Tastes like smoke

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by buistd, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Active Member

Hi there - I just had 8 days away from smoking - the longest I have been since June last year. I decided to take a little breather as I was smoking more than I would have liked and had started to feel a nicotine addiction coming into play. My first smoke was some McClelland 2015, kindly sent by Prole. It tasted of... smoke - not the latakia kind of smoke taste - just plain old smoke - and not the MacBaren Roll Cake plain old smoke taste! None of the usual Virginia flavours and perique spice I would have expected. I thought it was maybe just unfamiliarity with a blend I had never smoked before. So, I just smoked some C&D Three Friars - again not a blend I am hugely familiar with but something I greatly enjoyed a couple of weeks ago. Whilst I did get some of those familiar tobacco flavours, the predominant taste was smoke (again not the latakia kind of smoke taste - just plain old smoke - and not the MacBaren Roll Cake plain old smoke taste!)

Has anyone else found this? I would have thought that a break from smoking would have refreshed my taste buds but instead it seems to have taken me back to my early days of smoking when I was unable to identify the tobacco flavours.

2. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

On the second pipe it could have been residule from the first pipe since you did get some of the flavors. On the first pipe, I'm not sure. Was the tobacco too dry, did you puff a lot?

3. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

I don't ever get a lot of flavor from McCelland or C&D blends. Mostly, they just taste like smoke to me regardless of the conditions. No offense intended to McC and C&D fans.

4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I experience the same thing
    With C&D blends. Just a dull
    smoke taste. C&D and I
    Don't play together well.

5. Jay

Jay Active Member

Some tobacco's do this to me. Try something you really like and see if it still happens. If it does, quit smoking and donate your stash to PSF.

Chriss likes this.
  6. Morse

Morse Active Member

I have found the opposite after ive been away for a few days - i do experience what you described if I overdo it on the puffing though

7. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

If they are not giving you any joy, shelve them and come back to them in six months. Tastes can change. Of course, it might also be your chemistry not jiving with those blends. That is quite possible. Most burley-heavy blends taste of dirt to me.

8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....why not just reduce your smoking - when thoughts like this occur?, I have stopped smoking for periods like this ( and longer ) but usually in times of illness. Smoking a pipe ( I still can't call it a hobby! ) should be an uncomplicated, easy indulgence, and if facing regular 'dilemas' - I would probably decide that it was not for me, and either quit smoking altogether, or just enjoy the occasional cigar. But having said that - if it was uncomplicated, and laid-back for the majority, places like this would not exist! ;). Regarding your lack of flavour issue - I too have experienced this with some of the blends mentioned in this thread, and similar ones from similar sources.....the fact is very few can compare in this regard to what is available in your local supermarket! ( I think you are a British resident? ) - that's why they are held in such high regard, in far-off places!.
    Good luck with your 'piping', OT:)

Old Codger and Stonewall like this.
  9. SteveH

SteveH Active Member

Some pipes are flavour-killers from the outset, like my Peterson system, and some turn into flavour-killers, as did my Invicta Rhodesian. Could your pipe have done so too? If so, it can be revived. I've never tried the fabled salt-and-alcohol method, but I revived my Rho by reaming it right back to the wood, cleaning the shank and stem thoroughly with a few pipe-cleaners, one of which I left in overnight, and cleaning out the mortise in the shank, which had got a bit gungy. It now smokes very well again, and is my Latakia pipe since yesterday, when I decided to dedicate it. (This, of course, is assuming you used the same pipe for both smokes.)

10. buistd

buistd Active Member

Thanks all for your interesting replies. I am sure that this is not a really big issue. I really wasn't expecting so much interest in this thread to be honest. I am sure that the problem was just getting out of the swing of things. I should have also mentioned that I found he sensation of smoking quite weird as well. Interesting that all this should happen after only a little over a week away from smoking.

11. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I had a similar experience with Penzance smoked from two briars in my collection. I just couldn't get any flavor from the tobacco. Until I smoked it in a clay.

12. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

.....in that case I would definitely give it up! - a few more weeks and you'll wonder why you ever bothered!, and think of the money you will save! :th1:
    OT

13. buistd

buistd Active Member

I have no intention of giving up - far too pleasurable a hobby. I just need to smoke my way back into the game! Now, where's that Condor......

Snake likes this.
  14. Chriss

Chriss Member

here's an idea !!

When I started pipe smoking ( LOL yeah like a month ago so take this lightly!!) My first ever tobacco was captain black (blue). From memory it was my FAVORITE to date. Then I joined PSF and tried CH, Nightcap, some local stuff from blatter and blatter and a few others. Yesterday I picked up some captain black (white) remembering how much I loved CB last time I had some. But so far im finding its taste isnt as much as memory served !! It bites more then I like and maybe the room note is really what got me to like this tobacco after all!!

I know sometimes when you expect a certain level of flavor ( just as I did when I bought this new CB) they just don't meet your memory( or expectations) !!

15. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

possibly i am in a minority here, but "tobacco flavor" is what i look for in any blend--that's likely the reason my favorite blending house is C&D--their tobaccos taste like,...... well; tobacco--and that translates to smoke--
    OJK, HB. MB, and BnB are really hard to beat if the flavor of tobacco is what you seek--

smokinjoe likes this.
  16. smokinjoe

smokinjoe Member

Stop smoking? That would be impossible for me ! I like what white briar said as well. I like regular non aromatic heavy smoke. I wished I could say something bad about smoking. booo on smoking.:banana:

whitebriar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.