1. This forum is for DIY Repair, Maintenance & Restoration. It is for people seeking advice on maintaining their own pipes. It is not for showing off commercial work done by yourself or anyone else.

Dismiss Notice

Super glue for stem

Discussion in 'Repair, Maintenance & Restoration' started by LBauer12, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LBauer12

LBauer12 Member

I bought a pipe on ebay that has some chips/bites out of the stem that will need some some work. I read somewhere about using black super glue to do this. There are several online that I have found, and from Hobbylobby called e6000. If it works ok, it would be a lot cheaper. The only thing I was concerned about was the warning about toxicity, with the stem touching my mouth, breathing it....Does anyone have any experience with e6000?

2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Holymolar should chime in here soon. He has successfully used SG for stem repair.

3. holymolar

holymolar Member

I've only used StewMac black superglue. It sells for $7.84 for 1 oz vs $3.99 for 2 oz of the Hobbylobby brand. But 1 oz is enough for dozens of repairs. Don't know about potential toxicity on stems but I certainly wouldn't put it inside a bowl to repair a crack or something, where it will get heated up and vaporize.

4. LBauer12

LBauer12 Member

I didn't pay much for the pipe I think I'll try this e6000 stuff and see how it works before I spend 10 or more to get it shipped. It's just going on the stem not the bowl at all. Btw the pipe I got I'd a "statesman" is that like a GBD second?

5. LBauer12

LBauer12 Member

Tried the e6000 on a marker cap, not gonna work. It sticks to it fine it's just that it's not hard; it dries rubbery and soft.

6. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Member

If they are really big holes or dings I use two part epoxy with ground up vulcanite in it. For smaller dings I use super glue with vulcanite. With the vulcanite shavings the repairs are almost unnoticeable.

SidStavros likes this.
  7. LBauer12

LBauer12 Member

The problem for me would be getting vulcanite dust since I don't have any throwaway stems. I'll just order that black superglue Holymar uses.

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  8. LBauer12

LBauer12 Member

I want to learn how to do all this because I like the idea of buying pipes on eBay no one else wants, and making them like new.

User3940 likes this.
  9. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula Active Member

I have repaired one stem with superglue on a grabow. It was a pin hole so small that I actually had to make the hole bigger to get the superglue in and not just on the surface. I got the super glue in, sanded the stem down through the different grades to micromesh, polished it and the pipe works and smokes like nothing was ever wrong. I do not taste anything differently from any other pipe I have smoked. But, this hole I repaired was not on the end where it could be chewed. The hole was in the middle of the stem on the under side. If you would like I can post some pictures of the final repair. Just let me know.

10. LBauer12

LBauer12 Member

That's ok you don't have to post pics I've seen some from other threads, thanks though.

11. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

I've used the Stew-Mac product on several stems, very successfully. I sometimes mix it with regular clear Super-Glue as the regular stuff seems to have a harder, more acrylic like finish. Older Comoys stems seem to restore shinier than other brands (this one dates from the post WWII to the early 50's)

Here's one write up on a Comoys 498 Extrordinaire
    http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/06/29/comoys-498-extraordinaire-restoration/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. LBauer12

LBauer12 Member

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't an extra $6 or $7 for shipping a 1 oz package. Someone was saying they dry out in the bottle, has anyone had that problem.

13. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

Yep, a bottle from Stew-Mac is around $15 shipped. But, it has an excellent lid and is a lot more viscous than regular Super-Glue so it looks like it will hold up for a long time.

14. DogTalker

DogTalker Member

I have a bottle of stew Mac glue that's at least a year old. Ever now and then I have to poke the tip to clear itbut then works fine.
    I just fixed a bite through with tthis glue, no vulcanite dust used. Looks perfect. Just make sure you get the oxidation off first or it will leave a white ring around the repair. It seems the glue melts the area around the repair.

KingsTarantula likes this.
  15. LBauer12

LBauer12 Member

What's the best way to remove oxidation. I've heard good and bad about oxyclean. Is sanding with micromesh sufficient?

16. browny

browny Member

If you want some Vulcanite dust there is a way of sorts to get it, do you have any vulcanite stems were the airway (tenon) is simply drilled and left flat? I just yesterday grabbed a sharp little knife and chamfered/tapered 2 stems I had that were like this, burble issue is gone but I stupidly threw the shavings into the bin.....if only I'd thought to save them.

I can't yet comment on the micromesh but with all the good reports on here I'm getting some before too long.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  17. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

That's a serious point,who knows when it's mixed with our saliva?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.