1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Stanwell Featherweights

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by prole, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prole

prole Member

What do you guys think about this series? I'm quite interested after handling one at the B&M recently. The lightweight and clenchability would be a nice contrast for my beefier jaw-achers in my current rotation.

Unfortunately it was a staff members personal piece, they don't seem to stock the line there regularly. So I've been scanning ebay, smokingjoes and smokingpipes and am having trouble deciding on a model.

I like this horn alot...
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/stanwell/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=91137

But am also very drawn to this masculine little guy here...
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/stanwell/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=82124

These guys look great for a quick smoking, clencher. Do they smoke too hot tho due to the smaller, presumably thinner walled design? I already smoke a little too fast and am concerned.

Also, why am I looking at more pipes when I got one in the mail today and have one arriving tomorrow? (This is somewhat rhetorical... hope my wife doesn't find out about this forum, I will lose ebay privileges for sure)

IrishRover likes this.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I have a Stanwell feather weight . I really enjoy smoking it .. big time ! If it smoked half as good ... it would still rock .

3. Scottly

Scottly Member

I had 2 feather weight Pokers, looked great, felt great. They would get HOT in a hurry for me. Sold the pair of them on the bay.

4. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

Those are nice pipes your contemplating...... don't feel bad, I just purchased a 77' Dunhill, was showing it to my wife last night....haven't told her what I paid for it. Let me know if you find a cure to this obsession!

5. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I have the 244 Stanny Featherweight. Great pipe!

6. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I can relate to your dilemma. For some reason the other half just doesn't understand the PAD disease.
    Being that you'll be in trouble anyway.... Just get both of them :)

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  7. maxflatus

maxflatus Member

I have two, a poker and a dublin and both are quite good. Decent price, quite light, and I haven't noticed them smoke especially hot. I've been eyeing the 242 as well, I prefer a shorter "oversquare" design. Both of mine are more of the tall narrow style but still quite a good smoke.

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

242 Bambu! And a Blasted Revival (Tim West collection). Both get hot but the 242 less so. I'm usually clenching mine...hey, it's a featherweight! ;)

I do cop a feel of the bowl for a heat check but otherwise, these cob-weight Stannies are nice!

Ed
    Puff

9. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Thin walled pipes will teach you how to smoke slow and cool, that's for sure! ;)

10. Gig

Gig Member

I own and smoke a 243 Stanell Featherweight and I have a high opinon of it. Initially I thought it would smoke hot and it will if your a puffer but it doesnt with me. It's a great smoking pipe, a great clencher and i highly recommend them :)

[​IMG]

11. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

I have a blasted 243...My favorite flake pipe.

12. user2460

user2460 Member

I love featherweights mainly because they are normally smaller and the bowl is smaller which is perfect for me.

13. Hunter Smith

Hunter Smith Member

The horn is awesome!

14. prole

prole Member

[​IMG]

As luck would have it, my B&M had just what I was looking for, sort of. Or maybe even better. I think I lucked out here, for 35 bucks a little house brand pipe that's small, light and clenchable. The grain of the briar and birds eye is incredible.

Gonna post a little more on it in another thread with a couple other pipes I just came across. Thanks for all the input

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.