The Burley Bitters ... Not?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Pecci, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Any opinions on burley blends that won't turn bitter at the bottom? I love burley's, but hate dumping either after the bitterness kicks in. I also hate guessing when the time might come during my enjoyment. That's frustrating!:mad:

2. jeff394

jeff394 Member

There's a fix for that. Quit at 75%.

I'm not sure I've met a Burley that hasn't turned a little bitter towards the end of the smoke.

3. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Yeah, I know. I just hate thinking about that, when the time comes, especially while enjoying.

4. Gig

Gig Member

Some of those burleys are so bitter and sour :confused:

5. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

I don't think Solani's Aged Burley Flake gets bitter.

Then again, I think the perception that Burley gets bitter is rooted in the individual smoker. I know lots of people who say that Carter Hall never gets bitter. But when I smoke it, I find it bitter. My favorite of the old traditional American blends that's still available is Kentucky Club Continental. It never tastes bitter at the bottom for me. For others that seems not to be the case.

6. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

I smoke alot of pegasus and OJK and i dont really notice that phenomenon unless a pipe goes out and i relight it sometime later.
    I should say tho, that i have a hazy memory of what you are talking about, but have not experienced it often.

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Uhle's Blend 00. I've never noticed any bitterness.

But yes, one of the characteristics of burley is that it turns bitter down the bowl. Very slow smoking sometimes cures this.

TedVig and FlatbushPaul like this.
  8. Artistik

Artistik Member

Never noticed that with SWR or CH. Maybe try Boswell's Premium Burley. It has a light vanilla (IMO) topping and stays present throughout the entire smoke.

9. Biggles

Biggles Member

Sugar Barrel smokes sweet 'n nutty all the way to the heel...for me at least...:rolleyes:

10. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I've always associated the mild bitter taste of a good burley blend with that of a fine cigar, a good thing!:th1:

ruffinogold likes this.
  11. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

Brigadier Black Waterloo and 7 Seas Red have never developed a bitter taste for me (both are lightly flavored blends however), nor has SWRA or Carter Hall, in the short time I've been smoking those.

ruffinogold likes this.
  12. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Uhle's #00 & P&W Nut Brown Burley do not get bitter for me, but I do smoke very slow so that might be the answer. Slow smoking cures alot of poor characteristics in many blends.

dmkerr likes this.
  13. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer Member

From my own experience, I noticed BUs can become bitter when relighting after putting the pipe aside for a while. But this happens only in certain tobaccos; while I did not encounter this with PA or CH, nor in Wessex Burley Slice - a must try tobacco for BU fans - I did notice bitterness in Solani's Aged Burley Flake.

14. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I think that SWR has a wisp of a sour and bitter note to it, but I like it.

Rodfather, cobbsmoker and ruffinogold like this.
  15. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I like MB Golden Extra cause it doesn't crap out unless I really spazz on it ... like when I'm doing an eight mile run uphill , I might huff it a bit much .

Smokey likes this.
  16. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I agree, it's what I also enjoy about this blend:th1:

RTOdhner likes this.
  17. Yankee Bill

Yankee Bill Member

I'm smoking some GE now and the last 20% or so is getting a little bitter for me. I'm still enjoying it though. As Ruff said it depends on how you puff it. It tastes so good it's tough to go easy.

ruffinogold likes this.
  18. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Thanks, guys! I think for me it's the bad habit of going too fast.

On another note, I got more GE to try. For the life of me I just can't find much flavor in it. LBL, most likely related to it in some way, is a different story.

19. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Don't feel bad, I have never been able to find any flavor in it either, it's a dull, boring blend for me too!

20. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

We all have our own tastes. I guess that's why there are so many successful blends out there. GE was very tasty to me at one time. Then, I found Kendal Kentucky. I traded all of my GE away soon after. No regrets.

P.S. Those first two sentences are there just to appease our beloved mayor.

ruffinogold likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.