Sweet Syrians

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by AndyLowry, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I've been exploring a style of tobacco lately that doesn't seem to have a name, so I think of them as "Syrian desert desserts." I happened upon the family by accident: first I had McC. Three Oaks Syrian, then Wilderness, then Orient 996, then Samovar, then Ringlow Reserve, and now Syrian Star. Something beautiful is going on here. There's something about Syrian that goes quite well with sweet Virginias and various Orientals, and the more focus given to the sweetness, the better. It seems as though it's the Syrian that is holding everything together, even though there's a lot more going on with each of the mentioned blends. I will be quite disheartened when Syrian, inevitably, goes away. Luckily, Scottish Woods manages to use Cyprian in a similar way, though it's a little hamfisted in comparison.

Hie thee hence and get some Syrian mixtures while thee still can, I beseech thee.

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Syrian latakia was what turned my head towards lats. Didn't much care for Cyprian until I tried Syrian containing blends..........then it was all over! Became a "lataholic" this past summer! Then, I discovered how much I like Syrian with a touch of Cyprian (both together) in the blend......WHOAAH! Wilderness is a fine example of both in concert! What a blend!

Give some of the other McCl "Grand Orientals" a "go"! I mainly shot for the 4 star'd ones on TR but now am quite curious about the 3 stars offerings........

I blame it all on Dondi..........he'd just smoke lat after lat after lat after even more lat....got me wondering "maybe I should give this Dondi-weed a shot"........glad I did!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

3. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Most of the Frog Morton lat blends use Syrian. Yum. I love me some Across The Pond. Its so sweet, but subtle. And the cooler it is smoked, the sweeter it seems to be. I've always thought it to be a complex blend if you really spend some time getting to know it. And it truly is a super-cool smoke. So it tends to stay on the sweet side. What kind of latakia is in Commonwealth? My guess has been Cyprian, but I'd love to know for sure. Anyone know?

4. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

I also am on the syrian train but some blends are just way too sweet for me.

One of those being Ringlow Syrian Reserve. I have smoked 3 bowls and struggled to get through them because the taste is too sweet and off putting to me.

Now Three Oaks Syrian is my Fav and i have a couple tins set aside to age and I also enjoy Samovar by them.

The great thing I love about syrian is that it is subtle yet adds a good depth to VAs and Oriental blends.

Ive stocked up on those I like just incase bad news arrives about no more syrian latakia.

I really dont care much for cyprian latakia mainly because all blends ive had so far, mostly GLP, all taste the same. its pure smokiness without any depth(IMHO) and although i will smoke a cyp blend I just find no joy in them to keep buying them.

So ive decided its all VAs, VaPers, and Oriental/Syrian blends.

5. Brian

Brian Member

I have a tin of McClelland Syrian Super Balkan, and I smoked about half of it. I put the rest into the cellar. It is sweet, and contains some Perique too.

I just didn't have a taste for it. It was high-quality tabak, don't get me wrong. My problem was the Perique I think. I like sweeter tobaccos, VA's in particular. I'm just not a fan of Perique at this point in my pipe career.

6. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Guilty as charged :bing:
    well now I got two tins of Wilderness incoming ... Got Ed to blame for that :lol:

7. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I am going from memory here as I finished my tin a few months ago but MacBaren Vintage Syrian was pretty sweet. I liked it about as much as I liked McC Three Oaks Syrian, which is alot.

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Yeah it's a toby that I find easy to spend time with. So many great Syrians to choose from. Used to run away just from the smell.....now that I'm passed the smell, I've got her............uhhhh, wait, that's yet another thread! :wink:

Dondi, it's your fault! Thank you bro!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.