Talk me out of PAD

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Tyler Lad, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

I have 2 cobs currently, and I should be happy with them but I was looking around the internet and saw these:
    http://www.meerschaum.com/Artwork-Standard.aspx?Page=1

So beautiful.... :eek:
    I have my eye on the Dionysus-carved Meerschaum at the bottom of the page there.
    I've been reading and apparently meerschaum changes colors as it ages with use. Sounds awesome, actually.

So I have two requests from you fine fella's:

-What do you think about Meerschaum, in honest review (are the pipes on this page cheap for a reason, can I trust 'em?)

-Tell me all the bad stuff you can about Meerschaum! I don't need to developing pad right now, hehe

2. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

I love my meer, the only downside to meers is that they are more fragile than other pipes.
    They don't require any breaking in or as long a rest period as briars.
    As for the quality of those meers I don't know.

3. Albert

Albert Active Member

you're asking the wrong folks to talk you out of a meer. or anything for that matter :xd:

JimInks, Arkie, Monkey and 1 other person like this.
  4. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Some people love meers; my experiences have been mostly bad.

The meers I have owned have come to me as gifts or as compensation for pipe-work. That being said, they were all from unknown or lesser known producers (*cheap), and all suffered from poor mechanics. I recently smoked an IMP meer from a PSF'er and it was a much better smoke than any of the meers I have owned, but it was still not all that I had hoped. The meer looked sound mechanically, and I'm sure that I am (at least) partially to blame, but I couldn't get an even burn in that pipe.

So, my advice is this:
    IF you are going to get into meers, don't get a cheap one (especially before inspecting it in hand). What good is a pretty pipe that gurgles and is drilled sidways? I have not given up on meers, but I have decided when I get a meer, I'll get a Baki.

Artful Dodger likes this.
  5. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

That's some good points!
    ...I might be paying for artwork if I were to buy one of these.

6. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

I have one meer that I love to smoke, and another on the way. I took the advice here and got an IMP as my first, and am very glad I did. It is my favorite pipe. That being said, I do have to adjust my smoking technique with it because it does have a more restricted draw. It will gurgle if I'm not paying attention. I've gotten used to it though, and it doesn't happen very often any more.

I did look at that website when I was looking for my first meer, but decided to get an IMP or Altinook because of recommendations here. They have a much much better reputation. I wanted to get the best meer I could as my first. I figured I could gamble after I knew how good they can be. Smoking pipes dot com has IMP for pretty good prices. I got mine from them.

If you want a near meer experience, try a Missouri Pride corn cob. In my experience they smoke closer to a meer than any of my other pipes.

Tyler Lad likes this.
  7. Goat

Goat Active Member

You can also find some great high quality meers at altinok.com
    He's actually a member here. Great customer service and quality stuff.
    Open your wallet, spend some coin and get a good one.

8. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

If I were you I would get a meerschaum with a reputation for smokability. Why gamble on an unknown? I read the customer reviews page on that site and nobody raved about the draw or the engineering. All I saw was 'smokes well' and other mediocre descriptions.
    But maybe someone here has one and can recommend it.

9. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

Thanks a lot for that Skrymr,
    I'm not ready for the $100+ jump for a pipe yet; I'll buy an IMP/Altinook Meerschaum after I've tried a good briar and have settled down more in my pipe-smoking and I'm ready for something more.... aristocratic?

10. Goat

Goat Active Member

What???? Wait????
    Your talking about PAD.... There's no waiting in PAD.:ohyh:

JimInks, Spillproof and Tyler Lad like this.
  11. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

Hah! Must mean I avoided the terrible disease before it struck.

Spillproof likes this.
  12. Albert

Albert Active Member

you had symptoms though....catching it early is the key.

13. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Spillproof likes this.
  14. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

You'll get no sympathy here! Every man for himself!

AussieTX likes this.
  15. Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger Member

I have to agree. If you are going to get into meers, don't get a cheap one. Better to save your money and go for quality. I have a simple IMP pickaxe and it is a good smoker.
    Advantages: Requires less rest-smokes cool and dry
    Disadvantages: More expensive for a decent one (beware of low-priced "pretty" meers. They are usually crap)-Fragile as hell! Don't go tossing it down or bumping it. You also don't want to develop a cake.
    Personal opinion: Now, some people absolutely LOVE meers. I think they are "ok". It is one of those things that depends on the person and their individual tastes. You might want to try haunting your local brick and mortar tobacco shop and get a quality estate. Personally, I would rather smoke something that I can put down. I don't clench, since I prefer to scratch a pipe than pay for dental work, and I like something that I can put down without worrying that it will fall and crack in two.
    Final Recommendation: Give it a try, but don't go on looks alone. Read the reviews and go for quality. That's my opinion (for what it's worth).

Tyler Lad likes this.
  16. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

It is much easier to get an inferior smoke from a meerschaum than from a briar. A $45 briar should smoke well enough, a $45 meer is likely to be much less than good. $45 meerschaum pipes have turned more people off meerschaum than you or I can even imagine. To this day, some people can't believe I can get a good smoke from a meer because their past experiences have been so bad. "You get what you pay for" is very true with meerschaum.

Get something you want now (a briar you've been drooling over) and then save up for a nice IMP meerschaum. They are the least expensive high quality meerschaums around. Baki and Altinok also make wonderful meerschaums at a higher price point (usually deservedly so).

MikeInMaine and Tyler Lad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.