Storing pipe tobacco in a humidor

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Tate, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tate

Tate Member

I notice that most of you here store your pipe tobacco in air tight jars. I can see the wisdom in that especially if a blend is cased or top flavored and can "infect" other nearby tobaccos. However in the case of natural or close-to natural tobaccos, do any of you store them in a humidor?

I have a very large spanish cedar lined humidor that I like to stuff some tobacco in for aging. The aroma of the Spanish cedar and the old cigars sometimes adds an interesting hint of smell ontop of the tobaccos. I enjoy this, but can see where it wouldn't be everyone's cuppa.

Anyone else do this?

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Spanish Cedar is pretty Aromatic stuff ! A straight Burley is kinda cool to put in a Humidor but that's all I've ever experimented with .

3. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

The cedar is great for cigars but I would not use it for any of my blends for my pipes. I think it would muddle the flavors that the blender had intended me to taste. The casings would evaporate in any humidor and leave just the flavors of the humidor. I guess if you were looking for a blend to emulate a cigar flavor that it might work out but for me that is not what I am looking for from pipe tobacco. Also, the humidor may start to pick up the flavors from the tobacco and in turn pass it off to any cigars that you would want to use it with. Just a lose, lose proposition, IMHO.

4. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

Another consideration is that the normal 70% humidity level does not carry over to pipe tobacco.

70% for pipe tobacco is extremely high and it will cause you to either have to dry it out for a long time or have an extremely hot smoke.

5. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Member

Two different things all together and both have different needs, and conditions. Don't keep them together it's a lose-lose situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.