Sutliff Westminster

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Stonewall, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I received a tin of this tobacco as a part of a trade with another forum member. I thought I'd give it a go today as the reviews I've read weren't very positive.

Pipe: 7 inch Gouda Clay.

Tin Note: Light smokey aroma from the opening; a slight hint of nuttyness. And perhaps fruit (currents or raisins). Really low moisture level straight out of the tin. Perfect dryness.

Charring/Lighting: Lights very easily and stays lit.

Flavor: As others have commented, not a lot going on in the flavor department. I didn't find it completely bland, but very, very mild. The Latakia is present, but not a forerunner as I expected. The Virginia running a close race with the Latakia. The Turkish is what I find most predominant in this blend most of all.

Nicotine: Once again, very, very mild.

Mid-Bowl: Not much change for me. The Turkish comes out a little more with a slight peppery note, although there is no Oriental or Perique in this blend.

Finish: Smokes down to ash very well with no wet or moist end. Burns much like Carter Hall. But thats where the kinship ends between the two.

Overall: No trip to flavor town here. Not much in terms of Nicotine either. All in all a very light and mild English type blend that would perhaps be a good starter, or crossover for those going from aromatics to english blends. Certainly an all day smoker tobacco. If I could get it dirt cheap, I'd buy it just to smoke when driving. Other than that...no thrills here.

RTOdhner and David Emond like this.

2. HazyDat620

HazyDat620 Member

3. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

:D No worries here. Like I said, it's an all-day type smoking tobacco. And honestly, if it were really inexpensive, I'd cellar a pound or two just for a mild smoke. Its not bad as other reviews have indicated. At least not in my opinion.

4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Well on my one day off this week, the gale force winds of a Saskatchewan November thought it an opportune time to wipe out the east side of our cedar fence.

And since something had been bothering me about my experience with this blend, I determined to give it another go. Like I said, something wasn't sitting right with me. Did I simply base my comments on the influence of other reviews? Was it a combination of the time of day I smoked it, the fact that I only gave it one bowls chance before thinking I had arrived to a through or honest conclusion?

Well, standing out in the winds that would give the Gortons Fisherman a thrill, and my head and sinus being clear from the chill thereof, and nothing on my palate but the cold breeze, I thought what a great opportunity to have a pipe. So I reloaded the Westminster into the clay and head for the garage. The unheated garage.

And I have to confess, I'm glad I did. Because I discovered something about this blend I really like. That something that had bugged me all of yesterday evening. I wouldnt say this blend is similar to an OTC as initially thought. Albeit i still find it a mild blend, with no huge fireworks at any particular juncture of the journey, perhaps that's the intention.

This blend is subtle, but interesting. Very interesting, IMO. The Turkish is the front runner just as previously stated, but I found the Latakia and Virginia to be blended perfectly and complementary, to the Turkish.

Like Carter Hall, this is definitely a blend for all the live long day. But it's just unique enough, just subtle enough,to peak ones interests and please the palate.

I actually would buy this blend again, in fact, I really wouldn't mind having a pound or two of this for casual smoking.

Skrymr and HazyDat620 like this.
  5. HazyDat620

HazyDat620 Member

Well shoot sounds like I should have popped the top on that bad boy and had a couple bowls myself before sending it off. BTW the zulu is was nice, smoked a bowl of it in my MM dip while walking through the corn maze with the fam last week. a great smoke for a warm fall day.

Stonewall likes this.
  6. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Well, this is why I'll form my own thoughts and opinions on a blend prior to reading any reviewsfrom here on, as they fall into individual interpretation for the most part, anyway.

In looking, the tobacco is actually reasonably priced at just over $6 for a 2oz tin. Frankly, as I alluded to in the above posts, theres just something there that intrigued me about this blend. I'm glad I revisited it. I plan to again, tomorrow, as I'm putting up a new fence. Provided the weather permits. Its a perfect blend in my opinion, for piddling about. And its mild enough that your not over doing it in regard to smoking it while your attention is elsewhere. Carter Hall or perhaps, Balkan Sasieni is similar in the sense that it works well for me when I smoke it, unconsciously, if you will.

I can't say that in regard to blends like, Penzance, or HMV, etc, where I really need to relax and focus on my draw, or the like. I wouldn't mind having a dozen tins or so to cellar. I'll at least buy a few to put away, just to see if it changes any with some age.

Thank you for including it in the trade. I'm glad you enjoyed the Zulu.

HazyDat620 and Skrymr like this.
  7. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

That sounds like a great week day smoke. Thanks for the review. I will have to add that to my TAD list.

Stonewall likes this.
  8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Great review. I'm gonna have to try it;

The problem I had with Sutliff blends was trying to make them something they are not, and expecting them to measure up to the likes of Dunhill or C&D. They don't, but I don't think they were intended to. I've tried their Golden Age, and hated it. I tried their Balkan Delux, and thought it was decent. Tried their Blend Nr. 5, and thought it would make for a decent beginner's intro to English Blends. Then I tried their CD Blend, and it hit me - they're just meh if you try to make them out as a "high end" blend, but pretty good as all-day blends that are a notch or two above an OTC. Sutliff blends, I think, need to be viewed in the light of an all-day smoke that you can just puff away on and enjoy just a bowl of tobacco. I've found a place or two that sells them for about $7USD a tin, and I think that they're worth it. Other places charge about $10USD a tin, but that's more than I'm willing to pay.

SidZiff and HazyDat620 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.