TAD slightly satisfied

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BradNTX, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I don't know if TAD can ever be satisified, but...

I just ordered some tins from my wish list last night:

GLP- Fillmore x 1
    GLP- Key Largo x 1
    Solani- Aged Burley Flake x 1
    McClellan- Blackwoods Flake x 1
    Sillems- Black x 2

I also have a couple of trades pending with PSF members, so am getting super stoked! These will all be a first time for me. The ones I like, I'll order more before year end.

2. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Nice order Brad! I find TAD satisfaction is short lived, especially if you find yourself with a few $ in your pocket.

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Nice variety there Brad! No, there is no cure........ just momentary "lulls" in the activity. You done good! :thumbsu:

:eek:hyeah:
    Ed Puff!

4. BradNTX

I love coming home to a little box on the doorstep. I'm hoping for a couple more tomorrow, so I can combine ingredients for a wonderful evening.

[attachment=862:TAD order July.JPG]

5. commonsenseman

commonsenseman Member

Mmmm......ABF!

6. BradNTX

My MM Diplomat & Walker stem came in today. My tobacco from the list above came in yesterday. Which do I open and try first?

7. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Toss a coin.......close your eyes.....whatever....but get on with it!

8. Puff The Magic

You mean to tell us that you didn't open any of them????? Where are your priorities man??? Get 'em going! Let 'em breathe so you'll be locked and cocked for a nice "load up". I'd have been so curious to see, touch, and smell the new toby! Get to work Brad! We're waiting........... :wave:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!

9. BradNTX

I just got my cob today, so couldn't smoke them last night (my other pipes are dedicated). I did sniff the Sillem's Black since the tin wasn't sealed and the baccy is only in a celophane wrapper. It smelled wonderful.

I think I'll go for the ABF first tonight and smoke another bowl tomorrow at lunch.

Fillmore on Saturday & Sunday. Blackwoods Monday & Thursday. Black next Friday & Saturday and finish with Key Largo after that. OK, I'm going to pop the ABF open now.

10. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Now that's progress!

11. Puff The Magic

Now y'er talkin'! Sounds like a dam'd good plan! Rock On!

Ed Puff!

12. BradNTX

The little Sillem tin is smaller than anything I've purchased before, size-wise. It does have a heftiness to it for it size, though. The flakes were thick and moist. I gave them a sniff and was surprised by a citrisy wang. I was a little worried about that, since I don't care for anything citris with tobacco, but I pressed on, since ABF has so many good reviews.

I crumble a flake into the tin lid and let it sit for an hour. It was good timing. The family came home from a 3 day trip to my parents house. I packed my new cob, and my wife sat outside with me while the kids played. I lit the top and crusted it over. The flavor was not citrisy in the least. I packed it down, and relit. I was rewarded with a sweet, delicate flavor. Not full, but not lite either. It has a medium strength, but no harshness. After my last experience with Burley Light bulk tobacco, I was very happy with Sillem's ABF.

I'll be adding that to my next bulk order list. Thanks guys for the advice and the recommendations.

13. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Brad I'n only calling you out because I can :velho:

I believe you meant Solani ABF, Sillem's offerings are black, red, etc...

14. BradNTX

Yes, you are correct. I was so giddy with new tins and a new cob to smoke em in, I mixed it up.

I packed my cob with a bowl of Solani ABF this morning and put it in the cup holder of my truck. It's cloudy today, so I'm not expecting 100 degree cab temps, but maybe a little drying time.

15. BradNTX

I forgot to add a recount of the conversation with the wife last night. I wasn't sure how the expenditures this week would go over.

Wife: What's that pipe?
    Me: Oh, it's a cob I ordered Monday.

Wife: Hmmm. That tobacco smells different too...
    Me: Yes, it's a new one as well called Solani ABF. I like it.

Wife: It does smell good. So, what else did you buy.
    Me: Uh, maybe a few other tins.

Wife: I don't mind, you've been working hard.

I wasn't expecting that one. I'm hoping I get the same reaction next month when I order some more bulk.

16. BradNTX

Solani ABF is now on the bulk order list. If one of my secretly ordered pipes comes in, I may even dedicate it to that, since I don't have any other Burley I've found. I'm appreciative of the suggestions and advice I've received that gave me the gumption to order it.

Next up is the Filmore tomorrow. :cheers:

17. BradNTX

Just rubbed out a flake of ABF and loaded my cob. It rained heavy for a few hours this afternoon, so the temperature is nice this evening.

I did smoke a bowl of Blackwoods, but thought it tasted like smoking BBQ sauce. I like BBQ sauce, but it was a little strange. I think after reading some comments about it, I will put the tin in my cabinet and let it sit for 5-6 months. Hopefully it will mellow out by then.

I may be able to get off the ABF long enough to try the Sillem's Black tomorrow.

:chair:

18. BradNTX

I smoked a bowl of Sillem's Black tonight. Interesting stuff. I liked it better than Blackwoods Flake, but not sure I would put it in the top ten list. I'll smoke it again for sure, but doubt it will be a weekly habit.

Still have GLP Key Largo and the Altadis Maple & Rum. Filmore was backordered, so can't try that one for a couple of weeks.

19. BradNTX

I had to stop by a Mercedes dealership to order a key for a car being sold at work. Just down the street a block was a B&M called Club Humidor. I'd heard they were under new management and the new owner is into pipes & pipe tobacco, and supposedly increased inventory of both.

I stopped in and was pleasantly surprised by a large selection of bulk blends and more tins offered than the last time I was in a year or so ago. I picked up a tin of Peterson's Irish Oak and some bulk, "Texas Ranger" and "Gentleman's Blend". The first is an aro and the later an English that smells a lot like Special Blend from The Tinderbox.

I think I've gone off my rocker with tobacco purchases. :velho: :crazy:

20. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'd think the BBQ flavor you tasted is the Red Vir. I don't think putting it up will make to much diff. Those red virs they use [ and are known for ] stick around though they might mello . I've smoked " cellared " McC blends and have tasted it as well so I'm not sure. Personally , I don't care for it so I guess I'll taste the hell out of it no matter what

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.