That "aro" taste

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by dwaugh, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I've noticed that most aromatic blends I've tried have a certain taste in common. I've always associated that taste with the propylene glycol (added as a humectant). I know that glycerin is also used as a humectant in tobacco; and glycerin is also (according to Wikipedia) used as a sweetener in some foods. I got to wondering if glycerin is used in most aromatics to give them that sweet taste. I finally tried an e-cig, which was made with propylene glycol and it did NOT have that same "aro taste". There are certainly blends that have some kind of humectant added like PA, CH, and SWR, but they do not have what am calling the "aro taste". Then there are aromatics like Erinmore, Condor, and Firedance that do not have that "aro taste" (to me). I guess I'm wondering if other people have noticed this? It seems to me that most aros are laced with something, other than the intended flavor (cherry, maple etc.) that gives them a common taste. I wonder if it is glycerin rather than propylene glycol?

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Could be glycerin. Or it could be the excess moisture that is caused by the flavoring agent. Or it could be the flavoring agent burning off and exposing not-so-wonderful-quality tobacco underneath.

Any specific blends you're referring to?

3. dwaugh

I noticed it in almost every aro I have tried. 1Q, SWRA, I can't think of the others of the top of my head, but maybe 4 or 5 others. Some component of it has to be the propylene glycol or glycerin, the smell and taste is much like that of a smoke machine (which I think often use both propylene glycol or glycerin).

Old Codger likes this.
  4. dwaugh

So others have not noticed this "aro" taste that I'm talking about?

5. buistd

buistd Active Member

I know what you mean. I'm not a very regular aromatic smoker but I do definitely find a commonality. Couldn't begin to tell you what it is though. Incidentally, you're nearly at 5000 posts. Not sure if you noticed that or not!

dwaugh likes this.
  6. Goat

Goat Active Member

Can't help ya hear Dwaugh.... Never been much into Aro's and am still learning how to smoke them. I have some Peterson's Luxury blend and Conniesiours (I don's know how to spell that) blend. Both of them have great tin notes but they still bite the hell out of me.

dwaugh likes this.
  7. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

The few aro's I've tried, I've noticed it. (not a big aro fan, but there's gotta be one out there I would like, right?)

dwaugh likes this.
  8. Spam

Spam Member

I've noticed it in SWRA and a Sutliff aro I've had, but I never gave it any thought until now. Requires further investigation, me thinks... :snork:

dwaugh likes this.
  9. raf66

raf66 Member

I've never really noticed what you're talking about, but that's probably because I don't smoke aros much. In fact, when I did smoke 'em, what I remember most is that I could find no discernible taste at all. This is one of the main reasons why I went to non-aros.

10. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

I think I know what you're getting at. I had always assumed it was related to the presence of cavendish-treated leaf in the blends, but it could be a chemical additive.

dwaugh and Stormy like this.
  11. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Me too, I always just thought it was the cavendish in them.

dwaugh and Stormy like this.
  12. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Hi David,
    I notice it in almost all aro's and many OTC's that are not considered an out and out aro. I will say this though, I have had the good fortune to smoke a few OTC's from the 1940's that did not have that "off" scent or flavor. So it is something that is being added today that was not used then.

Paul

dwaugh likes this.
  13. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Yah, I've noticed it in nearly all the American OTCs and bulk blends which is why I generally prefer the European stuff.

dwaugh likes this.
  14. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

There are some aromatics out there that do nothing other than create an instant need to go and brush my teeth. I suspect that reaction is due to some additive or other. The only aromatics currently on the shelf are 2 from 4noggins and the Petersons. Those tobaccos all benefit from being kept in jars with air being from a third to half by volume.
    Just to clarify a little. Neither the 4noggins or Petersons have that weird chemical taste in the first place.

dwaugh and FlatbushPaul like this.
  15. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

It's gotta be some sort of preservative if it's in the U.S stuff and not the Euro blends.

dwaugh and FlatbushPaul like this.
  16. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I get exactly what you're talking about, more strongly in the 1Q or Captain Black types, less but still there in even the usual OTC's, CH, PA, SWRA. My thought is that it is a humectant, maybe a preservative. The flavor may not show up in an e-cig because of the lack of combustion... Higher quality aro's either have less of it, or have more flavor to cause it not to be so noticeable for me. Sometimes I think I pick up just a touch of that same flavor in some of the loose, bulk blends too. (PS)

dwaugh likes this.
  17. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I think it depends on the maker . Imo , just about every Lane Bulk has something that tastes the same in almost each of their aro blends . Edwards aro blends all have a flavor in them that is about the same . Some of the Sutliff aros have a similar taste in their aros but not all . Altadis has mulitiple cavendish bulk aros that they put in groups , which I think are groups of base blend and then variations of flavors on that base . In defence of American Styled Aromatics .. a majority of them smoke much cooler compared to their German / Nordic counterparts . I think the Germans and Nordics have some great aro flavors but the heat index is much higher than the American stuff . I have found that to be very strange here at PSF . A blend like Petersons Sunset Breeze or Nutty Cut [ both good blends ] are warm smokers , whereas many bulk American Style Aros smoke very much cooler , but all I hear is Petersons is good and wonderfull but the Bulk Aro is yucky and hot , which honestly makes me think some people havent smoked an American style aro but are just going along w/ the ' trend " of snobbery toward them . I like to use the cheap ass SP Black Cavendish as an example ... it smokes near cold . Petersons , Peter Heinrich , Planta , Wo Larsen and others ... all of their aros smoke way warmer than the cheap old SP Black Cav and a bazillion blends like it . Are there some hot smokin American style Aros ... yup , but a majority arent . That was a rant .. anyway , there are flavors that are similar in a makers line , as far as the aros go . But not always

Jussto and dwaugh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.