Storing 'luxury' Middleton Tobacco Pouches

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by yinyang, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Hey, y'all-

Just a quick question-Is pouched and boxed tobac's like Carter Hall and PA cellar friendly? I tend to buy a box every time I'm out, and am wondering if now I'm overdoing it...at least, since I buy it faster than I smoke it. I keep them in Ziploc freezer bags (not in the freezer), but I suppose this isn't a long term ideal? I figured maybe someone here has experience with it.

Thanks again-

-Kyle

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Those unopened pouches ain't ever going to dry out(or get better). They have a couple thousand year half-life. https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hahaha-024.gif

3. Marc

Marc Active Member

The pouch in the box will stay fresh for quite awhile, but they are not intended for long term storage. Middleton tobaccos do not come very moist in the pouch and will dry out over time. I buy mine by the box, six at a time.

4. Roddy

Roddy Member

Most all of it goes in jars at my house. It might not age well but I don't want it turning into dust either. Usually I do the same with the tubs. I've got a few tubs put back that I'm planning on opening but I keep buying more and never get around to it.

PA pouches usually aren't sealed. Just folded over. CH has a lot of flavoring added to it. In those little pouches I imagine the flavorings will fade with time. The pouches often don't taste nearly as good as the tubs. Why risk something you've paid money for?

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

Roddy, I disagree. I have been smoking OTC blends for many years and I have yet to taste a significant difference from a pouch compared to the tub. Matter of fact, pouches usually come at the perfect moisture level for smoking as opposed to tubs which are much moister. Minor variations in taste between the pouch and the tub tobaccos can be caused by many different things like production runs processed at different times, curing and flavoring process between batches, time on shelf, just to name a few. Personally, I use to buy the tubs but found them to be more inconsistent in quality of finish. That’s why I buy pouches now, easier to toss a bad pouch than a bad tub of tobacco. In my experience, pouches are more consistent in taste and quality.

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I'm aware of humectant(sp?) issues prolonging the shelf life, was only wondering if there was a viable age onto which pouches could reasonably be stored. It would be easy to stock a modest cellar cheaply, in my region anyways, with Middleton products. The question for me was, Do I really want to go 'whole hawg' or just get a few at a time? With (possible)pending tax hikes on the horizon, it is an easy way to bulk up the storehouse without a conscious effort to purchase quality brands (with premium price tags). Of course, I plan on this too.

-Kyle

7. Roddy

Roddy Member

You added time on shelf in there. That's one of the problems. Unlike tins those pouches are a pooor storage choice. Mostly the tubs aren't that great a choice either.

In the past I rarely bought tubs because few carried them in my area. When I visited the city I always spent my money on high end stuff. Once a local store agreed to carry tubs for me, (mostly because I'm a cheapscate and wanted a better price), I found the flavor from the tubs to be much better. Of course we are talking about tobacco so what's better for me may be worse for you.

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

Roddy, I'm pretty fortunate to have a local smoke shop that carries all the OTC's in tubs and pouches and they move a lot of pipe tobacco believe it or not, so my pouches always seem very fresh, haven't had a dry one in quite awhile but I know where you're coming from some of them pouches sit on a shelf for months, like the last pouch of SWR I bought several months ago, dry as dust. CH and PA are not sealed in the pouch like Cherry Blend and are only folded over. I have purchased several of them over the years that were dried out right out of the box. Tubs always tasted off to me and were too moist, may be because of a different PG level in the tub as opposed to the pouches. Anyway, I don't smoke the OTC's as much as I use too, except Cherry Blend, it's excellent for breaking in pipes and I like it more than CH or PA. Smoke in good health my friend!

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Thanks for a most useful and informative thread - I've always wondered about storing in pouches. The only time I've ever done it was fairly short term after say bringing a kilo of Gravina back from Mallorca and only keeping it as long as I needed to smoke it - 20 weeks in my case.

At the moment I'm buying in bulk and packing it away in storage jars, the kind with the seal and metal clasp at the top, but as there's a pound in each I've wondered what the best way is when I want it for smoking - should I just take out a couple of ounces at a time or repack the lot into 2oz bags?

Best meantime

Gerry

10. Brian

Brian Member

Plastic bags still allow air transfer over time. You can smell the tobacco right through them.

I even find my tobacco in Ziplock plastic tubs drying over time, even when not opened.

I think the only option for bagged tobacco for long-term storage is in the glass canning jars with the metal lids (i.e. Mason Jars)

11. Marc

Marc Active Member

I agree with brian, Mason jars give an absolute air tight seal, for sure!

12. mcgoven9

mcgoven9 Member

I put my extra tobacco in my humidor it keeps it pretty fresh. I live quite a ways away from a good shop and I don't like buying over the internet. I have a tin of mac barren scottish mixture. I have had it for a year. I strech it as far as I can. It is as still tasts the same as it was when I first bought it.

13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

i think alot of the otc stuff comes in 14 oz tubs so maybe buy the tubs instead of pouches . Surely they'll last a year and you'll have a year to figure out what's best

14. stummel bum

stummel bum Member

I guess I don't really worry about it too much as OTC stuff I generally just buy as I need it. I only worry about cellaring higher end blends. Something like PA, I'll just buy a pouch, smoke it till it's gone, then buy another. Haven't had to worry about it drying out on me. Even as long as I take to smoke it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.