1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Stanwell Estate... accidental Ebay purchase

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Vaquero, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

So all day today I was on Ebay, bidding on estate pipes to use as a "knockaround" kind of work pipe. Got passed up on a few pipes that I really wanted, and then sort of by accident, wound up with this Stanwell De Luxe for 15.00 bucks, plus $6 for shipping.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260905753135

I say by accident because I bid low, and then just put a low maximum bid for kicks, thinking I wouldn't win it. But then I did. So we will see how she is, looks to be a decent pipe. My dad is a Stanwell fanatic, but this is my first. Any thoughts?

Mington likes this.

2. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

I'd smoke it.

Vaquero likes this.
  3. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

Not a bad buy Vaquero

Vaquero likes this.
  4. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

Thanks Travis. Looking at how much other Stanwells go for on the 'Bay, I feel good about it. My dad will probably shed a tear once he finds out that I finally got a Stanwell. They are well made pipes, I reckon it was about time to pick one up, even if by accident.

TRAVIS likes this.
  5. user2460

user2460 Member

I think it's a lovely pipe, these rough sandblasted pipes always remind me of something "witchy", that is a cozy feeling for me.

Vaquero likes this.
  6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

That was a score Vaquero! Enjoy!

Vaquero likes this.
  7. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I'd say you have gotten a good deal. A Stanwell for 15 dollars, that's a basket pipe price. Great score...and nice looking pipe too

Vaquero likes this.
  8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

It's been my experience to never underestimate your chances on an auction ending midweek. Looks like you got a good deal. Enjoy!

Vaquero likes this.
  9. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Your "Inner Piper" was your pilot! Congratz!

Ed
    Puff

SmokeyJoe, Mington and Vaquero like this.
  10. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

Thanks everyone, I will make sure and post a thread of pictures once it has arrived and is cleaned up. I'm not the biggest fan of Ebay but it's definitely more convenient than other methods, especially living here in Mexico.

I agree, I am a big fan of sandblasted and rusticated finishes. I am now a little more attracted to smooth because I love to see the grain, however a good sandblasted pipe with some ring grain showing through... love it. A lot of my conception and imagery surrounding pipesmoking came from J.R.R. Tolkien's books that I read when I was a kid, "The Hobbit," the "Lord of the Rings" series and inspire a somewhat cozy feeling in me also.

11. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Looking forward to the pics!

12. Capt

Capt Active Member

Your significant other may buy that it was an accident, but I don't!!! Lol. Nice pipe!

Vaquero likes this.
  13. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Yeah....it won't be your last! I owned a number of Stanwells until I fell under the spell of the
    white Goddess....all were stellar smokers.

Great pipes, and this one at a great price. Congrats!

14. shadow

shadow Active Member

Now that's what I'd call a fortunate accident!
    You've done well!!!!! Look forward to hearing how she smokes.... well.... I'm sure'she'll be great!!!:toast:

15. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

I guess accident wasn't the best way to describe it, more like I was destined to buy it. Anyone know much about the Deluxe line? From what I can see, they are made from decent briar, as they aren't the lowest priced of the Stanwells's. By the way, when I told my pops that I got a Stanwell, he told me that I "finally became a real pipe smoker."

el guero and Capt like this.
  16. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

17. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

Stanwell has yet to dissapoint me & I have eight of them. Should be a solid smoker. The price is nice too.

Vaquero likes this.
  18. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

Good find!

Vaquero likes this.
  19. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

I believe this is truly one of the keys, because I see a lot crappier pipes go for a lot higher prices on the weekends during non-working hours!

20. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

That's pretty universal with EBay. I think your money goes a lot further on the off hours. I've found better deals on soup to nuts Monday through Thursday as opposed to the week end. IMHO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.