St. Bruno's Ghost - A Cautionary Tale

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I got 8oz of PS Natural Dutch Cavendish in the mail yesterday. I smoked a bowl last night, and could tell that it was different from their Natural (but only subtley so). I put four new jelly jars in the dishwasher, and washed and steralized them. I filled them up, put them in the cellar, and had about an ounce or so left over. So, I grabbed an empty 2oz mason jar out of the cabinet and filled it up with the left over Natural Dutch Cavendish. I don't normally wash and steralize these, since I only use them to hold left-overs that I figure I'll have smoked in a month or so. BIG mistake!

I did my normal routine this morning: filled a travel mug full of coffee, filled a MM Washington (with the Natural Dutch Cavendish), and loaded up the kids and dropped them off at school. After I dropped off the last kiddo, Mark, I sparked-up the Natural Dutch Cavendish. I thought I was in an old Batman episode, and the words "SMACK" and "WHAM" started popping up - St. Bruno returned from the grave to tell me he was still here! His ghost was not overly powerful, but it was strong none-the-less.

Don't get me wrong, I like St. Bruno and Lakeland essence tobaccos - but I like to know they're coming to the party. Seems the sample jar was one that I had used to hold what was left of my St. Bruno, and when it was gone I wiped out the jar with a damp paper towel and put it in the cabinet. When I re-used it, I wiped it out again with a damp paper towel. I could see not particles or toby dust or anything, but it was evidently still there. - either ghosted into the rubber seal on the lid, on the lid itself, or in the jar.

So, what's the moral of this story? Be sure an properly wash and steralize your sample jars if you plan on re-using them. Maybe even replace the lids. I just hope St. Bruno didn't curse my cob.

2. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

So how is the PS Natural Dutch Cavendish, without the ghost of course? I have not really smoked any PS tobaccos before. I am starting to explore them though, and your reviews are helping me along the way.
    John

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

St. Bruno is satan .

John , ya gotta try some PS products . Theyre in bulk mainly , and they have many blend that just rock ! The price for them is stellar

nitehawk likes this.
  4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

DEFINITELY replace the lids. Do not use the same lid for 2 different blends, particularly if the two blends are highly dissimilar. Lids are cheap.

St Bruno = THE finest OTC tobacco in the world, bar none. IMHO, of course! But yeah, I'd prefer not to taste it unless I'm smoking it!

5. TxPipesmoker

I have only tried the LTF that a member here sent me. I can honestly say I was impressed. One of the few tobaccos I have smoked 3 bowls of in one sitting.

6. ruffinogold

There ya have it ! That one's my favorite of theirs .. in a pot shape ... it's sublime

7. RTOdhner

It has a very pleasant and delicate Virginia quality to it. There is some sort of flavoring agent in there that I can't figure it out, but it is very very mild. I think it (and it's brother Natural- that's the name, just Natural) are great morning smokes. Well, the Natural Cavendish has the potential to be a great morning smoke, but I corrupted it with the Lakeland gene.

8. RTOdhner

He speaks truth! I learned the hard way, and I'm glad it was only about an ounce that got corrupted and not the main cellar.

9. RTOdhner

St. Bruno is satan?! Ha! I laugh at you and your supersticious little old lady pipe smoker wanting Alfred Dunhill to hold her hand business! Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries! Now go away, or I will taunt you a second time! :moon:

Seriously, Ruff is dead on the money - PS offers some really stellar blends, and they are very reasonably priced. Luxury Twist Flake, Luxury Navy Flake, Cubed Burley, and English Oriental Supreme are really monster blends in my book. Too many pipe smokers seem to be under the impression that this is some sort of elitist fraternity, and that the only blends worth their consideration have to be uber expensive and uber hard to find. More power to them, I say. Unfortunately, they miss out on some really great smokes because PS blends are easy to find and are inexpensive

TxPipesmoker likes this.
  10. ruffinogold

PS = Shiznit . Awesome producer

11. TxPipesmoker

The B&M around here has alot of PS blends that I saw last time. I'm taking the trip Sat. and hopefully he has the LTF and a few others. Its about 120mile round trip. So I Hope he has more than a few oz's. I live in a pretty rural area of the country and don't order much from online. My mail is only about 75% on time and I have to go pick it up most of the time anyway. I wish they would let UPS/FedEX handle the mail for areas like this. The owner of the tobacco shop is a pretty nice guy. I tend to buy alot from him when I do go, so he will order anything I want if he can get it. Nice thing is he seems to get things other people don't have. He got me three 250g boxes of Skiff last month. I'm really looking forward to the PS blends, they seem real promising. I'm not a real big ARO smoker, but I don't kick them out of bed. Have you guys tried the PS Cinnamon blend. I hope you don't think I'm trying to take your thread over RTOdhner.
    John

12. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I tend to agree - on the first statement!, but I'm afraid my small collection of 'Kilner' jars (wire lever-lock and rubber gasket) never get washed, let alone sterilised, just a cursory wipe with damp cloth occasionally. If I could discern any noticeable effect on each subsequent filling of tobacco (which I can't!) - I would probably say "Hallelujah! welcome kindred spirit" :msty:;)

13. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

The rubber tops on mason jars (jelly jars, canning jars) can and quickly do absorb a surprising amount of flavor. That's your culprit- it's pretty hard to adulterate the glass :) The lids can be washed and reused, but you'll never completely get rid of the ghost and the replacements are only about $.25 per at the grocery store.
    Thus the secret of OT's success- bail top jars have a glass lid and are ideal for short-term, frequent refill storage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.