suggestions for tobaccos which are easily smokeable from the tin/pouch?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DMiddleton, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMiddleton

DMiddleton Member

I do know how to dry out tobacco and prepare it for smoking but i don't have the patience. i want to just pick up a pipe and some tobacco and put it together with some fire and enjoy without waiting 15, 30, 60 minutes for it to be easily lit and kept alight.

WalkinStick and Skiballa like this.

2. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

Any American OTC tobacco will do that easily, but I'm sure there are many others, you Brits seem to have designed your OTC tobacco to make it more difficult, almost like child-proof lighters. :)

3. Baccy Bert

Baccy Bert Member

I find Condor Long Cut is usually good to go straight from the Condor moment of opening. St. Bruno not so much. +1 on the US OTCs, PA, SWR SWRa, CH can all be procured packed and puffed in quick succession. Some of the less heavier cased Pete aros are difficult to moisten but also difficult to get drier, they're just right when opened.

4. DMiddleton

DMiddleton Member

only tried 2 OTCs and one was pretty good in this area(Clan) and the other is less than stellar(St. Bruno).

5. Baccy Bert

Baccy Bert Member

Finally, a Clan sampler. It's readily available in the area but I've had qualms due to abrasive reviews online. What can you tell me about it?

6. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

Well, depending on your budget, you can get samples of many American OTCs shipped from 4Noggins.com, maybe you'll find something you like. But there are many blends available that are pretty no nonsense in terms of preparation, the trouble is figuring out which one you want.

7. Poriggity

Poriggity Member

I was gonna say, I seem to recall being able to smoke just about everything right out of the pouch, with maybe a few minor exceptions. I don't have any issues with needing to dry out tobacco generally.

8. DMiddleton

DMiddleton Member

I've been meaning to try some Condor for a while, this is a push in the right direction. also been thinking of getting some of the Peterson baccys I used to love so much - Sweet Killarney and Irish Whisky stood out for me.

Baccy Bert and Skiballa like this.
  9. Jimmy Bukowski

Jimmy Bukowski Member

I guess it can maybe change the flavor some say,but instead of waiting for things to dry out I just stick it in the microwave.1792 ready to smoke in 8 seconds.Tastes fine to me.I've had no problems with any of the Dunhill mixes. McClelland mixes also seem ready to go...

WalkinStick likes this.
  10. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

I do enjoy Condor on occasion, but I can manage to pack a bowl of CH, Granger or the like while driving, and light it up easily, I don't have that option with the Condor, that I save for more deliberate smoking enjoyment. I've had pretty good luck with most of the Peterson blends too, I'm the kind of guy that keeps it simple with OTCs during the week, and smoke the blends and flakes that require preparation on the weekends.

Artistik likes this.
  11. DMiddleton

DMiddleton Member

dinner and dried tobacco all in one amazing piece of equipment! seriously though, i might try this on the FVF I've had for a few months. I've actually had some moisture issues with Dunhill London Mix, don't know if i got extra free water or if it's just wetter than the others.

12. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Your Huckleberry

That's the way to go for FVF. Capt turned me on to that method. It's perfect. 8 seconds and it smokes like a dream. No more, no less.

13. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

Squadron leader would be my shout.

14. McCalister

McCalister Member

Freiborg & Treyer Vintage
    McConnell Scottish Flake

I find that thinner flakes are ready to go right of the tin. I also find Capstan Blue the right moisture right out of the tin.

WalkinStick likes this.
  15. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

A lot of the Cornell & Diehl blends I have tried are on the drier side right out of the tin.

bubbagump likes this.
  16. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I agree that the American OTC's like SWR, PA and CH are ready to smoke right off the bat.

DakOOk likes this.
  17. DMiddleton

DMiddleton Member

never tried Squadron but I've heard it's similar to Skiff - one of my favourites - how true is that?

18. conroygc

conroygc Member

I have the same impatient problem as you, which is my jars full of FVF last forever... Captain Black, any OTC, Sutliffe stuff all smokes well right out of the container. You can also let your jar/container dry to the perfect smoking moisture, then seal it back up, and it'll be ready to go when you want it.

WalkinStick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.