SWR

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by brumoon, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Robin

Robin Member

No, I"ll get to it this weekend, I have about 5 different tobaccos I'm puffing on just now, it's hard to get around to 'em all. I'm actually a very light smoker, so at the rate of one to two bowls a day I must choose carefully! :)
    I will let you guys know what I think about the SWR though, its been so long since I've smoked it I really don't remember anything about it. It was one my dad smoked when I was a kid, and I used to smoke his pipes some when he was at work, raiding the liquor cabinet was another favorite pastime, kids today have no idea how to have fun! :)

2. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Sorry, I just assume everyone smokes 10- 12 bowls a day like me :)
    When you do get around to it, take a deep whiff of the pouch aroma. Pure yummy tobacco smell, slightly tangy almost like a Virginia. I find there is a slight tang in the smoke as well, to go along with the nutty-sweet flavor.

It may sound odd for such a basic tobacco, but I really like to take my time and savor SWR. I sip it and frequently let it go out.
    Have I mentioned I really like SWR? :)

colorduke and Robin like this.
  3. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I bought a pouch of SWR once......ONCE.

4. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Didn't like it, I'm guessing?
    If so that's ok. Not everyone likes what I like, for some reason :)

5. Robin

Robin Member

OK, I gotta try it out tonight now. Ephraim, you make it sound good, so I guess I just gotta see for myself. :)

Ephraim likes this.
  6. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Actually the flavor wasn't that bad. The problem I had is the Fire Marshal felt that it was not safe to have indoors due to the lack of any moisture and the combustibility.

Ephraim likes this.
  7. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Hopefully I haven't set you up for disappointment, but its cheap enough that if ya don't like it you're only down a few bucks.
    On the other hand perhaps you'll really enjoy it. Just remember that its a straightforward burley, not extremely complex or anything. Just great burley that tastes like yummy tobacco :)

Robin likes this.
  8. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

The newer pouches marked with the manufacturer are quite fresh and moist. I end up drying it out anyway though :)

9. User3940

User3940 Active Member

The regular SWR did not appeal to me. The SWR Aeromatic is very good, and I usually have a pouch of it lying around the work bench.

10. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

I actually haven't tried the Aromatic. I do hear its quite nice though.

11. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Give it a go. I think you'll like it. Around here it is a little hard to find in the stores as the stores only order the standard.

12. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

My local grocery store where I get my CH and SWR doesn't carry it. But I'll check out the Wal-Mart this weekend, as they do have a rather large tobacco section.
    It isn't overwhelmingly aromatic is it?

ruffinogold likes this.
  13. Robin

Robin Member

I already bought a pouch of it, so like it or not, the money is spent. I'd say I'll like it just fine, as I enjoy both PA, and CH, and they are very basic burley tobaccos. I'll know for sure by Monday. :)

Wildcat and Ephraim like this.
  14. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Probably not . If you rehydrated it and are Meh with it .. there wont be much difference with a fresh pouch/tub . Heck , I've smoked some old SWR [ like decades old ] and rehydrated it and could barely tell the difference between it and new stuff

15. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Not at all ... unless you get SWR Aromatic , which is highly aromatic

16. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Actually I was asking about the SWR Aromatic ;) Regular SWR is my favorite smoke. I Love it in all it's Burley glory :puffy:

I am curious about the Aromatic version. As long as it doesn't taste like vanilla or cherry I might like it. I'm not normally into aromatics though.
    I'll check out some reviews.

ruffinogold likes this.
  17. Robin

Robin Member

I got to smoke a couple of bowls of SWR this past weekend, and I can't see anything not to like about it, its very mild and smooth, no bite no burn. I would put it just below CH, and a good step ahead of PA as an all around everyday kind of smoke. I'll probably keep a pouch around for the sake of variety, its a nice basic smoke.

Ephraim likes this.
  18. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Glad you liked it.
    For me it's slightly above CH and way above PA (though I don't dislike PA by any means).
    Something about burley that hits the spot for me.

DakOOk, Robin and colorduke like this.
  19. Wildcat

Wildcat Active Member

Yup.

Robin and Ephraim like this.
  20. Robin

Robin Member

SWR, revisited: I bought another pouch of it yesterday, it is a fine smoke! Definitely worth keeping on hand.