The "Come Around"...

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Coda, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Many months ago, I bought a pouch of Carter Hall. I smoked it...and didnt get it. It was decent, but I didnt think it was anything special. I kind of put it on the back burner, occasionally revisiting it. Then, one day, "came around" and got it. Its now how I start my morning everyday. So anyways, I was thinking earlier. Ive tried a few different Virginias, and none of them have really blown me away. My thought was whether or not I would "come around" on Virgnians.

Has anyone ever "came around" on a particular tobacco, or even a pipe or something like that? Something that you said you didnt like, only to realize your mistake a bit later...

2. taharris

taharris Sales Account

Yes, the same thing happened to me and burley.
    I tried Solani Aged Burley Flake a year ago and all I could taste was mildew.
    I tried it again last week and loved it.

Go figure...

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  3. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

MacB Dark Twist.
    I didn't like it much when I tried it a few/several(?) months ago.
    I sampled it shortly after sampling MacB Va#1 (which I absolutely hated), so that probably blew my perspective.. lol

But recently someone sent me a bit that was aged, seriously aged.
    Wow. Great stuff. I mean really really great. I'm an Escudo guy... the sweetness took some getting use to.

So I tried the "newer" stuff again. Also good. Good enough I might actually buy some.... some day.

4. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I was convinced I didn't really care for burley tobacco very much, other than SWR, until FlatbushPaul sent me some Uhle's #00. Now I smoke tons of burley. Uhle's is amazing. Turned me around on a whole genre of tobacco.

As far as a specific blend, Royal Yacht was like that for me. Didn't like it, then I came back to it awhile later and just loved it. And I still do.

nesta and dwaugh like this.
  5. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Royal Yacht is a really funny thing for me. If I smoke a another tobacco in a pipe that has had Royal Yacht in it I get an intense craving for it. They when I smoke a bowl of RY, I sometimes just don't get it.

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I think Puff said one time, after I first joined, not to throw any tobacco away because you might like it later. There have been several blends that I thought were OK when I was first starting out that I really enjoy now.

Burley in general was pretty terrible to me. I tried several, and then left them alone. PSFers went on and on about the nutty, smooth taste, and I finally gave in after a year and got some Solani ABF. Not only did I love the ABF, now I love many other Burleys too.

Peterson Irish Oak- the sample I got was just OK. Everyone raved about it here, so I got a full tin, but didn't open it for a year. Put it in a big Pete XL14 and now I love it

C&D Briar Fox- OK the first bowl, pretty good the second bowl, love it now

7. Yossarian

Yossarian Member

C&D Burley Flake No. 3. I purchased it after reading some positive reviews on it by a few members, dmkerr in particular. The first couple time I tried I thought it was rancid. After leaving it be for a couple months I now can't get enough of it.

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

GH Best Brown #2. At first...it was super weird, and I wasn't sure I liked it. Then I decided I liked it, but I reeeeally had to be in the mood for something different.

Then I loved it. Now I love it, and I barely even notice the flavoring.

C&D Night Train was another. I actually disliked it the first time I smoked it, and for the next few smokes I disliked the beginning of the bowl. It always seemed harsh and uninviting. I don't know what my deal was, because I get nothing but pleasure from it now.

Finally Grousemoor. It is still a blend I have to "be in the mood" for, but I've grown to really appreciate it's unique qualities. I do prefer the plug to the mixture, but they're both good. In fact, I've got some mixture drying right now to try out in the new meerschaum :th1:

9. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Actually, the opposite for me right now; I liked Latakia when I first tried it but haven't been able to smoke it for a couple months now. I'm thinking it's the hot weather and I'm just waiting for Autumn to try it again. Other than that, Cavendish, the only one I can say I've tried and liked is Captain Black White, started the pipe with it and still love it to this day! Other Cav. baccys, eh, not so much.

10. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Weird, man. I get really intense cravings for it too. However, I've yet to be let down by it. I know some people call it Royal Yuck or whatever, but I love the stuff. Some serious Dunhill voodoo in that one.

And Nesta, that reminds me, another one is Bracken Flake. I was disgusted the first time I tried it, thought it was super weird. I still think it's super weird, but I enjoy it now. Talk about voodoo... Gawith has it in spades. Easily the most fascinating tobacco maker out there, I think.

Oh yeah, and Irish Oak, man that's great stuff! Took me a minute to warm up to it too.

11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I have still to try Bracken, but for some reason I think I'd like it. I do love 1792...I am under the impression they're similar, but that may be way off base.

As for Royal Yacht, I tried it for the first time the other day and I don't love it, but I like it a lot. It reminds me of Erinmore Flake, but slightly less fruity, slightly spicier, less sweet and more strong and with a more ordinary burn quality. If it can be had at a good price, I think it's worth it. More than 12 dollars a tin, and I'll pass in the future most likely.

And with latakia...I have to be in the mood, but I like it. Oddly, I seem to like it best when it's warm out. I think partly because it smokes so cool. I'm anxious to see how that changes this year, though, when I can smoke indoors if I want. (LOVING having my own apartment again, btw :banana:)

12. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

I hated Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Hal o' the Wynd, and Paladin Black Cherry when I first tried them.

I still hate Paladin.

The other 3 are the shizznit, yo.

Preacher1611 likes this.
  13. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Paladin is the only bacca I don't think I will ever come around to!

14. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I thought Sail was too bland when I first tried it 35 or 40 years ago. It tastes the same now as it did then but I've developed a liking for it. I especially like it because it is one of the few OTCs that doesn't have PG in it.

15. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

My B&M sells Sail Yellow, but I dont know If I would like it. Im not too big on cavendish...

16. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I don't like the soggy black type of cavendish but I do like some of the light brown crumble cake sort such as Amphora and Sail. because they taste similar to rubbed out Orlik's Golden Slices and Reiner's Long Golden Flake.

17. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Well, based on that description, I may pick up a pouch. If I dont like it, I'll know who to blame :D...

18. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Heh, heh...yeah, actually I have. The first time I tried Penzance I thought, geez, really...this is a total let down. I went back to it a couple of weeks later and in a clay; completely different experience. Completely!

Mac B Plumcake: I've revisited it several times, and it's s**tsville again and again. Carter Hall: Loved it from the first bowl. Wish I had a truckload of it.

Mount Mandolin, Tsal and Professor like this.
  19. Tsal

Tsal Old Timey

I disliked Plumcake too. Came back to it 6 months later and I still don't like it. On the other hand I came around to a girl who lived up the street. After a few months of haunting me I was like oooooooooook! Now we're havin a baby together! So I guess revisiting is worth a shot.;)

Mount Mandolin and Stonewall like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.