1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

The best pipe I'll ever own

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by jpberg, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Oh yes definitely. Everyone knows that oil curing (*minimum of 11 years immersion in hand-pressed virgin oil) is the new (old) direction all Sas pipes will be heading... He just needs about 11 years.

Basil Meadows and PipeLotus like this.

2. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Just spray the bowl with a little peanut oil before you ship Sas... it'll cure by the time they receive it... :laff:

Basil Meadows likes this.
  3. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I wonder what would happen if you put a pipe in an old-timey pressure cooker submerged in oil? Lumber companies pressure treat wood every day.

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I've been waiting for you.

And yes, I should post a pic of the other one, maybe the prettiest pipe I ever laid eyes on. Tasted like poo and was weeping buckets of oil. As bad as this one is good, and all the more painful because it was so beautiful.

Spillproof likes this.
  5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

For everyone wondering, you can find the Dunhill patent online:

http://www.folloder.com/pdf/1341418.pdf

A careful read shows you that Alfred believed that you got a harder briar out of it and a better smoking pipe. The process amounted to soaking the stummels in an oil mixture - olive oil is mentioned by name, and "mineral oils" are mentioned, and then heating and curing the oil, getting it mostly to weep out of the pores of the wood or harden up (removing the residue is how sandblasting comes into the picture - presto, the Shell Briar).

As far as I can tell, you have a basic choice of oils, hardening or non hardening, and what you want to do is put oil "through" the pipe, and extract it. It will leave behind a slight oily taste, for sure, and claims that oil cured stummels are lighter are based, as far as I can tell, on the extensive heated drying they receive - no moisture in the wood. As far as oil taking anything bad out of the briar, as far as I could tell, it never did. But I buy pretty clean briar to start with.

At best, it adds a nice flavor and consistency of smoking to a pipe. But it won't make a bad pipe good.

Jammer and Mount Mandolin like this.
  6. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I was once told that oil curing's positive effects were pretty much null and void once you had a cake built up in the bowl due to the fact that the oil cured wood no longer has much too do with it. But I could have just gotten bad advice. :cfsd:

7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

My limited experience would say that you got bad advice. Yes, the bowl gets some cake, but the rest of the airway doesn't. I would know this pipe's taste blindfolded, it's never gone away.

All that being said, I have a few oil cured Radices that have never exhibited unique "taste". It's black magic and phase of the moon stuff, This hunk of briar got cooked in this oil for this amount of time, and then got baked out at this temperature for this amount of time.

That's what makes this one magic, and the other that Todd talked about a turd.

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Oh, and also, changing from flax seed oil to skunk juice - that seemed to have a negative effect on taste as well.

Basil Meadows and dwaugh like this.
  9. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Flax seed oil, huh? Man, that stuff is magic. I learn new cool things about it all the time. I like to grind it up into a powder and put it in my peanut butter and yogurt and other stuff. Great for smoothies too. Apparently, it's also great for pipes! Who knew?

Spillproof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.