Sutliff Man's Best Friend

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Brian Damage, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

Just tried some for the first time yesterday and so far have had 4 bowls of it. I really really like this stuff. The cut is chunky which makes it a bit of a bugger to light and keep lit but it can be broke down for easier lighting. All the flavors are balanced and it has that same "I don't know what" flavoring as some of the other Sutliff blends. All in all I would recommend this but really just to seasoned smokers who have their technique down. Kind of an oddity as most of the sutliff blends are beginner worthy as far as packing and lighting go.

RTOdhner likes this.

2. sorringowl

sorringowl Emoticonally challenged

Is this a take off (like a lot of Sutliff's blends) on an old mainstay tobacco? I just got a tin (in a trade, I think) of Old Dog, which I keep going back to and yesterday (smoking it all day), I realized this is my new favorite. Is MBF anything like OD?

Mington likes this.
  3. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

It says it is "perfect for fans of Barking Dog". I have come to find that when Sutliff says it is perfect for fans of yadda yadda yadda it usually means this is a blend that is similar and not supposed to be a match. I have never had OD so I can't speak to any similarities but this is some damn fine tobaccy.

4. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Been wanting to try this one.

5. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Yet more fodder for the TAD list. This pipe smoking bidnis can drive a man to madness!

Mington likes this.
  6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I like this stuff! But I hate the rough cut. I find it burns better in a fairly generously sized bowl :puffy:

Its sort of a semi-aromatic latakia mixture....and it tastes good....kind neat

7. sorringowl

sorringowl Emoticonally challenged

That's what I was suspecting. Damn...now I'm gonna' have to try it.

8. Capt

Capt Active Member

Mington has a tin he will probably trade. I have a tin of the #5 with 3 bowls missing if anyone is interested. I personally can't stand the stuff.

9. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

I found Blend No5 to be a bit boring but it is good for introducing people to English blends.

RTOdhner likes this.
  10. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

The #5 is a decent enough beginners smoke, but it doesn't really pass muster if you've been pipe smoking for much over a year or so.

Capt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.