Storage question for Esoterica tobaccos

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ChrisB, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

I bought a few too many 8oz. bags of various ones to smoke any time soon? Can I age them for a few years right in those foily bags?
    Thanks.

2. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

3. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Don't chance it. Jar it.

MakDragon likes this.
  4. capt dave

capt dave Member

excuse me whist i cry for you....to many esoterica bags humph. yeah put em in jars, i would hate to see the next post.... how do i reconstitute my stash of esoterica..

5. AustinLM

AustinLM Member

Since no one has told you the secret yet, I will! The easiest thing to do to not worry about your blends, is send them to me! I'd be more than happy to care for them the way that they deserve to be!

WalkinStick likes this.
  6. CaKy

CaKy Member

Where is that little fiddle-playin' emoticon?

Smokey Tom likes this.
  7. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Hold off on the fiddles, the only Esotericas I was able to score were Stonehaven and Penzance....(joke)

8. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Yeah, jars.

And man, Stonehaven is a unicorn lately for me. I could have 30 pounds of Penzance by now I see so much of it, but the damned Stonehaven is just nowhere to be found. Every time my B&M gets in a bunch of bags on Penzance, I ask about Stonehaven, and before I can even finish my sentence they just say, "No Stonehaven, again." I have a decent amount of the stuff, but man is it hard to find.

EDIT: I realize that comes off as a ridiculous post since there are so many people looking for Penzance, but I always make a little post about how my B&M has it whenever they get it in. I think a few people have scored it because of me, but people don't seem to end up seeing the posts.

9. capt dave

capt dave Member

I just jarred an eight ounce bag of and so to bed. When in doubt, jar it. And put a couple ounces in a small one so your not breaking into a big one all the time. Unless you got so much your not worried about it.

10. AustinLM

AustinLM Member

PM sent

11. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I always jar anything that doesn't come in tins. Back when Penzance was readily available I ordered in two bags. I opened them both only to find soggy wet tobacco covered in mold. I got a return authorization from the supplier and both were replaced with two other bags. The newer bags were just fine.

Mold to the degree I saw is rare. The thing is you can't see through a foil bag. You'ld hate yourself if you opened a two year old bag only to find it covered in mold. Put your stuff in jars and every 6 months or so look through the glass and see sugar crystals beginning to form. You'll feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

OBD.

AustinLM and WalkinStick like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.