Sutliff Private Stock

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by adpipes, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adpipes

adpipes Member

It was on sale and I thought I could use some "knocking around" tobacco. The reviews were pretty decent. Definitely different than anything I have.

[​IMG]

Anyone try any of these?

2. atwageman

atwageman Member

Blend #5 is an ok english and if your into aromatics the rum and maple ain't bad.

3. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I'm working on the last of a tin of "Maple Street" and love the stuff. It's not as strong or overbearing as it smells fresh from the tin. It seems pretty damp but lights with little effort, and once you have it going you can burn it right to the bottom. If you try and smoke a little fast it'll give you tongue bite, but just letting it smolder along and it gives you a constant maple/rum taste. Not sickening sweet, but it is there.

Most times so far I rotate between that and some OTC's. I was thinking of mixing a little but I can't bear the thought of possibly messing up the last of it I have.

I do plan on getting a larger tin of it the beginning of July if possible.

4. adpipes

adpipes Member

Good to know, hopefully that is something that these blends have in common with Maple Street because they smell really sugary. I figured for $5 a tin it was a better buy than some cheap bulk.

5. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I recieved it as a free sample that I'd signed up for some time ago. When I first popped the top off all I could imagine was something that tasted like a mouthfull of maple suryup, but it wasn't. It is a sweet, sugary, tangy kind of taste so if you don't like the sweeter stuff then don't bother with it. But IMO it's one of the better ones I've smoked within the last year of trying everything I could get my paws on.

I guess I should add that I've never been overly fond of maple tasting anything through the years. So someone that is might fall right in love with this weed.

6. The German Shepherd

The German Shepherd Member

SWMBO likes Great Outdoors  when I smoke it.. :whistle:

Jay

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I have smoked #5...it's a meh, take it/leave it English. However, between the free tin mailed out, and the 4 I bought locally for 2.29, I figured I got about 1/2 lb. of 'baccy for 9 bucks and change. Not to sham-dabby!

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I've tried the great outdoors blend and it was o.k. to me though I wanted it to have more nicotine and punch . It didnt seem to give a full mouthfull even though I exhaled out a cloud . I want to try the maple blend .

9. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I liked #5. Like I said in the other thread, it isn't the best English blend but it is good and I have had worse. It was a little sweet as English blends go, a fair amount of latakia. Not real heavy but it is there. For the price it is a decent smoke. If you find it cheap it is worth picking up.

I tried Great Outdoors and I just don't care for it. I have heard alot about Maple Street and I plan to get some. I don;t know why but the maple thing just sounds good on a cool fall evening.

10. adpipes

adpipes Member

I tried the Great Outdoors tonight. I'm not sure if it is the tobacco or the pipe I smoked it out of but I got a lot of gurgle and the tobacco at the bottom got so soupy I couldn't finish it. Maybe I'll try it again in a different pipe. Is it possible that it didn't taste like much because of the way it burned? Based on the smell of the tobacco I expected it to be more flavorful.

11. yinyang

Air it out(humectants are de riguer with Altadis blends)...also, is the pipe new? And to be fair, tin note and room note don't too often coalesce.

12. adpipes

adpipes Member

Estate pipe, first time I smoked out of it though. I'll try letting the tobacco sit out for a few minutes first next time.

13. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Just a few min won't do it. With those heavily moistened blends you're talking a solid 30-90 min subject to where you live.

14. adpipes

adpipes Member

:coffee:

15. yinyang

Keep in mind with estate(or new, even) pipes, that variables like a poorly drilled airway, poor/no cake buildup, your personal 'drool' factor, and maybe something like tamping technique could all contribute to a similar problem. Heck, I have a Stanwell Estate that refuses to smoke Latakia anything without gurgling. Go figure.

16. adpipes

adpipes Member

Yea, that is another thing I am fighting with. I've got all these pipes and I really don't know how they smoke so I don't know if the issue is the pipe or the tobacco. And the ones I know smoke well I don't want to smoke an aromatic out of for fear of ghosting. I guess I should grab a couple more cobs...that's another thing that makes pipes so interesting for me though. :groucho:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.