1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Stanwell Estate Stem Replacement... Who can do it?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Vaquero, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

I had to pull the trigger on this Stanwell tonight. I fell in love with the shape and the grain, the brass and sterling together, this pipe just did it for me. Only problem: The stem needs replaced, direly! I guess because of that, I might have payed over price, but if I can get the stem replaced and the whole pipe cleaned up for 40, 50, 60 bucks, it would still be a nice piece, cheaper than a new Stanwell, and the most important part, I LIKE IT. I was thinking Walker Briarworks, but if any of you guys know someone reliable who would be up to task, I would appreciate the recommendations. Here are some pics and the Ebay link:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/140809536164?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here is the link to a sandblasted version of the same pipe: http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/stanwell/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=74306
    The one one smokingpipes has an acrylic stem.

Any info is welcome!

2. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Nice looking pipe. I think Dave at Walker Briar Works is your guy.

Slow Tri and Vaquero like this.
  3. AmeriMick

AmeriMick Member

Hell even if you only replace the stem and skip the cleaning, it'll be good for the price.

Vaquero likes this.
  4. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Member

Agreed. Tim West at jhlowe.com can also work magic with broken pipes.

Vaquero likes this.
  5. Morse

Morse Active Member

Floyd Norwood is also excellent - made a replacement stem for an IMP Meer of mine. Very quick too

Vaquero likes this.
  6. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

All these names are familiar to me, I have no idea how I'm going to pick out someone to fix this baby. The good thing is, turnaround time doesn't matter, because my dad won't be bringing this pipe down until December when they come visit us (I live in Mexico, can't trust the mail service) so it doesn't need to get fixed super fast. Thanks for the advice guys - I'll definitely let you know who I go with and get pics once it's done! Should look and smoke awesome!

7. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

Then again, I was thinking of contracting Spillproof after seeing him work wonders on those pipes in the estate restoration thread ;) whaddya think Spill, you up for replacing a stem?!

8. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

Floyd just quoted me $28.75 to fit a new stem and clean it up... sounds good to me. I will try and get it out to him ASAP. Thanks for your help guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.