Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Question

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Slow Tri, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

So......The Mayor and I were having a conversation the other day about Stokkebye's Luxury Twist and a question came up that neither one of us could answer.

I have tried the other two Luxury blends from them but not the Twist. Does it compare to anything else? Is it similar to anything else?

I know that I just need to buck up and buy some of this and stop asking so many quesitons.

Thanks

2. jeff394

jeff394 Member

I think the Luxury Twist Flake is more of an aromatic than either the Bullseye or Navy Flakes. I get that grassy VA taste along with a bit of chocolate, and possibly cherries. Not sure what is out there to compare it to, it's rather unique.

Pull the trigger on a few ounces, you won't be disappointed.

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I think the only thing close is McCl # 2000 Fragrant Matured Cake ... it's only close though . What else looks like LTF ? #2000 smokes and lights different

4. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

LTF is one of my favorites, A good VA with a hint of something extra in the finish. The twisted square flake just looks cool, as well.

5. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

I would also definitely put it in the aromatic camp. It's topped with anise. I bought a box of it about 8 years ago and most of it is siting in the cellar being ignored aging. LTF is my least favorite of the trio.

6. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

I put it in the Light Aromatic or what I call "Danish" category. To me it has a light "Werther's" or butterscotch type topping on a nice light Virginia base. I can think of no other flake like it. MacBaren Virginia #1 is lightly cased and vaguely similar, Dan's Milonga has a similar topping to LTF just much more of it. Again YMMV

Capt, Stonewall and buistd like this.
  7. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

Got a quarter pound of it for some snuff. Let me kmow. Shoud be enogh to figure it oit.

8. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I think Rural Hipster has described it well. LTF is not really similar at all to the other two, and it is not really like anything else. Peter Heinrich has a blend that is so similar to this that I am sure they are the same.

9. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I ignored LTF for awhile, then dug into it... and it became my favorite. It tastes like honey to me, so richly sweet that it satisfies mys weet tooth and it's awesome IMO. Worth a try for sure! And no, it is nothing like the other two.

abadiemet likes this.
  10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It's one of those blends that would be good on its own but it's even better with the top note

11. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

+1 on it being more of a danish than an aromatic.

It does have a solid Virginia tobacco flavor, and I really like the Werther's reference, honey was what came to my mind. The top note is definitely a compliment, and not the major flavor. I haven't found another blend quite like it, and it is one that I always have with me when I leave the house. It's easy burning for a flake, has a room note that rarely offends even non-smokers, and enough nic to satisfy without overwhelming.

Did I mention that I love this stuff?:snork:

Capt likes this.
  12. Slow Tri

Well I bucked up and ordered 4 ounces of this..........

......along with a pound of FVF.

Should be here in a few days and I'll finally lay this to rest.

ruffinogold likes this.
  13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

From the school of "That's not a bulldog, that's a rhodesian" argumentatin ad nauseum, there are actually 4 Stokkebye "Luxury" blends, rather than 3: Curly Cut, Twist Flake, Navy Flake and Bullseye Flake.

And by the way, that's a lumberman, not a lovat.

beano likes this.
  14. Slow Tri

Curly Cut?

15. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

It's produced in the buildings surrounding the Bullseye.

Slow Tri likes this.
  16. WWhermit

WWhermit Member

Someone here descirbed LTF as smoking a virginia in a Danish Bakery. That's exactly what it's like.

17. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

I tried it a while back. Danish would be an apt description, light Virginias with a light topnote.

18. Robert leslie

Robert leslie Member

I just recently discovered this blend. I took a trip down to little river SC to a place called smoking pipes.com, you may have heard of it. Anyway, Sykes Wilford suggested this to me. I ended up bying a pound. You can't beat the price either!

rigormootis and ruffinogold like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.