1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Stem tight fit after cleaning

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Amalgam, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amalgam

Amalgam Member

I cleaned my Savinelli churchwarden following what must of the pipe smokers say it is a good routine cleaning process. I overnighted my bowl with grain alcohol inpregnated cotton balls inside the chamber. I put it in a bowl with rice to keep the stummel at an angle so the alcohol did not go into the shank. Then, I got a shank brush and brushed and cleaned the shank with alcohol, the some tapered pipe cleaner (also with grain alcohol), and finally some absorbent pipe cleaners to dry the excess alcohol. But, when I wanted to put the pipe back together the stem did not want to go into the shank I tried but it only went like half way in (I know, that's what she said). I put a dash of extra virgin olive oil on both the shank and the stem and I could put it together but still very hard and with a very loud squeeking noise. So I took it appart and left it like that until I get some advice from you guys. What happend? what to do? Thank you so much.

Alfredo

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

It's possible that the briar swelled
    with moisture causing a narrower
    passage for the tenon. Give it
    24 hours and try again. Just a thought.

dp

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'd go with the 24 hours rest - the likelehood is that the water in the alcohol has swelled the wood and or the spirt has stripped some of the oils out of the wood. I'd rub beeswax on the join before reassembling - this stuff has almost magical properties - it can tighten slightly loose stems and loosen tight ones - it should do the trick.

Don't use force and don't be tempted to get the file and sandpaper out right away - a block of beeswax is cheap and lasts for years,

Good luck

Gerry

4. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I also think the wood is swollen with moisture. Let it dry a while.

5. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I've had this problem myself. I waited several days and got the two pieces back together. Briar and vulcanite/acrylic will expand/contract at different rates. For me, just leaving the two pieces alone for a few days at room temperature gave each piece time to return to original diameters. I don't take my stems out anymore for that reason. I rely strictly on pipe cleaners to keep my pipes clean. Hope you get her together.
    Be well.

6. Amalgam

Amalgam Member

Thank you so much guys for your wisdom helping me. Indeed, when I came this afternoon I puy some beewax to the stem and shank, and it worked like a charm. Thank you once again.

Alfredo

7. woody

woody Admin Admin

I have a pipe that I have to reapply beeswax after cleaning or it will be too loose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.