The Balkan Sobraine

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Xecutech, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xecutech

Xecutech Member

Enough, but I could always employ some homeless guys to go in and shop for me if need be. :)

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

That's only because the name is the proverbial 800 pound gorilla and demand is currently high. Things will settle down and you'll be able to find it with no problem. The same thing happened when Dunhill came back to the U.S.

3. Jammer

Jammer Active Member

IMHO, if the JF Germain version becomes even remotely popular, and given the name and history of the blend, it'll go the way of other popular JF Germain products... remember, JF Germain ain't no Orlik, they can't keep up with demand like the latter can with the Dunhills.

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Neither can JF Germain.

5. Jammer

Jammer Active Member

Uhh, yeah... not enough coffee. :laff:

Dondi likes this.
  6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I don't want to start beating this dead horse again, well, yes I do, but it really ticks me off that this stuff in the BS can will probably be pushed out the door to the point of fouling up shipments of Special Latakia Flake and Brown Flake, not to mention any and all SH blends.

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Count on it. The purchase of a name like Balkan Sobranie would require the bulk of the buyers attention, IMHO.

8. Xecutech

Xecutech Member

I've never smoked the original, but would love to have some to compare. With that said, if it's remotely close to the original, this new edition can stand on its own. I believe it's that good.

Anyway, my original question was if there were other popular, hard to locate, blends I should be on the lookout for? I seem to keep getting lucky finding them, and the hunt makes it fun for me. Then it's a special treat if I find that I love the blend.

9. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

GL Pease Bohemian Scandal

10. Xecutech

Xecutech Member

That one will be challenging dondi. Lol

11. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Oh nooooo...Dondi you did it again....
    Another 1 to the TAD list!
    <sigh>

12. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

I have two tins of Bohemian Scandal and one of the original Balkan sobranie....NOT for sale! LOL Another "collector" blend would be GLP Tribute....issued in limited quantities to commemorate the tragedy of September 11th, 2001. I opened my last, ten year old tin, last September.

Comparing 10-20 y/o tobacco to a fresh new blend is like comparing apples to oranges....can't be done. I think it's about time we as pipers quit trying, and start evaluating a blend on its own merit. 1999 SB an 2012 SB are two different and unique blends. Treat them as such, and enjoy!

13. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Well said T!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.