Suggeest a Blend(s)

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Steve Broms, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Broms

Steve Broms Member

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum (first post) so I guess I'll give a little background info. I'm Steve, 18, and I'm attending college to study Physics. I started smoking cigars about 3-4 months ago. I really enjoyed the relaxation that came alongside the cigars. However, recently I've been smoking my pipe more often than cigars. I've only had a few blends from the local cigar/pipe shop (Old Havana in Morton, outside Philadelphia PA). I've got a poster above my desk of Einstein smoking his pipe alongside a list of quotes, so that might have a little influence in this post.

Anyway, I was hoping you guys could suggest a couple blends to try out, maybe your all-time-favorites or what have you. I don't have a preference; I've liked everything I've smoked thus far, and I've tried Virginia and English blends, as well as one or two aromatics.

Cheers!

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

Which blends have you smoked and enjoyed? That will give us a better insight.

3. Steve Broms

Steve Broms Member

Unfortunately, I don't know the names of the blends I smoked for the most part. They were in glass jars and were sold by the 1.5 ounce. The first blend I had was Captain Black in a corn-cob. I spent most of the Captain Black blend learning how to smoke and pack correctly. I've since upgraded to a nicer pipe. However, I do have an aromatic blend in my desk at the moment. 'Molto Dolce'. Sutliff Private Stock on the top. Fancy gold label with what appears to be an eagle. The description on the tin: "Rich and creamy texture of Vanilla, Caramel, and Honey.'

I know its not too much to go by. Overall, I enjoyed the English blend(s) the most.

4. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

If the Englishes are what you're enjoying most at the moment, I for one would recommend the Frog Morton tobaccos. They are light Englishes, and available with a few different additional tobaccos, so you can try a variety. They seem not ot bite, and have a really pleasant flavor IMHO. Good luck, and welcome!

5. Steve Broms

Steve Broms Member

Thank for the suggestion! Gonna hit the local store sometime and see if they have it. It's always nicer to go to a store in person than order it online.

6. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

My Mixture 965 is my favorite English blend.

7. Capt

Capt Active Member

If you are venturing into the Oriental side of English blends, McClelland's #14 is a favorite or mine. But as Jussto suggested, can't go wrong with the Frog's!!!

8. Mike Berger

Mike Berger Member

+1 on the Frog Morton's...great for us beginners IMHO. Welcome to PSF BTW...

9. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Westminster, Meridian and Odyssey from glpease. McClelland British Woods, Wilderness, Legends
    . Presbyterian mixture. Red Raparee.

All pretty easy to get and all are solid choices worth trying.

10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'm not sure what English Blend you mentioned . Captain Black and the Molto are aromatics . Aros and English are great ! When you want to try something other than English styles or Aromatics ... smoke some Burley ! Any Wessex Burley product is killer and MacBaren Golden Extra is really something . Burley was Gods first choice so give it a shot ..... my wife just said to try the Sir Walter Raliegh Aromatic .... thats a killer aro you can find most anywhere [ food store/drug store ] and it's super easy to light and keep going . She's right , it's a no brainer

11. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Yeah, what he said. plus it smells and tastes like chocolate!!!!!!! Tastefully.

12. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Well, the blend I was told to get was Prince Albert, or Carter Hall. Both of which are Over The Counter (OTC) blends, and are available at any drugstore.

13. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

As for an English blend, I like Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian.

14. DocB

DocB Active Member

Welcome to PSF, and +1 on the SWRA. Two Friends English Chocolate is very good, and not an overpowering English blend...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.