Straight VA flake advice?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Old Ted, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

For more years than I care to remember, I've smoked the traditional Brit. VA strong flakes, twists and plugs, Condor, St.Bruno,Mick McQuaid, Walnut - and the like, and a few others that seem to be anathema to some of you over 'the pond'. Lately I've been enjoying a lot of SG's Best Brown flake (great stuff!) with the occasional tin of Orlik GS - as a very pleasant diversion. Now, that OGS I find to be very subtle stuff! - I love that slightly tangy 'citrus' note, and for some reason I always want a cup of Earl Grey tea with it! (anyone else get this feeling?),so I'm wondering if there is something else with very similar attributes and perhaps a little more strength....bearing in mind that I generaly do not like 'aromatic' or flavoured baccies!. Just thought there might be something very similar, without too much searchng and experimenting!

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Snake and Puff here would most likely agree...Dunhill Flake. Stronger than OGS (a bit), it has less of that citrus/bergamot/hay thing going on and yet seems to have more complexity. (My take.) Dunhill Flake and OGS are top of the heap for my VA choices, BTW. Just so you know, Dunhill Flake will probably come across as having less oomph to you, though, when compared to BBF.

I've had all the others you mentioned (except St. Bruno), and think you have excellent taste in 'baccy. Give Dunhill a shot.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Though it's not a flake, could I recommend John Patton's (tiltjlp's)Quadruple Virginia - medium strength undoctored virginia presented slightly drier than Brit tobacco but doesn't give you tongue bite and makes a grand all day smoke. It's a broken flake and looks like it just came out of the curing barn on the tobacco farm.

Available in bulk from 4Noggins.

Happy smoking

Gerry

4. sounds7

sounds7 Member

SG full Virginia Flake is my favorite Flake hands down. Can you get it over there? It is rare here for sure. I only have 6 tins of the stuff in cellar so I am watching out for it before I run out. +1 On the SG Brown Flake and the Dunhill Flake. Both nice choices. I might also add J.F. Germain Special Brown Flake.

5. raistlinsk

raistlinsk Member

OGS is by far my favorite toby...period. Tied for second would have to be MacB Navy Flake and Capstan Original or Gold. Both are great backups when I run low of OGS

6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Ted, I'll second the Germain Brown Flake. Im well aware of the SG hype, but Brown Flake really is flat out pure Virginia goodness.

Edited to add any number of years of McClelland Christmas Cheer. Although more of a cake, still a georgeous virginia. If you're ordering from this side of the pond, also try some McC Blackwoods Flake.

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

+1,2,3. Nice calls from a latakia snorker there, Jberg. I'd add two of my faves to those - the deeply stoved Dan Hamborger Veermaster (longer on depth and shorter on tee-WANG) and Rattray's Marlin Flake.

Above referenced Orlik Golden Sliced and MacBarens Navy Flake may fulfill your citrus flavor profile perfectly, by the way, but they both show burley as the first element at tobaccoreviews.com. They taste more like VA-twang to me but that's what it sez. Both here would kill with a cuppa; Earl Grey, Assam, breakfast tea - something like that. Been smoking some Assam behind Marlin Flake-Escudo parfaits for the past few days. Stellar.

In the broken flake VA world lots of folks call Rattray's Hal o' The Wynd top dog.

8. commonsenseman

commonsenseman Member

OGS & Best Brown Flake are both quite good VA's. OGS is rumored to have a little Burley & even possibly a little Perique. Based on those two, I'd suggest the following:

-Full Virginia Flake: Sort of like Best Brown-Dark.
    -JFG Brown Flake: More grassy tasting than either of those, but still a good one.
    -Marlin Flake: Probably as close as you're going to get to OGS, a little bit more "full".
    -Long Golden Flake: like OGS with a bunch of Perique.
    -Luxury Navy Flake: Same ^^^.

9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Thanks guys!....lots of food for thought here - one or two of which I've already tried. I've always bought my tobacco at the B&M (fortunately I've still a few in reasonable striking distance!) but I'm feeling adventurous LOL - and am considering ordering from 4Noggins, there is a really impressive (and bewildering!) array of baccy from C&D....anything in my criteria recommended there?
    Thanks again, OT

10. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

McClelland Dark Star is unbelievable, and no one should go to their grave without having at least tried it. At the Noggins site, it can be found right here.

11. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

I have some, and the first few smokes were unremarkable at best. I've rubbed and stuffed, dried rubbed and stuffed, and dried, folded and stuffed. I'm going to keep at it because I'm a fan of McClelland VAs.

I think maybe Darkstar might be better (for me) after not smoking for a day or two.

12. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

One more piece of evidence for why there's more than one kind of tobacco in the world. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.