Sweet Mother of Pearl!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Many years I tried a bulk blend called "Copenhagen Slices." It was some sort of VA flake. I didn't know how to properly rub it, light it, or smoke it, and it set off 10 alarms on my tongue. The experience was so bad that I steered clear of any flake tobacco for 20 years.

However, I kept seeing flake blends referred to w/great affection here on PSF. So, I googled flake, read up on how to rub it properly, how to fill the pipe properly, how to light it properly, and how to smoke it properly. I researched the different blends, and set out to buy some MacBaren Navy Flake.

The B&M I went to in Fort Worth, however was out. The only thing they had in stock was Orlik Golden Slice. I almost walked out, but decided that since I drove 30 miles for some flake I was going to buy it anyway. On the way home I hit an estate shop and bought a small plate to hold the rubbed-out flake. (A nice little plate that has a Norman Rockwell print of an old sailor smoking a pipe as he builds a model ship).

I got home and cracked the tin. The tin note was a light, sweet, citrus aroma. It might be a casing, but it might also simply be the naturally sweet smell of the Virginia - though it's probably more likely that that wonderful sroma is a little of both. The blend itself is a simple Virginia and Burly mix, and the beautiful medium brown and golden flakes reflect this lineage.

I fully rubbed-out the flakes with ease and virtually no mess, filled the cob, did the charring light, tamped, and relighted. OMG!!! The most wonderful and mellow I have ever had was my reward. No bite, the flavor is sublime, and the room note is just plain pleasant - going on 25 years of pipe smoking, this is the only toby I can actually smell when I smoke it. Between the flavor and the room note, this smoking experience is akin to summer walks through the freshly cut hay and alfalfa fields of Wayne County, PA. We're talking a perfectly balanced symphony of Virginia and Burly here folks.

I find it hard to believe that there could be a much better flake toby out there - but I sure am willing to look. My second experience with flake was a clear winner, and I plan keeping a tin of "Uncle Orlik" on hand at all times. I'll say it again - "OMG! Orlik iis awesome!"

2. Jay

Jay Active Member

OGS, a really great tobacco, always tastes like home made bread/ toast on lighting. Good Stuff. Glad you found it!

3. ichabod

ichabod Member

Sounds good. Where did you go in Ft. Worth? I am much more used to the Houston area but am a bit closer to Dallas/Ft.Worth and may have to go check some places out here soon.

I was also going to say that I've got a tin of McClelland navy cavendish if you wanted to try some of that I can mail you a couple bowls, but then realized you were looking for flake tobacco and I think this is considered cake not flake.

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

OGS is great flake and very reasonably priced. Corn-gratz! Smoked it in a cob too! So, I guess you're moniker is gonna read "OGS OGRE"?

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

5. RTOdhner

The B&M is called Tobacco Lane, it's on Main, practically dead center between 4th and 5th Streets. There is a public parking lot real close by, and when I went there today the parking was free. I could have got the Orlik for about $5.00 cheaper on line, but I like to use traditional B&M's whenever I can. Tobacco Lane is a nice one, with a helpful and courteous staff. The selection is a bit limited, but they have a good selection of tinned and bulk tobacco and a decent selection of pipes at fairly decent prices. (Good cigar selection, too). Considering the great service, the extra $5.00 was well spent.

I'll be a repeat customer for sure, and I'll probably go every few months.

6. RTOdhner

Hadn't thought of that. but now that you mention it "OGS Ogre" might just work.

When I was rubbing out the flake, I got distracted and rubbed out two flakes in stead of one, which was way more than the Diplomat could hold so I left the extra toby on the rubbing plate while I went to watch my kid's little league game. Came back a couple of hours later and smoked the rest in a briar. Still outstanding, but not as outstanding as it was in the cob. The Diplomat was a little small, so I think I'll pick up another Country Gentleman for the bigger bowl size.

I collect corncobs and Peterson's, but in the case of the OGS I think the cob is going to be a better smoker.

7. Beale

Beale Active Member

I think I need to do some research! You make it sound so delish!! I can taste it in my head, Beale.

8. RTOdhner

If you like Virginia blends, and want just a simple and mellow smoke, then I think you'll like it. Sip it slow, and you'll be rewarded richly. I really rubbed the dickens out of it, packed it a little looser than I usually do, and took just a little extra care in lighting it. Just fantastic! If the other flake tobies are anywhere near this good, I can see flake tobacco becoming my primary smoke.

9. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

While OGS isn't a "pure" VA (it's got a little burley in it), I still consider it one of the finest VAs out there. Nothing's better on a hot day than some OGS and a large glass of iced tea.

OGS is a great tasting, easy smoking blend. I find the citrus note especially nice! I've got some aging and I imagine it will be superb after a couple of years.

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

OGS is easily in my top three.
    Just wait until you've tried GAF.
    Not to mention Capstan. :groucho:

dp

11. cathain

cathain Member

I guess this just goes to show that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and taste is in the mouth of the smoker.
    I have a tin of OGS that's been opened for a few months but I've only smoked a few flakes from it.
    There was nothing wrong with it, I just found it uninspiring. The taste is simple as you said, it didn't really have anything that appealed to me. Nothing offensive or dislikable, I just found it rather mediocre and limp. As a cigarette smoker, I like some Vitamin N in my baccy and this didn't deliver it for me. For the moment, FVF is my Go To, with IF when I want something more substantial. But tastes change (I loved English blends when I first started but now I have no desire to smoke them or any Lat blends), and I'm sure I'll give it a try again along with my SJF at some point.

Anyway, glad you found something you enjoy so much.
    Maybe I'll send you the rest of my tin :)

12. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I'm with BrotherBriar on this one. Hay and nothingness, for me. A respectable smoke, but not something I'd seek out.

13. MarkC

MarkC Member

Thanks for the review. I have got a couple tins but have not tried it yet. I may have to open one over the holiday weekend.

You make it sound sooo good.

Mark

14. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Great review...I guess it's time to put this baccy on my wish list....
    Cheers!

15. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Can't believe more people haven't tried
    this flake. Great starter flake for one
    who hasn't delved into the flake realm
    yet. I like my flakes on the lighter side,
    so it's an excellent all-day'er for me.
    Sitting on a least a pound and a half
    right now.

dp

16. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

Funny I should stumble upon this post! I recently bought a tim of OGS and have been just as excited about it. After hearing that it was a great starter flake and also a good way to venture into the realm of Viginias, I dove in head first. And boy am I glad I did!

Thanks for the wonderful review! Having just tried it myself, and being a newby that is just beginning to delve into Virginias, I could not have said it better myself!

Mountainhigh

17. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

The only flake I've tried is SG FVF. I received a couple of bowlfulls from a friend and that was it... Liked it but, it's out of stock everywhere.. for over a year UGH! Next baccy order, if I am permitted (wife), hopefully Orlik will be available. If not - oh well,it'll be another flake.

18. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

If this stuff is as good as everyone seems to think I'll have to get some myself, sooner rather than later me thinks

19. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

OGS is a wonderful classic. I probably wouldn't be smoking a pipe today if it weren't for OGS.

About 15 years ago, I was fiddling about with some aromatics and found myself more or less confused by the whole piping situation. I would have one decent smoke and then eight unpleasant ones. Then one day I was visiting DC and stopped in at the Old Virginia Tobacco Company. The fellow at the counter was smoking something something that smelled great and I told him so. He was a good salesman, so within 5 minutes I was standing at the counter with a new Boswell pipe and a tin of MacBaren Scottish Mixture (because that's what he'd been smoking). On impulse, I asked him to suggest one more tobacco and he gave me a wee tin of OGS.

And thank goodness. I sizzled my tongue on the Scottish Mixture but the OGS gave me my first series of genuinely good smokes and hooked me on the pipe.

20. RTOdhner

The OGS was my first venture into flake in over 20 years, and a good venture it has been. It's opened a new door for me, and has got me bucking at the shoot to try more flake tobaccos. My first good cigar was an Arturo Fuente, and mentally Arturo Fuente is the yard stick against which I have measured all cigars since. I suspect such will be the case with OGS and any other flake I try.

And eager I am to keep trying flake tobies. The baccy suggestions and insights you guys have given me are invaluable. Thanks much. :thumbsu:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.