Sweet Virginia v/s anything with Latakia.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Ol Brokedik, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I'm at a loss! I can't figure out why I can't enjoy Virginias. I'll admit I prefer anything with Latakia. I'm in love with Latakia. Virginias I've tried are FVF, MacBarens Navy Flake,OGS and #5100. What I do enjoy are Orientals,Balkan and English.
    I've passed the tin of FVF and OGS to another member of our forum so it will be appreciated by another. I'm still working on the #5100 hoping I'll warm up to it. I can still taste, so it's not leather tongue.
    Will you pipers with experience in these matters please give me your input. Q. Is it possible for a Latakia lover to get the same level of enjoyment for Virginias?
    Please advise. Thanks!
    Ol Brokedik.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I can't think of a pure/straight Virginia that I prefer over the bastardized aromatic/va/per garbage that I ordinarily smoke. I'd take a bowl of Club Blend or Dark Twist or Mixture or Cut Blended Plug or Virginia Woods or Grey Havens or any number of tobaccos over a brown flake any day.

I love light English too - Jubilee, Presbyterian... yummy! Why would I smoke something as utterly boring as Orlik Golden Sliced?

Now, that's me. A whole wack of guys here love Golden Sliced. Great! Fill your boots, boys. I'm not at all trying to say it's bad tobacco. I just don't find it very interesting. I'll take sweet and spicey over creamy and uniform any day.

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I dont know man , youve been smoking awhile as it is . Maybe youre just a latakia dude ya know .Theres alot of different flavors out there ... dosent mean you gotta like em . I guess just experiment ... maybe something will hit you

4. cmw00

cmw00 Member

This is something I'm coming to the same conclusion on. I've been smoking mostly some OGS and 5100 lately. First bowl of 5100, I really liked, but ever since that bowl, both OGS and 5100 have been very boring for me.

I'm probably gonna take a break from them for awhile. I've found a light VA aromatic that I really like, and there are some others that I really want to try.

5. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

It could just be that it's not your thing. But on the other hand, I think if you're coming into the straight-up VA blends from one of the more exotic arms of the pipe tobacco world -- in your case, latakia blends -- it can take you a bit to develop a taste for them. I think people who are into lat blends or aromatics or whatever expect something more pronounced and you have to get past what's "missing" before you appreciate what's there. That was my experience anyway.

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I was going to say something similar. English blends have a pronounced flavor...'Latakia'. Aro's have a pronounced flavor too...(insert personal preference here). That said, straight VA has a less 'sock it to me' flavor profile...you have to work to pick up on it, by most accounts. Is it worth the fight? Eh, to each his own. Fighting through blend after blend of VA, dropping hard earned money in the process, only to find you just don't care seems asinine. (Unless you have a Haha! Now I get it moment.) There's no harm in saying it isn't your bag. I know there is a small circle of opinion that says VA is the epitome of pipe tobac, but I don't buy it. Some of the guys here, whom I respect highly(don't tell them I said that, dammit!), are more or less like Burley fans, English fans, (Club Blend fans :whistle: )etc. etc. I say enjoy what you enjoy. Your experience is a fountainhead of knowledge for the less experienced pipers here,(myself included...) regardless of weed of choice. My .02

7. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Wow! I'm pressed. Good answer YY. :goodjob:

8. yinyang

Eh, I'm drunk. Tomorrow I'll recant everything...except the Club Blend part!

Just kidding, of course...(That's twice you've complimented me...I'm starting to get scared...)

-Kyle

9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

:cheers: Club Blend is smoked by all Shrewd Judges.

10. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Be afraid! Be very afraid..........

11. yinyang

No worries...I am!

(Also, I'm ignoring Sasquatch's 'Shrewd Judge' barb...any additional attention I draw by mentioning it can only increase it's popularity...and I shudder at the thought of that... :xd: )

12. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I don't know what the deal is. Some people like Wright Brand bacon sliced thick and some don't. Go figure.

Samuel Gawith Navy Flake strikes me as something you might find uniquely balanced and satisfying..

13. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

Yeah I will add the caveat to my comment that it "came to me" before I had smoked through my first three tins of VA, which I had all ordered at the same time, and also that some of the VA's I originally wrote off as bland I had come back to after they'd hung around in a jar for a few months and they turned out to be favorites. So that might be an indication of what it takes to make virginias "up your alley" but beyond that yinyang is probably right, I'd just give up and accept the fact that you may be limited to only three gazillion or so other tobacco blends out there.

14. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Great thread! Personally, I too prefer blends with orientals and latakia...

But I'm lucky to have found a straight virginia which is quite flavorful and which I really enjoy... it's called Condor.

15. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Virginias are at the top of my list, straight or blended. I don't care for burley, but there are plenty of blends containing burley that I like quite a bit. Its all in what you like and don't like. If you want to "explore the world of Virginias", I recommend a tall billiard and a very slow, gentle "sipping" technique. They can challenge your packing and puffing techniques to get to the flavor without scorching your tongue. I suspect that's where Mac Baren gets their reputation as a tongue burner.

16. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Somebody wise (not me!) once posted, "If we were all the same we'd all be smoking Carter Hall in Billiard pipes" and there's a large element of truth in that - after all we don't all like the same whisky or the same beer and some don't like either.

I'd say if you've found the type of tobacco that suits you, why change? Tastes do change however over time and as you get older your tastes get plainer and drier - 20 years ago I loved Brandy and before thsat Gin and Tonic; now I can't stand either and would rather have a whisky and water or a vodka martini.

Up to a year ago I really loved Balkans and Orientals - then I bought two pounds of John Patton's Quadruple Virginia ( plain undoctired tobacco that looks like it just came out of the curing shed; since smoking my way through that with great pleasure I cannot enjoy or even smoke something with latakia in it - my tastes have just changed.

Don't like Virginias - don't worry about it - just enjoy the tastes you like!

Happy smoking all

Gerry

17. len smetona

len smetona Member

I have come to realize - that tobacco is too chaotic to me to figure out. It seems to me that how the taste comes off depends on many things, what you had before, what you ate, what you drank. If I were a smart man, I would come up with some standard of what to eat and drink, and don't change it!

Being a newbie, I suppose things will change, but I have had good smokes and not so good smokes - with the same tobacco.. Toby that is highly rated does not taste as good to me as some of the lowly rated stuff. Last night was a good example. I had peppery Chinese food for dinner, and afterwards a bowl of PS black truffle, merlot on the side. Normally I like that blend a lot but it was a bit burny and not so good tasting. I was really disappointed. I was not through smoking though, and had some CD Opening Night - which I like, but with last nights combo it never tasted so good! What a relief from the burn, and I tasted flavors in it I never had tasted before.

So for me to really enjoy Opening Night, I need:

1. Mongolian beef for dinner
    2. a bowl of PS black truffle
    3. Merlot
    4. then, I can really enjoy the Opening Night.

Simple as that.

18. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

I think coming from the cigar world has helped me in my pipe quest. I'm used to picking out subtle nuisances in cigar smoke. If I don't want to have to figure out subtle flavors I smoke latika blends. These have an in your face flavor that is right up front. If I really want to concentrate on my smoke I prefer virginia blends.

Being a new pipe I'm pretty open to anything. The only thing I've closed the door on are a few aromatics.

19. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Much of the "taste" of tobacco, or anything else for that matter is really smell. Virginias tend to have a more delicate flavor. They are also a high sugar tobacco, and burn hotter than burley, and can be a bit bitey. Smoking them slowly reduces the bite, and produces more flavor. You have a certain amount of flavor receptors on your tongue, and as you get older, they die off, thus requiring stronger/spicier flavors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.