Success at last!

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by F1guy, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F1guy

F1guy Member

As many of you know, I'm as new to pipe smoking as a 16-year old is to driving a car, and that the other night I had a rather terrible experience with some Red Cap. It wasn't smoking right, staying lit, etc.

Well, I heard a lot of positive comments on both the Carter Hall and Prince Albert. I sprung for some PA ($4.17 at my local Wal-Mart) and packed it the same way as the RC into my MM Pride, and lo and behold! It was marvelous. The stuff never went out once, so I was able to focus more on the relaxation aspect that many of you speak of. It felt good to finally be getting the hang of pipe smoking on only my 3rd bowl. Many have described it as the "Budweiser" of tobacco, and I'll give it that, but until I'm ready for some stronger, better stuff, Bud suits me just fine.

I wanted to say thanks to everyone who has helped me out. (I'm not leaving haha) After my first go, I was feeling the cold shoulder, but now I really think this is something.

The only issue I had was getting fire to the bottom of the bowl. Any tips?

Raffxr7, RTOdhner, Old Codger and 2 others like this.

2. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Man you gotta get some CH next go around. I was shocked. Its really a good, solid smoke.

Artistik and Mington like this.
  3. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Practice and patience. It is not something we can give you a formula to follow. I mean if you are told to pack lighter, lighter compared to what? Since I first picked up a pipe 45+ years ago there was no internet to guide and misguide us. We learned through triall and error and doing things intuitively.

Bump, Raffxr7, RTOdhner and 2 others like this.
  4. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

That's a very good point. Don't pack too loose, too tight; don't smoke too fast, etc. etc. are all relative.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  5. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Take your time,relax and enjoy and don't get PO.

Raffxr7 and Mington like this.
  6. F1guy

F1guy Member

That's something that I noticed too.

7. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Immediately after your mid-bowl relight, use a tamper lightly while drawing on the pipe. Just the weight of the tamper is all you need; think of your tamper more as a heat shield than an object of force.

Sometimes when your pipe is about to go out, cupping your fingers over the top of the bowl and drawing will heat it back up (do-it-yourself carburetor).

Morse likes this.
  8. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

Just smoke the right way and you should be fine. That's my advice.:bing:

9. Goat

Goat Active Member

Congrats...
    Now your hooked. Since you have experienced what pipe smoking is all about, you will forever be chasing that perfect smoke.
    Welcome to the club.:toast:

RTOdhner likes this.
  10. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Great, isn't it. While Prince Albert doesn't do it for me, OTC's like Half and Half, Sir Walter Raleigh, and Walnut do. Nothing "Budweiser" about Prince Albert or any of the other old-time OTC's, and they are very good blends in their own right. Enjoy your Prince Albert!

11. F1guy

F1guy Member

Thanks! I gotta say that overall, I think I'm mastering the smoking thing. Earlier today, I had a bowl that was 30 minutes long, with minimal relights. I'm looking to get something better later in the week. I'll keep this handy though. Can never have enough it seems.

RTOdhner likes this.
  12. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

Alot of the older OTC's like Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Sir Walter, etc. etc. are called 'old-codger' blends because they have been around for just about ever. ALOT of the advice you will find online will be referring to more... specialty blends. I can say from experience that alot of the high-end tobaccos require a little more... finesse. The old codger blends require a whole lot of nothing.

I will say, that while I agree with Spill, I didn't tamp for well over four months. Long after I had discovered that 'moment' you just had. What I'm trying to say is that tamping may help, but I think you should work on your BREATHING. I rarely have a bowl go out if it is filled with CH or PA. The trick is breathing, and since I am utterly awful at words, instead, let me give you some advice.

My advice? Just smoke. You know how you can read up on a subject for years, and not learn a damn thing until you actually do it? Smoking a pipe is one of those things. Just smoke. And smoke. Get used to re-lighting. Embrace it. If you use matches, it can become rather bothersome, so instead, use a lighter. A bic will do. Relight. Relight. Relight. Then, in about ... oh... three or four months. You will start to realize what I'm talking about. You will start to breath differently based on what kind of smoke you want.

That is the magic of pipe-smoking. Its one of those hobbies that you should expect to be in for the long run. As time goes on, and your experience builds, everything will start to become natural. Things will click, and before you know it, you will be walking your dog, smoking a pipe, and be completely lost as to how you ever made it before said pipe. ;)

Spillproof likes this.
  13. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

My favorite tobacco is the cheapest one available locally to me... smokers pride. Smoke what you like, how you like, and when you like. Smoking a pipe isnt about changing to suit the pipe, but changing the pipe (relative to the tobacco) to suit you. I pack a really loose bowl because I puff way too fast for a tight pack. My pipe doesn't get hot and I dont melt my mouth, so it's a win win! Adapt it to meet your needs. Don't think of it as doing it wrong, but rather, having not found the best way for you yet. Keep at it, and you will be loving it. :)

14. F1guy

F1guy Member

Thanks! So far, I think I'm going to stick with the PA until it's gone. I don't smoke much (2-3 bowls a week at the most) so it'll last a while. After that I'm going to switch to some Carter Hall. I might go up to some Davidoff after that, idk, see how it goes really.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  15. Goat

Goat Active Member

Them is some purdy profound words for a :poop: kicker.:beyes:

16. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Goat, I am a bit educated. :P Heck I even have a good portion of a novel written. Appearances are deceiving at times. :)

17. Goat

Goat Active Member

Just funnin with bubba.

18. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Im trying to joke back, I just stink at joking! :xd:

19. SteveH

SteveH Active Member

I test the tightness or looseness of the pack by sucking through the pipe before lighting. Probably we all have different preferences as to the freedom of the draw, but I like it to be slightly restricted, but not enough to make it hard work.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  20. Artistik

Artistik Member

Congratulations. You are well on your way to a trouble free smoke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.