1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

The benefits of being a pipe smoker in southern New Hampshire, plus a question

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Steve Dennis, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

Hopefully I am posting this in the right section, if not I apologize but I do have a pipe related question so I thought this would be the best place to post this.
    From what I have read so far it seems that many pipe smokers have little to no access to tobacco shops in the vicinity to their homes, but that is the one benefit to being a pipe smoker in southern New Hampshire. Looking to escape the over taxed state of Massachusetts when it comes to tobacco many tobacco shops have relocated to southern New Hampshire. I have counted six tobacco shops within 15 minutes of my house and two more loacated within a 45 minute drive, I have plenty of options because even though most of these B&Ms cater to cigar smokers there is a wide variety of tins available to the pipe smoker, and two of the B&Ms actually carry a wide variety of pipes. Lucky me!
    This leads me to my question: One shop in particular has a great selection of Peterson pipes, and there are some real beauties which have caught my eye, but there is one problem. While the briar on these pipes are stunning, and I probably would have already added one to my meager collection, the stems are dull and slightly miscolored. This leads me to believe they have been hanging around for awhile and have dulled over time, and I was wondering if it was a major project to make these stems shine again if I did buy one. I do not have access to a buffing wheel and was wondering if there was another trick to making these stems look like new.

David Emond likes this.

2. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

you can get stem polish for a few bucks nothing major and it would bring back some life into your stem. Also you can get a new stem for around 20$ no big deal :) if they have been there for a long time try to deal with the owner :)

ol gto likes this.
  3. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I've bought new pipes whose stems were black and shiny, then after some months become discolored and dull. Like David says, it's no big deal, just a natural oxidation process which affects stems made from vulcanite. It doesn't happen to stems made from lucite.

To clean up the stems, I just use a dry cloth and toothpaste to buff the stems. Rinse well, then finish up with a thin coat of olive oil.

4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

A little elbow grease and a mild abrasive, like toothpaste as Dondi recommends, will do wonders. Once you're done, I've heard some really good things about Obsidian Pipe Stem Oil as a way to keep the oxidation from returning. Search for it on smokingpipes.com.

IrishRover, ol gto and David Emond like this.
  5. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

What fun! Lots of options for tobacco, and quite the opportunity to grind the guy with the Petersons. Either he drops the price because of the stem, or make him buff it before you buy it.

IrishRover, jpberg and dwaugh like this.
  6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Zactly. If it's any kind of pipe shop, you should get that stem polished before you leave.

7. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I've used the toothpast trick - Sensodyne, a very mild abrasive for a quick buff. Some say not to use the oil because of bacteria but, I haven't had any trouble with that. -Yet.

8. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

Great advice, thanks! I just might have to pull the trigger on one of these now that I know it isn't a big problem. It is going to be a couple of weeks before I will have the money saved up unless I am able to talk him down a little bit.

9. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Southern New Hampshire sounds like a nice place. :puffy:

10. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I've never been in a pipe store that didn't have a buffer in the back room. If you've found one that doesn't, a little rubbing compound on a cloth will fix you up. Or, as mentioned above, toothpaste. Walker Briar has a nice two-part kit-- one for polish, one for wax. You'll probably want to have something like that around if you ever get into buying used pipes.

If you have an electric drill, you can get a buffing wheel for it that will do nicely. That's what I use, with a smear of the aforementioned Walker's compound.

SouthBound likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.