TAD/Cellar Management

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Monkey, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Do you plan out your purchases and acquisitions or do you just go willy nilly and hope it all works out? Do you plan what to buy, how much to spend or both?

Who uses a spreadsheet or website and how helpful is that?

I am putting together my 2013 tobacco budget and it is looking pretty aggressive...but focused with set goals for my cellar as well as for me to try different things....but to keep it flexible enough to change slightly...but not flexible enough to run it right off the rails and crash in ten tubs of M79 (which I do like....but not 10 tube like)

2. krusty

krusty Active Member

I've a spreadsheet and do use the thing.
    Every container of baccy I own is listed with all blend details as well as dates specific to the container itself.
    Date cellared, opened and emptied allow me to determine rates of use and forecast future needs based on anything from specific blend to genre to individual components.

3. Goat

Goat Active Member

I just go willy Nilly. Order what I like, a few new ones to try, stuff that is recommended here, or whatever sounds good. No spread sheets or anything, just labels and dates.

RTOdhner, SidZiff and Mount Mandolin like this.
  4. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Same here. Then again, I've only been at this for a couple of years. I'm sure one day I'll go nuts with it. Thing is, I move a lot, so I don't tend to buy a huge variety right now, just large amounts of things I know I like. If I had as much tobacco as some of y'all I would need a semi truck and a forklift and a warehouse manager/supervisor to move it all. :)

RTOdhner likes this.
  5. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

^^^^
    This

6. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Both Willy and Nilly live here. For the longest time I would buy a tin at a time, smoke it until it was about gone and get something different. Then I started buying in bulk -- a pound at a time, smoke it until it was gone. Repeat. It's only been recently (OK, since I started hanging out here) that I ordered several different blends at once. Did that in modest quantities a couple of times, then with the last order I got on board. Ordered three pounds, got some Ball Dome jars and broke out the label maker. Each jar is labeled by name of blend and date. But that is as far as it goes. I'm about to place another order and will do the same thing. No spreadsheets, no tracking. I'll just have to count on Willy, Nilly and myself to do the best we can to enjoy the tobacco we have. :bing:

Bradabelko4 likes this.
  7. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Member

Well, my cellar is just blossoming. But I buy whatever pops into my mind when I go to order. Sometimes it's 2 tins, sometimes it's a pound combined of a few different bulks (Currently loving MacBaren 7 Seas Black). But I always label em with date and blend as stated already.

8. conroygc

conroygc Member

I try to follow a pretty strict budget. I set aside $20 a month for tobacco purchases, which is supplemented by doing some trade work with my local B&M (which is how I get most of my stuff, obviously!). I don't really plan what I'm going to buy. If I have enough money and I see something I want, I buy it.

I use tobaccocellar.com to keep track of all my baccy. I really like it, but it might be overkill for some people.

9. krusty

krusty Active Member

Good on you conroy. I was starting to believe I was the odd man out with respect to tracking and inventorying my cellar!

10. Goat

Goat Active Member

Hmmmm...... Just checked that web site out... Might have to give this a try...

11. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

I am setting goals per year as well as a budget. I haven't hit the spreadsheets yet...

But next year it is all tobacco. No pipe purchases.

12. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

Willy and Nilly must be clones because they live here too. I haven't ordered anything more than once yet. I'm still looking for my week day smoke, but my weekend smokes when I can just sit and enjoy them so far are mostly Lat blends.

13. highstump

highstump Active Member

I use it too but only as a way of keeping track of what have put away. I keep a spreadsheet that mirrors the website but no notes on anything. As far as the buy goes, mark me in the willy nilly crowd.

14. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Initially I bought a lot of tobaccos "willy-nilly" just trying to determine where my particular tastes and preferences were concerned.

Since then as I've discovered blends I really enjoy, I buy them with the intention of cellaring fairly large amounts for future use. I also use tobacco cellar.com as a means of keeping track of my purchases and tobaccos on my wish list.

It would be just as easy to keep a written journal as well; and I probably should as I honestly believe my Son will take up the pipe soon as he seems very inclined and interested. A hand written journal is like a recipe book for pipe smoking that can be passed on for years.

krusty likes this.
  15. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

A bit of both. Sometimes I have in mind what kinds of blends I don't have a lot of at the moment, such as full Englishes, and center my buying towards that, with the exact blend being almost secondary until I get to the store. Other times, if I'm going to a B&M that carries blenders I don't often see, I'll be more deliberate and plan a couple to buy with maybe another impulse buy to be decided upon in the store. And I've bought blends that I didn't have any previous interest in just because the tin had some age. Recently picked up one of McClelland Oriental #6, which had never really caught my eye, but the tin was from 2003. If nothing else, I figure I'll be trying it at its best.

16. physiognomy

physiognomy Member

Plan tobacco purchases? No, this hobby is supposed to be fun, isn't it?

I tend to buy whatever sounds good to me at the time. My purchases are based on what I generally like, but variety is what I really strive for. I guess I'm happy as long as I'm buying more than I smoke right now (isn't really that hard to do). There are several blends I'd like to taste with 10+ years of age, so I have put away a few tins to age.

I'm also a fan of www.tobaccocellar.com for keeping track of unopened tins. I consider jarred tobacco as 'open' since I will dip into them from time to time.

17. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

It is fun...but planning where my cellar goes is part of it. I want to lay down some serious weight of stuff I smoke all the time so J can enjoy it for years to come. I still will throw on a tin or an oz of something to try, but getting pounds stashed away is something that requires some thought.

Looks like I am going over ti Tobacco cellar now...

RTOdhner likes this.
  18. SalopSt

SalopSt Member

Add me to the Willy Nilly, which I find a little odd now that the question is asked: I use spreadsheets for pretty much everything. Perhaps as I become more seasoned a pipe smoker I will plan my purchases more, but as it stands it is all pretty easy to keep track of mentally as all my purchases have been within the last eight months... that and I have one stash in the UK, and another in the US. That aids to separation and clarification.

I can see have having a record would be interesting to look back on, so now I am motivated to trawl back through emails and see _when_ I made the purchases I have made.

RTOdhner likes this.
  19. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I smoke about four ounces per month, which comes out to 48 ounces/three pounds per year. I like MacB, Stokkebye, and C&D bulk blends, and a few select OTC's. I have been building a cellar/hoard at an average rate of 1.5 pounds per month since July 2011, and the only real strategy has been to focus on those blends that I smoke on a regular basis - the meat and taters as it were. I figure I've got about 10 years worth in the cellar/bunker, and it keeps growing. No spread sheets or anything that complex, just a plan to have at least three pounds or tubs of each of my favorite bulks and OTC's.

I've pretty much reached the point where I'm satisfied that I've got my basic smoking needs taken care of, and now I'm starting to branch into the tinned tobaccos. These are my "treat" blends, and I guess that the tin wing of the cellar is the true cellar and not just a stockpile, since I'm really selective about these and I stock them with an eye for aging . Still no spread sheet, though.

Monkey likes this.
  20. phinz

phinz Active Member

I buy whatever I please, but I keep all my tobacco in tobaccocellar.com. That way I know what the heck I have. I still have yet to enter the bulks, but you can click on my signature for my current tin supply (minus the 5 vintage ones that came in the mail last week).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.