Sweet tobacco recommendations?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Puffer73, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puffer73

Puffer73 New Member

Fellow Pipesmokers,

I was wondering if anybody could recommend a really sweet tobacco for me to try in my Parker Briar. I am in the UK so if there are any UK pipe smokers who have suggestions that would be great.
    A really sweet tobacco, with a pleasant aroma, but not too strong would be ideal.
    If it can be obtained by ordering online then all the better:)

Also, does anybody have any recommendations for sample packs/tobacco hampers worth trying available in the UK?

I look forward to responses.
    Thanks very much,

Puffer73

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Mington and Puffer73 like this.
  3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Samuel Gawith Kendal Plug
    Samuel Gawith Grousemoor Plug or Mixture
    St. Bruno
    Peter Stokkebye Sweet Vanilla
    Peterson University Flake
    Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Best Brown #2

or if you're willing to order from the USA, check out pretty much any Virginia blend from McClelland. The yearly Christmas Cheer line is a definite favorite among smokers. McC's VA blends tend to be nice and tangy sweet, with a mild level of nicotine.

Puffer73 likes this.
  4. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

5. Puffer73

Puffer73 New Member

Many thanks for your replies, think I'll be doing some online ordering this weekend and stocking up on some of these succulent flavours:)
    It's time Mrs.Puffer had some different aroma's in the house I think :xd:

6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

If you haven't tried St. Bruno, I recommend it. Can't get it here in the US very easily, but someone here was kind enough to gift me a 25g packet of the stuff. I'm told you can find it at many newsagents and the likes. It's certainly a classic by all accounts, and definitely something you ought to try at least once! Sweet, medium bodied, not too heavy on the nicotine but certainly not a lightweight, apparently easy to find in the UK, and it smells wonderful if you ask me!

7. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

I do wish this stuff was available in the US...lol.. I'd love to give it a whirl.

8. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

If you want sweet, I would recommend Stanwell Melange, Solani Sweet Mystery, Peterson Sunset Breeze. All of them are blended in Europe so they should be available to you.

Mark w4mms and Mington like this.
  9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

@Darkly, if you are referring to St. Bruno:
    While they ARE different in terms of the scent applied, I would say that both GH Best Brown #2 and GH Kendal Flake would make good substitutes for St. Bruno, and both are easily obtained in the US from most e-tailers and even from a number of good B&Ms. They are less strongly floral than the likes of Ennerdale, but still have a hint of floral topping, like St. Bruno does, and are both nice, sweet, medium bodied VA dominant smokes. Neither is a dead ringer, of course, but while I liked St. Bruno a lot it isn't really worth the expense of trying to get it from a UK site when you can get equally good, similar blends (if still a little different) from US retailers for much less money.

10. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

I'll have to look into getting some of the GH bb2 and kendal flake when funds improve.

11. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

ummm..errrr...ahhhh...
    the only sweet one on this list (IMO) is: PS Sweet Vanilla

Samuel Gawith Kendal Plug
    Samuel Gawith Grousemoor Plug or Mixture
    St. Bruno
    Peter Stokkebye Sweet Vanilla
    Peterson University Flake
    Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Best Brown #2

TxPipesmoker likes this.
Thread Status: