St James Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Luckistrykes, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckistrykes

Luckistrykes Member

looking for something about as close to SG St James Flake as i can possibly find. is there anything out there or am i stuck?

2. Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe Active Member

Are you out? I think I have an opened tin that I wasn't crazy about.

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Maybe something like Mac B Stockton...

4. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

...or McClelland St. James Woods.....

5. ryan65

ryan65 Member

do you guys dry it out alot before smoking? it seems kinda fussy with me, when it gets going and burning correctly it tastes heavenly, but if I gotta light it a bunch of times, it just burns hot as hell. Let me know your techniques thanks!

6. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

St. James Woods from McC's is "close", or as close as I've found, though nothing I know of is a "match". Love the SJF!

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I had a pound of this stuff back in January and it was the most difficult tobacco I've ever had to deal with. Even by Brit standards it was wet, really wet. Took about 36 hours drying to get it so it wouldn't drown even a Falcon; after prolomged drying and discovering Sas' "Cannonball Tecnique" I got it going and as a tobacco for out walking etc I found it was actually a good smoke,

Best to all,

Gerry

8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Rattray is bound to have something, but nothing comes to mind.

9. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

The one thing I do to my flaked toby is to cube cut it when still rather wet/fresh out of the tin/jar. It dries faster in smaller "cubes" or even fully rubbed out for that matter. Then store these "cubes" or small flakes into a "speedloader" or larger "small" jar for immediate enjoyment later. Yeah, it's a "tad" of prep but for me, it's part of the enjoyment of anticipated smokes in the near if not immediate future.

As mentioned earlier, if the toby has a track record of being "fussy" on getting it going, I consider how I loaded it up. I once made up a cannonball (my first) that was way too dense. I probably could've thrown it at someone and it'd have hurt! It smoked rough! Hard to light. Wouldn't light evenly, just had a miserable time with "known good" toby. So, I figured it was ME. My technique needed work on this new way to load up. Now, it's one of my preferred way to smoke ribbon, rough cut, or fully rubbed out flakes.

Let it dry out a "tad" Ryan, or cube it, or rub it out and ball it up! I know, "What's a Cube It?" :thumb:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!

10. Luckistrykes

Luckistrykes Member

i got a few bowls left, but ya i'm pretty much out of the stuff and unable to get more at any of the stores right now. it's lame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.