1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Stinger Question...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Coda, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

So I have a Kaywoodie with a stinger. My biggest qualm? I cant run a pipe cleaner all the way down when I am done smoking. I like to rest a pipe with a pipe cleaner in it for a while, to sop up all that nastiness...but this stringer is preventing me from doing that. Im sure I am not alone in this (ha), but is that just something I have to deal with? Also, since this pipe has a screw on stem, couldnt I, theoretically, just unscrew the stem from the tenon after smoking, and put two pipe cleaners in (one in the stem, and one in the tenon). Its almost like a military bit, so I dont have to worry about un-even cooling...right?

2. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Coda, I have been unscrewing pipes with a metal to metal contact in the tenon/mortise and have not had anything bad happen. I have had to correct a loose stem on a pipe that was not this way though. Id say if the threads are the same metal type it should work. You can also grab the tip of the stinger and tug (pliers) as SOME are removable. My willards are, and are threaded stems. I do not believe that kaywoodies are this way though. The only routes are to clip it with wire cutters or cut it with a hack saw. I have opened up the airway on a stinger with needle files, but this is not likely to make a PC pass through.

3. dbt13

dbt13 Active Member

That's what I do with mine. No problems yet.

4. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I should probably add that I didnt catch the part about leaving them to cool apart... I would not do that. Even though the metal part will theoretically cool at the same rate, the mass of a stem vs a hunk of briar is very different... THAT could cause uneven cooling. To take apart mid smoke (gasp) I havent had a problem. I just put it back together without dilly dallying- but it has given a chance to run a PC or remove a blockage from tobacco getting sucked down the airway (not sure how that happened, but it *was* common with my willard dublin.)

5. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I guess I just have to find a way to let it rest with a pipe cleaner in the bowl and stem, without taking it apart...

6. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Cut the tip of the stinger off. There is not much else to do... perhaps bore a hole through the tip of it?

7. will

will Member

What is this "uneven cooling" that is being talked about?
    On my Kaywoodies with the threaded tenons I have no problems with taking it apart after a smoke and cleaning the bit and shank and then leaving them apart.
    Is this what is being discussed?
    No sarcasm here, just interested.

8. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

On some pipes (those with a vulcanite, or similar material stem), allowing the stem and shank to cool separately can result in a loose tenon...

9. will

will Member

But wouldn't this be for pipes with a pull bit?

I can see where this could be a problem but pipes with threaded bit and shank should be fine to cool separately.
    Most of my Kaywoodies with stingers are of the threaded type so after smoking I will run a pc through the bit and shank to get out excess moisture and sometimes it will stay apart till pipe cleaning day.
    There are times that think stingers are a pita but I would never lop them off.
    They are part of the charm that is Kaywoodie.

Coda likes this.
  10. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

This is my thinking. I came up with a solution, though. I run a pipe cleaner down the stem until it wont go anymore, then I cut it, leaving a bit hanging out of the end. The bit I cut off I bend into an "L" shape, and stick in the draft hole, bowl side...

11. krusty

krusty Active Member

Or for that matter whatever other pipe they may be on.

12. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I only own 1 kaywoodie at the moment.
    It has had the stinger lopped off. I then used progressively larger drill bits to open up the threaded male portion of the stem, until it had an acceptable draw.
    I really couldn't care less about the "charm of a kaywoodie". I don't buy pipes for charm, I buy them to smoke, and in my opinion the stinger is too restrictive to smoke well.
    My KW supergrain bully will pass a cleaner, all the way to the bowl.

If you like the stinger, and want to leave it alone, there is NO problem with taking the pipe apart while hot, even in the middle of a smoke.
    Won't hurt a thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.