TALLY HO!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Tally Ho was an expression originally used by British gentry during a fox hunt to announce that the critter had been sighted and that the chase was on. It has since been adopted by RAF fighter/fighter-bomber/interceptor pilots to advise that the target had been sighted and they are going in for the kill. (For all I know, the fox hunting crowd still uses it).

Today I got a package in the mail. Contained within was a tin of Squadron Leader with that trademark RAF bi-wing fighter. "Tally Ho" seemed like an appropriate title for this post, and I think I'm going to pop the lid tonight. I'd like to say that I'm going to save it for 7/4/11, but I'm not so sure I'm going to be able to hold off on smoking it for that long. I've never tried it, but if just half the rumors of it's fabled goodness be true, then this is one awesome smoke indeed. Also included was two ounces of Walnut and two ounces of Sugar Barrel. Walnut is an old time favorite of mine. I've never tried Sugar Barrel, but it has this wonderful maple sryup aroma oozing from the baggie, and it's making me crave a waffle something fierce.

Anyway, I've caved and I'm going to pope the lid on the SL right now. Tally Ho!...

Oh sweet orient! This smells just wonderful, and the orientals are dancing for my olfactory senses. Break out the Pete Sherlock Holmes original, and fill 'er up. Nicely dried toby here, with a wonderful rainbow of light, dark, and medium brown baccies. Black Latakia as well. Fire in the hole!

Tally-by Gawd-Ho! If you haven't tried this yet but are thinking about ordering some and are hoping that the Latakia mule is gong to kick you in the head, then look else where because Latakia is not what makes this blend shine. However, if you like the focus on fine Virginnies, supported by a healthy dose of wonderful Orientals, and all of it illuminated with a moderate splash of top-notch Latakia, then this is your baby. Sweet mother of pearl, this is good.

And all of this on my first bowl. I can't wait to see how much better it gets (and for me, good toby always seems to get better with successive smokes). This has lived up to every rave review or glowing opinion of it that I've ever come across, and I agree that it really is "the most English of any English blend."

Thanks much, ddandb!

albot9 likes this.

2. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

OK RTO....don't hold back on our account. Tell us what you REALLY think!
    Yep...good stuff McDuff!

3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I'm glad you got to try it, RTO. Anyone who has read a few of my posts knows that I am ape-sh*t for the stuff, so I love to share in other people's first experiences with it. I have tried many English blends, including the old Standard Mixture Medium, and nothing in my experience compares to Squadron Leader for taste, balance, and complexity. As you say, the Latakia is not the star of this show, and SL makes many Lat-heavy blends look sad for calling themselves "English".

Happy to hear that you are enjoying it. Thanks to ddandb for initiating another member of the squadron.

Herb

4. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Glad to see you discovered a new source of joy ;)

Still waiting for those lazyass canadian postal workers to ship me mine.. I shall have patience. I shall.

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

You popped a tin and found dried SL??? Wow....just wow.

Glad you like it....just remember your number in line, cuz their is a bunch of blokes in front of you...:)

6. RTOdhner

Yes, it was dry. Not like straw or anything, but perfect for smoking.

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I'm with Kyle: dry is rare. It's usually sopping wet, so before I read the rest of your original post, I was going to suggest opening it now and smoking it on the 4th. I have a tin of Skiff I popped about a month ago, and it's still too damp to smoke without letting it sit (some of those tins hold moisture better than others).

8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Hmm... I still have a recently gifted tin unopened in my cabinet. I believe you have planted the seed for a July 4 opening. ;)

9. RTOdhner

I'm gonna wager you won't be disappointed. This is something I'm gonna cellar, if I can ever find any. Pete Old Dublin was my favorite English blend, but SL has unseated it. I think that OD has a bolder flavor, and it has a traditional English room noted that elicits an edict of "Please smoke that stuff outside" from the wife. SL has a more refined flavor, and it has a room note that my wife finds "manly" and "sexy." If I want what I think has a really robust English character and I want to smoke it outside, then OD gets the nod. However, I find OD to be just a bit much for smoking on a regular basis, and summer-time in Texas is not really conducive to out of doors smoking.

SL gets the top dog seat in my pantheon of English blends because I think it has a better all around character and I can smoke it indoors without evoking The Wrath of Mom. Plus it has a tin note that is just superb.

10. BradNTX

:eek:

Gee, I might have to pop the tin & smoke a bowl tonight! :ohyh:

ps
    Working my way though my summer '11 gifted & traded toby blends. It's been pretty fun. I've tried 8 of 23 blends so far. Gues I better get to puffin if I expect to finish by the end of summer.

11. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

.....alas! - like smoking our pipes in the village Inn, hunting foxes with horse and hounds has now been banned!....where will it all end?:(

12. RTOdhner

Bunch of Bolshevik horse crap is what it is! It will never end, because the "do gooders" are always going to find some new evil to save the rest of us from. That's a big part of the reason why I'm starting to cellar.

13. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

“If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life.”
    – Henry David Thoreau

RTOdhner and BradNTX like this.
  14. BradNTX

Haha, unless he's the UPS man delivering a box full of new tobacco and pipes! :ohyh:

Otherwise... I get what you're saying. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.