy mess of tobacco out of the pipe. Lot of smokey leather taste with none of the soap flavor. Very spicy during the snork, singed my nose hairs. Not all that pleasant for a first bowl of a new blend. Smoked it in a no name Italian slight bent billiard. Will try again in several different briars and pick up a cob and see how it changes. On first impressions of British otc's, condor flake definitely has the edge so far. Updates to come........

16. Kayla

Kayla Member

I think you find St Bruno's will grow on you. I smoke a lot of Condor, st Bruno's and various UK plugs. St Bruno's is a fine smoke with a rich buttery grain flavor to me, but each to their own.

17. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I find the Drew Estate Gatsby Luxury Flake to be slightly st. Bruno-esque. It's still not the same though...