The blend I'm looking for...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by GregL, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregL

GregL Member

I took up the pipe in hopes of finding the pipe tobacco whose room note I recall from when I was a kid. No one in my family that I can recall smoked a pipe but certainly I was around other older men who did. I'm 43 now so I'm thinking back to the 1970's. I'm sure the blend was a bulk and had no name or 1,000 different names depending on the B&M from which it came. It had a rich, pleasant room note with maybe a hint of vanilla, or maybe not. I know it when I smell it and the only way, really, that I can describe it is "old time pipe". I wouldn't have any way to know of what it consisted but if I had to guess it probably involved Burley, VA, and cavendish and/or black cavendish.

I'm guessing some of the older fellas around here, maybe 60+ years of age will know what I'm referring to. When I smell it I think of both old, retired guys as well as 1940's movies.

Make sense? Any ideas?

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Not me!....could be one of a thousand:msty: but I suspect that as is usual in threads like this - we will now have three or four pages of tobacco names, but no one will be any the wiser at the end!:byg:

3. GregL

GregL Member

Exactly, Ted! That's why I said, "it has no name or a thousand names". :msty:

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

so there can be no definitive answer to your question then?.......(unless maybe you are willing to sample dozens of blends! :rolleyes:)

5. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

I'm game to sample dozens of blends! That's half the fun in this hobby :D

To the Op, I would probably try lane 1q and or carter hall. As far as i can tell those are the two most popular bulks with good scents.

Hawkwood and GregL like this.
  6. GregL

GregL Member

Oh, I'm sure that there is an answer (or at least there was) but whether or not that answer will ever be known is an entirely different matter.

For example, perhaps the ultimate answer to my question is, hypothetically (although I know it isn't) "Lane 1-Q". How many different names have been attached to 1-Q by virtue of it being a bulk sold specifically for Tobacconists to re-name under a house label? So, I could get 50 or 100 or 500 different names all referring to the same one thing.

Then again, maybe the blend of which I remember so fondly was a proprietary recipe blended in-house at a now-defunct local tobacconist here in my hometown that is now gone forever. But, perhaps that recipe was a fairly standard one known and used by the tobacconists of the day all over the land and every mom and pop B&M had one more or less the same give or take a handful of burley or black cav here or there.

To the best of my knowledge the one I seek isn't an OTC so I was hoping to jog the memory of some of the old timers and see what came out.

But, yes, it is probably the case that I will have to cull through a bunch of house blend descriptions of authentic tobacconists and just keep taking a shot until I hit on the right one. Given the number of authentic tobacconists out there it's probably a less-daunting task than it would seem.

7. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Greg, I'm 54 and have not sampled a huge amount of tobacco. But there is one that has a room note that reminds me of being in an old tobacco store on a rainy day... can't quite expalin it, but a very nostalgic & pleasant room note. Last December I was in Manhatten and tried to hit a few tobacco stores, there was one on 5th that was more cigars than pipes, but the room note reminds me of that. It's McClelland Brindle Flake. If nothing else it's great tobacco!

GregL likes this.
  8. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

My grandfather smoked a pipe when I was a child in the 70's and I remember the blue and red SWR pouch. Perhaps that's a lead for you????

9. GregL

GregL Member

I wonder if it could have been Revelation or Edgeworth Ready Rubbed?

Honestly, coming out of Mass this morning I could've sworn I smelled it. There were two older guys in front of me but they went opposite ways and before I could gather my wits, one was too far away and I couldn't quite figure out how to broach the subject with the other one. LOL

10. kb7get

kb7get Member

Coming from the late 60's on with pipe smoking I would think it would be more of SWR, Velvet or Half&Half, ect. Those 3 were the hot selling ones back then that every grocery store or drug store had in stock. PA, Bull Durham, Top and Bugler were top sellers also but more for RYO. This is just going from what we sold in our small family grocery store and what I can remember buying elsewhere back then. In the small towns or even the bigger one there were not many B&M to get tobacco at except a few cigar stores.

11. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

You won't know until you smell it again. Asa kid,baby to about 12, I lived with my grandfather and spent a lot of time with his friends back in the fifties and early sixties. Lots of them smoked pipes, especially the farmers, or smoked RYO. There was one smell that I frequently associated it a couple of them and the office of a local garage mechanic that rolled his own.

Recently ruralhipster sent me a sample of Carter Hall. The first time I lit up a bowl I was instantly transported back to some of places at that time. They were smoking Carter Hall. It had stuck with me for many years. I had an uncle who smoked a pipe and always had a bit of burley twist in his overalls. (farmer) I have not smelled his pipe in anything I've smoked yet. A lot of the old farmers grew their own, made their own twist.

WrightwoodJohn, Scottly and Dondi like this.
  12. GregL

GregL Member

OK, I have to think at this point that, not having actually tried them, what I'm looking for is going to be in the Revelation/Spilman/Distinguished Gentleman/etc family. Walnut is nice but isn't "it".

Thoughts? Other than, of course, "try Revelation/Spilman/etc".

13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I suspect that you aren't remembering any specific tobacco, but rather a generic "pipey" smell, generated by the combination of burley, bright leaf, and some fragrance/topping. I'm certain one of the Revelation clones or Distinguished Gentleman will take you right back to it. Some of the 4noggins blends would do to - Harvest Moon for example.

It's more than possible that blend specific memories are generated by blends that no longer exist - there were dozens and dozens of blends 40-60 years ago that no longer exist. "Tam O Shanter Dark Flake" anyone?

So I suggest that you go with a generic recipe - burley, bright (virginia) and topping, and start poking around. A tin of Half and Half might do the trick... Granger, Kentucky Club..... Prince Albert...

14. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Tam O Shanter? Did you say Tam O Shanter?

15. GregL

GregL Member

Sas, I have a feeling that you are exactly correct. H&H and the aforementioned clones are on my list. Thanks for weighing in!

P.S. I LOVE your avatar. One of the greatest pics and cameo roles of all time. "You are a messenger boy sent by grocery clerks..."

16. Stoked

Stoked Member

So we know it's from the '70's. Since you've indicated it was fairly popular I'm going on the assumption that it from the local cigarette/candy store or drugstore. You stated your hunch is "Burley, VA, and cavendish and/or black cavendish and "old time pipe".

My dad used to smoke this in the 70's, along with his buddies... so here's

My wild guess: Sail 'Regular'. It's a Dutch cavendish, consisting of burley, Va, orientals, and Brazillian. It is very "pipey" smelling and was very popular back in the day.

Hmm, now I gotta smoke some, that I bought in honor of my dearly departed dad, of course.

GregL likes this.
  17. Stoked

Stoked Member

18. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

E. Hoffman's Distinguished Gentleman. It may not be exactly what you're thinking of, but it's an archetypally old-time-pipey sort of blend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.