stonehaven

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by user2453, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user2453

user2453 Member

I tried some today after locating 8 oz. I like it but was expecting to be astounded in excellence. Am I missing something here? The stonehaven I sampled a couple days ago tastes much different.

2. prole

prole Member

ALERT ALERT NEW FART ATTEMPTING ADVICE, DISREGARD ANYTHING THAT SOUNDS STUPID, IT LIKELY IS STUPID

Same boat here, I was disappointed by my first few days of smoking this stuff. The first Va's I really liked were Dunhill Flake and Best Brown Flake, so I was expecting something similar. Something bright and strong.

Stonehaven and for that matter FVF just tasted like smoke compared to those sweet, hay like smokes. Smoked some Stonehaven again these last few days and it's really 'clicked' for me. I think I was influenced by a recent post or review (I think it was this forum but can't find the post) where some likened the taste to fresh baked bread. Now that I'm smoking it without looking for that citrusy-grassy taste of Flake and BBF, and thinking more of savory, sour dough like bread baking, I'm hooked.

This bread like taste I find in FVF and also Dark Star, and I've really developed a taste for it. Maybe try putting it away for a few weeks, smoke some really contrasting blends (VaPers, fruit note Vas, maybe some heavy Lat blends) and then try it again. If you still don't like it I'll PM you my address and I'll make good use of it :D

Spillproof and dwaugh like this.
  3. user2453

user2453 Member

Yes I already have it jarred up anid am going to give it some time.

I haven't been able to find any FVF as of yet though I really want to. I had some that was given to me in a sample and lost it. I do have an open tin of Dunhill flake going now and I really like that one. Those huge flakes make for a perfect smoke in my Peterson donegal.

I'm sure ill end up smoking the Stonehaven eventually though.

4. prole

prole Member

Between the two types of Vas, I much prefer the Dunhill Flake type also. I don't know what these are called, I even started a thread trying to find out. But if we just say for the sake of your (and my) taste, that there are two types of Vas, one bready and savory (Stonehaven, FVF, Dark Star) and then there's the other hay like and sweet, Dunhill Flake...

Then I can definitely recommend Orlik Golden Slices, Solani Virginia Flake with Perique, and Best Brown Flake are much more like the Dunhill type of Va. Very bright tasting with a natural sweet note (as opposed to the cloying sweet taste in many aro's). If you have or end up trying any of those, post what you think of them, I wonder if we just happen to have pretty similar tastes in Vas

dwaugh likes this.
  5. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Dry it well and try it in your clay.

6. user2453

user2453 Member

That's exactly what I will do.

7. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

It's an elusive blend isn't it.....
    The only thing I can say about that is, start saving now. Once it becomes available you have got to be ready. This stuff gets sold out just about as fast as a mouse click to buy it.
    I keep missing the boat on this one. So, get yourself a little savings for when it's available so you can pounce on it.

Stonewall likes this.
  8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Dry it, dry it, dry it. I smoke it about a step wetter than crispy. When it's wet, the flavors jumble into a non-descript steam. Dry, dry, dry to bring out the nuances and strengths of this incredible tobacco.

Stonewall likes this.
  9. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

It does not live up to the hype. Ya'll need to just send it to me. I find it tollerable.

10. user2453

user2453 Member

I dried a piece of a flake for a couple hours and smiled. It was good and something I'm glad I have. Next up is Penzance. I'm going to dry a flake for tonight.

Stonewall and BigJ like this.
  11. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

See, I loved FVF right from the get-go, and I've been buying it up whenever I see it ever since, a couple of tins at a time. I've never had any kind of problem liking that one. However, I was rather underwhelmed by my first few experiences smoking Blackwoods Flake, perhaps the most hyped McClelland product in existence. I mean, it's clearly high quality, but I can't get it to the right dryness, or something. I really am not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong, but I know I should have held off and aged it. I just couldn't resist opening that sucker, though.

I still have yet to try Stonehaven. Never have gotten an opportunity. One'a these days...

12. user2453

user2453 Member

Pm me tout address and ill send some your way
    Pm me and ill send some your way

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.