Storage question for 8 oz. bag of Penzance

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ChrisB, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

I was fortunate enough to score one of these at retail prices (last one they had), and I'm wondering three things:
    1. How long will the tobacco be safe to keep in the unopened bag if I'd like to age it?
    2. Should I age it at all?
    3. Once I open it, how should I store the leftover and how long will it last?
    Thanks!

2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Congratulations on your purchase.

You'll get varying opinions on these questions, but here are mine ;-)

1) A good long while if the bag has absolutely no holes or tears in it (*pinholes can appear at creases), and is left the hell alone. Do not pile stuff on it, do not randomly throw it in a bin, if you're going to leave it in the bag store it thoughtfully and safely.
    However, as an extra precaution I always vacuum seal 8-0z bags until I open them.

2) Yes. I have some Penz that's about 8 years old and I much prefer it that way.

3) Once I open a bag, I jar the contents immediately. Generally I'll use two or three jars; one to be kept sealed for years, one to be sampled from time to time, and one for smoking as I please. Every time you open a jar you restart/delay the aging process so keep that to a minimum.

I know a lot of folks insist you should never store tobacco in 8oz bags.
    All I can say is I've purchased a number of aged 8-0z bags of Penzance and have never had any issues with it.

3. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

I had one bag with a pinhole in it.

I jar it immediately upon reception...as I do all my tobacco purchases that I plan on cellaring.

bubbagump likes this.
  4. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Yup. I'd jar it. I jar everything (with the exception of a few factory tins that I regularly access).

5. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Thanks, when you say "jar it," do you mean take it out of the bag and put in a mason jar, or leave it in the bag, sealed, and put the bag in a mason jar?

6. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I'd dump the contents of the bag into a mason jar. What I'd do (assuming that's something that you'll want to get at regularly)...buy a four pack of the 8oz mason jars (five dollars and change). You can stick about two ounces of tobacco in each. That way...you've got one jar to get into as you need it...one for storage...and two for long-term storage.

Monkey and woody like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.