Stonehaven taste question

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ChrisB, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

I'm a newbie with this tobacco, but it smells like something other than the VAbur that it is purported to be. I'm talking just the smell of the tobacco prior to smoking. It almost smells like it has a serious licorice or something like it casing/topping. it smells great, but is this pure tobacco?

2. ASmokingMan

ASmokingMan Member

Never tried Stonehaven because we can't get it in the UK. However, Germaine's Rich Dark Flake, which is common in the UK and I'm told is "pretty much the same thing, hint, hint" is given a casing or light top dressing with treacle or molasses I believe.

dmkerr and BernardLerring like this.
  3. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

I get a kind of dried fruit flavor along with the tobacco.

4. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

Having had RDF and commenting here under the assumption that Stonehaven is a rebadge if it as I've heard, it seems to have a mild whisky/brandy flavour. According to TR.com RDF is uncased while Stonehaven is cased - it might account for some of the difference between the two.

5. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

I seem to recall that a couple of years ago someone made a phone call to Germain's to ask about the topping on Stonehaven. There were rumors that it was topped with Krug Champagne or angel sweat or the tears of a clown or maybe the sweet groundwater that runs beneath Stonehenge.

Hogwash was the response. It's topped with a little treacle. Molasses for those in the colonies.

inkybat, Spillproof and CavenFish like this.
  6. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

When i smell my stonehaven i think of a nice porto wine with some Cherry Jubillee :)

rondel65 and BernardLerring like this.
  7. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Stonehaven smells and tastes great, I just wish my body would allow me to smoke it.
    Something about it just doesn't sit too well with me. Hopefully aging it will help.

8. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Member

I promise that I didn't poison the Stonehaven Ephraim.:confused:

Ephraim likes this.
  9. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Haha I believe you :)
    Seriously I appreciate you giving me a chance to try it out. I have it in a jar and will come back to it after some aging.
    I LOVED the Best Brown Flake btw. One of the best Virginias I've ever had. And thanks for turning me on to the House of Calabash blends, fantastic stuff :th1:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.