1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Straight System

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nesta, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

So for you Peterson fans out there...

I'm longing to get a System pipe, but they almost exclusively come in bent shapes. This makes sense to me, as the well would be somewhat below the tennon, allowing the moisture to more readily collect out of harm's way. But they only ALMOST exclusively come in bent shapes. There are straight systems, too.

For those of you who have owned/smoked both, how do straight systems compare? Do they work as well? I love the look of them even more than the bent pipes, but if it's not as sound a design, I'd go with bent of course.

This is what has me scratchin my head...
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=77752
    I think it looks great. I have a birthday coming up, and I'm thinking of asking for it, but if the straights don't work as well as system pipes, I may well look at something else.

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I cannot comment on the absolute straight Systems, but my favourite shape is Petersons 999 which I classify as a semi bent Rhodesian and these do have a sump underneath the smoke hole. They work fine for me. I'd guess, but it'd just be a guess, that if you took the pipe out of your mouth from time to time or clenched it bowl slightly downwards it'd work roughly like a bent System....but I could be wrong so I'll watch this thread with great interest,

Best meantime

Gerry

3. WillH

WillH Active Member

Obviously for a "system" pipe to work you need Newtons help with a little gravity - so, there's gotta be some curve, IMO. Like Gerry mentioned the Petterson 999 is a "system" pipe! Yet, not all 999's have a well. Awhile back I had one that did not. Don't recall the name of the pipe but it was rusticated - I sold it!

Below are two 999s. One over 30 years old the other is about 20 years olds. I have not seen this pipe available from Peterson lately. I assume it's no longer available. If not - that's a shame.
    [​IMG]
    Personally, I absolutely love these two pipes! They smoke wonderfully - nothing better. But they are not straight. Choices! Life is about choices.....
    Will

Like the Falcon you don't want to put them in you shirt pocket stem down!:p

4. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Straight systems do work, just not as well as the bent styles. You have to be very careful to keep the pipe upright or the fluids leave the sump and travel the pipe which defeats the purpose. But I have some straights that smoke quite well as long as I remember that.

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

The straight system pipe, the Peterson 31 if I remember right, has a well and a stinger attachement. It is not a pipe that receives very good reviews. You would probably be better off with a regular straight pipe, or consider a savinelli with the balsa moisture sucker-upper filter system.

6. ichabod

ichabod Member

These are really nice looking pipes! System or not.

7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies! I figured that aesthetics aside, the mechanics of a system pipe would not work all too well on a straight shape. I think I'll be looking for something else. Perhaps a bent system, or a "normal" straight pipe. I've been longing to try a Canadian, or a really good quality billiard (I have one dirt cheap billiard which smokes pretty decently and one which smokes too wet)

Might also look into another Danish freehand, possibly another Dublin sitter with a plateau (love the looks of those) but if I go that route I'll have to buy it in a B and M myself so I can inspect it first....not good to ask for as a gift, but I really like the looks of this Johs: http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/johs/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=76585

I find the price suspiciously low, however.

Anyway, many thanks folks!

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

You would think if the Peterson system worked that well on a straight pipe they would offer more than one model? At least that's the way I see it, so no, I would not buy a Peterson straight system pipe.

9. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Everything I've read about Johs pipes is good. If I recall correctly, his pipes are low because they are just hand finished. I may be wrong, though. It's happened once or twice.

10. Paul

Paul Member

all the johs rusticated pipes ive seen are about that price, but yeah.. *shrug* i dont suspect its bad or anything >.>

you can usually email them and ask for more pictures or something, I emailed them asking if they had a peterson 05 ebony (which they didnt have listed) and they had one come in that they hadnt posted on the next update, they sent me pictures and held it for me and sold it to me without listing it, which was awesome P:

11. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Good thread. I've wondered about the straight system myself, just didn't seem to make sense. Though given my druthers I guess I prefer a pipe with no 'system' at all. The concept of saving and collecting the juice just seems like a bad idea. If you get a gurgle, for chrissakes just run a pipe cleaner! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.